Bench drop sprint.....wtf

Stylee,

as far as ankle stabilizers are concerned I love using SL balance touchdown variations. Great for staying rooted through the ankle and also works the important hip extensors and hamstrings like you mentioned

These notes are old as dirt from a 2002 phone consultation with the late CF-

CF 2002
Most people put deodorant on each day. It’s a very simple thing to do so most people don’t put much (if any) thought into it unless they really start to stink lol
There is a very small window in which it is best to put apply it…when the conditions (created) are just right so in this way-

It’s easier to apply
It goes in deeper so
you can use much less of it
works much better and longer.

The ppl that do stink will keep searching for the right deodorant only to rarely find it in most cases and don’t even consider setting up the right conditions for it to work well.
Sequence and timing.
BTW, I tend to take a cooler shower than most and for me… I apply it within 90 sec. after getting out…just enough time to jot a note or two down.
Hope this makes a little sense lol

Anyways, it’s been awhile since I posted so forgive me.

Also, I don’t know which example applies to the exercise in the vid as I have not seen anything else about his warm-up and work out for her. I will give him the benefit of the doubt however as he seems to know what he is doing.

CF- There is no substitute for good forward planing and clear observation DURING training to adjust as needed.

Any reviews on The Sprinter’s Compendium?

It wasn’t for me

nothing against Ryan but the book was simply about what he does / has done etc. to which I don’t buy into and therefore the book doesn’t hit the mark and is too expensive for that.

Does contain small and I mean small inputs from other coaches, but these are simply not enough and I would say not “as advertised”

It fell short of being the masterpiece it was foreseen as being.

The price did stand out. What exactly don’t you buy into?

Ah yeah sorry should have been clear, I bought the book in hope as advertised that it would be more of a collection of coaches giving their advise and discussion on each element of the training programme and although this does seem to happen, its in a preset QA format where each coach gets a page or maybe 2 to answer several questions, its not a deep dive or real gathering of minds type thing, its definitely in isolation where each received a set of questions and simply provided a response dependant on how they could be bothered at that time I guess.

What it is, is a collection of what you could class as standard information, there is no attempt at coming up with some magic or special training programme, this is simply Ryan’s personal legacy of what he does with his athletes. So in that sense if you was a High school coach starting out etc then this would no doubt be a fair resource. he goes though each and every drill he does with images
and some direction.
Each chapter is 90% Ryans view and what he does and closes with other coaches “comments” if you could pick one up 2nd hand perhaps or around the $20 make id say worth a punt just to have.

For me… I don’t go back to it and I do usually revisit all my books at some point

SHIIIT, I wish I read this earlier, I just ordered a copy set me back $200.00 AUD with the shipping and conversion rate. I was hoping it would be a collection of coaches giving their advice on pertinent topics, however, after reading this it seems this is not going to be the case. Oh well, it might make a good door stop at over 700 pages.

Author here. I would say these opinions are in the minority. Respectfully, everyone is entitled to these opinions expressed here as well. Additionally, most of the training programs in the back are from the other coaches. The last chapter is over 150 pages where a number of contributors provided different plans and training design. For example nearly 30 pages from Vince Anderson on his day to day training. Much of the training present along with drills are derived from other coaches as well. Each chapter starts with some history or mistakes and lessons learned. Then it goes into different ideas about what to do from the different coaches. Most coaches where thorough in their response. In a second addition I would certainly replace some or add some coaches who are more detailed in their response. However, to cover each subject and include their work at the end It was important to not be very repetitive or the book would have been even larger without any value. Then covers the science behind these choices of training and finally finishes with the coaches opinions. That is the key component of the book. Additionally, the book is not to build as a system book. There is no magic bullet. Training is all about choices and that training has consequences no matter what someones training philosophy. Instead its better to align yourself with an “all depends” mode of thinking and apply the classical training systems and new concepts based around the athlete, your facility, timeline and level. The devil is always in the details with anyone’s coaching/training. It goes beyond power cleans, depth jumps, and flying 20 meter sprints. This of course is what makes websites like this one so popular: see ones methods, concepts, and of course controversial topics. With that being said I am always here as a resource if needed. Certainly most of my experience has been at the club and high school level but I am open to take all questions on track and field here! Which is the reason we are all here is to support and help on another. I hope you are all hanging in ok with our current international situation with the lock down, virus, etc.

Nice to see you back. What were the results that year and the next for the young lady in the video? Is it something that is still in your toolbox or was it trashed?

What about sprinting hills mid week the week of Championships? Are those still in the mix?

Inquiring minds want to know.

She won the first ever USATF Women’s decathlon. So a national champ. She can do it all. Currently she is retooling a bit as she transitioned between colleges and covid. She’s a great kid. As for the drill that got a lot of criticism here it is still a component of our training. We usually do this as a part of our speed contrast sessions. We overload sled, the vest, then drop sprint, then flying 20-30ms. Usually no more than 2 sets of each and all out for that unit and session of practice. We go through the order and repeat. Last year our 100 and 400 meter squads were 1st in the state when scored out like a XC meet with your top 5 scoring and your next two being used as kicks. We were also 2nd best in the 200 meters. Not bad for a mid sized high school in Missouri not known for its sports programs. I would say the methods are good. Also things have been adjusted from the influence of Charlie, Tony, and Korfist.

That’s Great. Thanks for answering.
Yes, it is a tough crowd around here still and we call each other out from time to time, but hey, it’s like Family. I love reading the archives.

Ange is doing a terrific job of keeping things going and being a little more relaxed of what’s really going on in this Sport.