Beginners Help.

I have run about 2 years now usually as a form of exercise. Getting about 2-3 miles a day and using that as as a way to keep in shape.

However, in these past couple of days, I’ve been wanting to get faster and faster. I’m phyiscally in great shape, I can score a <5:30 mile, bench 1.5x body weight, and do 100+ pushups. However these don’t seem to cut it. I visit the gym 5-9 times a week, following a diverse schedule. However I don’t donate enough time for speedwork.

Resting pulse rate of 53, doesn’t seem to give me enough strength for the 400meter. My times are about 59:00s, and I want something about 55:00 seconds. I have unlimited time to train, and I’ve been trying to.

However, I lack direction. I don’t know where I’m supposed to be doing. I’ve read about the SprintStar, and I intend to get that, and to get a Nike Triax Elite SDM/HM, but aside from that, I don’t have enough ideas as to what else to get.

I’m hardworking, so if any of you know a harder more dedicated workout that you could offer me that gives good results, feel free to fire it. I don’t care if it means I have to go the gym 2-3 times a day, as I already tend to spend more time outside than at home.

I really don’t know how to begin with this, I’m generally faster than most of my friends, but I have never been timed officially.

Currently, I use Whey Protein after workouts, I might go on Creatine and Glutamine, not really sure about the whole MultiVitamins idea.

So are there any ideas that could help me out here, any rigorous harsh workouts? I’m not afraid of overtraining, I have a high dedication to this. Acturally, I’ve never hit overtraining before, so I don’t really think it can be that affecting toward me. Can anyone even describe “Overtraining” to me? Thanks for the help. You realy have no idea how I appreciate this.

My goals are to break my schools records for everything they have. 100-3200 meters. My school is incredibly unalthetic so I really want this. Thanks.

get the gpp dvd and the cfts from the shop…

Yeah, if you’ve got unlimited time to train then you should really go to the store on this site and buy Charlie Francis Training for Speed (CFTS) and the GPP DVD. It will tell you everything you need to know and will point you in the right direction. As far as your overtraining question and everything else, use the search function and you will find just about everything you need to know.

You go to the gym 9 times a week… wow, that’s quite excessive. I would only go about 2-3 times a week and use the track the rest of the time.

Why don’t you do some speed work at the track, maybe something like this:

Sprint 40 meters
Rest/light jog
Sprint 40 meters
Rest/light jog…

and continue this for a total of 6 sprints