Battle of the CF Products

What about the Vancouver Video Seminar Series? I am still waiting for videos 3 and 4! :eek:

The videos will soon come in DVD format (CF)

Nik,

Vancouver Series 1 comes in DVD format already, as for Vancouver 2; I can say that it will be available in Volumes 1-XX with one on the way shortly.

The content is great, Number2 proves once again why you learn more cf events.

New graphs & and easy to follow layout will make this another series worth watching.

Volume One will weigh in at 2 hours 12 minutes (Give or take a few!).

Don’t forget to get your votes in

Out of everyone who voted, who actually owns or has used/experienced everything on the list?

I have only read speed trap, the only product I know about from the site, so I can only comment on that. It inspired me to stop boxing and take up track.

I 've got:

02 FR-Every time I read it I pick up something new

CTFS- The outline for the whole system. If I were to really study this I dont think I would post as much as I do.

GPP DVD-My prized possesion. Im surprised its getting beat by CTFS.

CT’s books- I like Modern str. better than the black book.

Jane project- my number 3 posession. The only thing Ive tried from this one is the active release and the pool work.

I had an orginal copy of speed trap when it first came out back in 1990. Like a fool I loaned it out to my track team mates thinking it would open their eyes like it did for me. I never saw it again. The number one thing I learned from speed trap was quality work wins over quantity.

only reason its getting beat is because more people own CTFS. GPP is by far the best product on training I’ve seen from ANYONE.

1. CFTS (Charlie Francis Training System)
  2. GPP DVD
  3. Vancouver Series
  4. CF 2002 Forum Review Ebook
  5. Speed Trap

Don’t own these products so opinion on them.

The Jane Project
Chris T’s Black Book of Training Secrets
Chris T’s Modern Strength & Power Methods

Products I would like to see,

1. SPP DVD

2. A biomechanical analysis of Ben Johnson’s races of SEOUL, LOS ANGELES, and his best 50 and 60m performances. As well a comparison of BJ and Carl Lewis’s strides. Also why BJ’s stride is biomechanically efficient compared to other elite sprinters (SEOUL again).

3. Charlies new book on the biomechanics of lifting as well as selection of exercises for sprinters. An explanation on why exercises such as the reverse hyper, reverse leg press, GHG or GHR, (Pg 162) Zatsiosrky’s Plyo swing, (Pg 152) Zatsiosrky’s accentuated ROM swing
    movement exercise, weighted high knees (i.e. grab a 45lb plate and do high knees with one leg while holding onto a squat rack). The list goes on but this is what I have in my sprinters repetoire of exercises for the SPP.

Whatever new products come out, there won’t be any weighted high knees

Why Not? I meant that one leg is the support leg and the other leg is doing a high knee to parallel with a 45lb plate.

What do you think of this exercise for sprinters,

A Back-Glute-Ham-Raise targets the knees as a flexor and the hips as an extensor! To show you what I mean,

[QUOTE=Supervenomsuperman]Why Not? I meant that one leg is the support leg and the other leg is doing a high knee to parallel with a 45lb plate.

What do you think of this exercise for sprinters,

A Back-Glute-Ham-Raise targets the knees as a flexor and the hips as an extensor! To show you what I mean,

Don’t you think there’s more action around the knee than the hip?

I usually go a little lower than that so the hip extension would be more! Also if you go to the bottom you should be able to get 90 degrees of extension around the hip and then 90 degrees of flexion around the knees. Even if there is more action around the knee I believe the whole point of the exercise is the neuromuscular coordination of the erector spinae, glutes, hamstrings, calves! The exercise can be done explosively without wts as well. I believe this was a mainstay of Borzov’s training.

From,

http://www.sportstrength.com/equip/glute.htm

GLUTE HAM BACK MACHINE

[b]Picture this: The great Olympic weightlifter Vasily Alexeev’s ponderous body draped over a gymnastics long horse with his feet wedged between the stall bars of an unbelievably archaic training gym in Moscow’s Lenin Institute of Sport. With four hundred pounds precariously perched behind his head, he explodes for five reps of back raises. There is virtually NO hip extensor involvement, only pure erector spinae contraction. That means 1) tremendous low back limit strength and speed-strength is developed far beyond what any other low back exercise could possibly accomplish, and 2) virtually NO trauma to the tenuous intervertebral discs of the lumbar spine, which is something no other low back exercise ever conceived can claim.

Now picture this: Valery Borzov, the great Russian sprinter (Olympic gold medalist in 1972) in the same archaic setup doing explosive hip extensions followed by an immediate bending of the knees to simulate the glute-ham pull characteristic of sprinters in full stride. He carries 7-0 pounds behind his head. That means 1) far greater gluteal and hamstring speed-strength, which is something no other sprint training exercise can claim, and 2) almost one hundred percent injury-proofing against hamstring pulls, which is also something no other sprint training exercise – or any exercise for that matter – can claim.
[/b]

Over a decade ago, these two training techniques were brought back to the US and the first glute-ham machine was fashioned. It was clumsy to get into and out of, the foot rollers were not adjustable to accommodate big feet and small feet alike, and the padding was unmercifully uncomfortable for the bigger athletes. And it was alarmingly unstable.

Now, for the first time ever, these two fantastic exercises (and several others specifically for athletes) can be accomplished without the foot and ankle discomfort characteristic of earlier models. Also, the rails upon which the foot roller assembly slides are partially removed to allow for easier mounting and dismounting. The saddle-like design of the padding is unbelievably comfortable and stable enough to accommodate even the biggest down-lineman’s prodigious belly! No more shake, rattle and roll! No more unproductive pain and discomfort. Only perfect comfort, stability, safety and design.

This is the kind of technology that allows athletes to focus on the task at hand – sports excellence!

#0012 GLUTE HAM BACK MACHINE

Charlie I am just searching for the answers, I hope some intellegent person can give me some. Whether that be you or Siff or Zatsiosrky or etc… As long as one of the people that I mentor after as a valid explanation as to why one should incoporate this exercise I will be satisfied even if they are wrong! As long as there is some logical reason for utilizing this equipment and the exercise. As a bonus one can do reverse hypers on this machine as well. Although I would probably buy the reverse hyper at elitefts.com bc it can be loaded.

[quote=“Supervenomsuperman”]

It can be used but to keep the ratio in favour of the hips and erector spinae, I’d do the hyper complex in a ratio of at least 2 to 1 to this exercise. BTW, How do you know this was a mainstay of Borzov’s training?

[quote=“Charlie_Francis”]

I’ll sometimes do 2-3 hip extensions followed by 1 knee flexion as one rep on this exercise, for 5-6 reps. Or I’ll hold a med ball and drop it after the hip extension ROM is completed.

[quote=“Charlie_Francis”]

Just taking Hatfields word on it. But I do believe the GHR was originally developed in the former USSR and I believe most elite power athletes were using them. I think what it brings to the table is the unique sequencing of muscle action involvement which resembles the same type of lower body muscle involvment in sprinting. I don’t know of any other posterior chain movement that utilizes the hamstrings so much. What I mean is that I think this exercise is best for the drive phase where the back leg pushes of the ground before getting into the swing phase. The only other exercise I know that would compare is the reverse legpress invented by you as shown in CFTS (if not invented then as least brought to the sprinting world). I will say this, I can easily do any hamstring curl with all the weight on those machines plus add on weight! When I first tried a GHR I could not even do one!

But as you say strength gains in any exercise will strengthen the entire organism; however, the question then becomes which are the best exercises to use?

why so expensive? i’d love to get it but the product’s a bit pricey… especially for those of the college age. i wonder what the profit margin is for each dvd. thanks for any and all answers!

sincerely,
Kurt

GPP is cheap in comparison to the schooling/seminars you’d be attending to get the knowledge presented in the film. I’d be asking your college what their profit margins are on YOUR education, I’m sure you’ll agree we’re far better priced.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

Seriously, the info provided in the GPP DVD is well worth the money!

Hope you can get it one of these days! :wink: