basketball suicide drill...

hi

brand new to the site…so bear with me :slight_smile:

I play basketball and can do a suicide drill in aprox 29 sec wich Im told is really slow…suposedley I need a 25-26 and even 24

Im 5 foot 10…about 180 lb…16-17% bf…

so I know I should reduce my bf a lot to maybe 7-8%

but what sort of speed workout??

I read an article on edt for cycling…1000mt time trial…in 80 sec…goal 70 sec…

so he would do 500 mts in 35 sec(70 sec 1000mt pace)…rest 70 sec and repeat till 500 couldnt be done in 35s…when you could complete 4 of these in 35s…you decreased rest by 5 sec and repeated till 35 sec work 35 sec rest…at wich point you were suposed to be able to do 1000 mts in 70 sec…

is this aplicable to a suicide drill?? it didnt metion how many workouts a week but I guess as many as you can while you are progresing and back of if you cant…also no mention on weight training…

thanx
Santiago

Played jv basketball for one year in hs. I used to jack three’s up from half court in protest of my playing time. The track coach at my school watched one game and told the assitstant " looks like we got another one coming to the track team next year". Do you throw the shot?

dr.sprint

[QUOTE=sagomed2]hi

brand new to the site…so bear with me :slight_smile:

I play basketball and can do a suicide drill in aprox 29 sec wich Im told is really slow…suposedley I need a 25-26 and even 24

Im 5 foot 10…about 180 lb…16-17% bf…

so I know I should reduce my bf a lot to maybe 7-8%

but what sort of speed workout??

I read an article on edt for cycling…1000mt time trial…in 80 sec…goal 70 sec…

so he would do 500 mts in 35 sec(70 sec 1000mt pace)…rest 70 sec and repeat till 500 couldnt be done in 35s…when you could complete 4 of these in 35s…you decreased rest by 5 sec and repeated till 35 sec work 35 sec rest…at wich point you were suposed to be able to do 1000 mts in 70 sec…

is this aplicable to a suicide drill?? it didnt metion how many workouts a week but I guess as many as you can while you are progresing and back of if you cant…also no mention on weight training…

There is NO relationship between cycling and basketball. BBal is a pure power sport with no speed endurance componant AT ALL.
Go ahead and complain, but it’s true. Where the hell are you going to run to? The outskirts of town- or 20 feet?
You need good aerobic (low intensity) fitness, and excellent elastic strength and power.

So basicly Charlie you are saying that a bball player in the off-season needn’t work on lactic endurance but only aerobic and alactic.

That should be the concentration.

Could you possibly go over what methods of training for speed & fitness would be necessary for basketball?

Extensive tempo?
The normal acceleration>max velocity progression.
Anything else?
I don’t see how basketball is that aerobic. There is some, but when people have broken down game tape, it’s been mainly anaerobic. Short intermittent bursts.

If there were two days to get out on the track, what would be the most essential things to work on, or could you rotate?

ok first I dont know what alactic means…

I know you dont run far…but your runing near top speed all the time…a suicide drill seems like good training for that…

if not please advice

as I said before I know basically nothing about speed improvement or endurance hell even the terms lic alactic

Alactic would mean running at 100% or very near to it for less then 10s(expert opinions are very different,this is a very simplified answer).Suicides are often mistaken for a speed drill even though they last over 20s.They are ok for developing agility and some lactic acid endurance but they are not valid for.Unfortunately they are considered by some as a valid test of bball player’s fittness but that’s another story.How old are you?What level bball do you play?At what stage of the season are you in?

ok so its alactic below 10 sec…what about the other stuff? lactic…anaerobic, aerobic??

“Suicides are often mistaken for a speed drill even though they last over 20s”

so shorter sprints are better I would guess…

“They are ok for developing agility and some lactic acid endurance but they are not valid for.Unfortunately they are considered by some as a valid test of bball player’s fittness but that’s another story.”

not valid for? test of bball fitness? what would be a better test??

Im 24 almost 25…Im not in season when I was in college I played with national level player(Mexico), and played with some when I was a kid…

havent played much in about 3 years…just geting back into it…and conditioning is a problem :slight_smile:

You are right shorter sprints are the most important thing for bball fitness.Anaerobic lactic,alactic,aerobic-too little space here to explain in detail.Look it up in any exercise physiology book, essential stuff.Think of 100m sprint as alactic,200-400 as lactic,over 800m as aerobic(this is an oversimplified version).Besides sprints you need to have an aerobic base(ability to run over longer distances) to help you recover in between bouts of sprinting(outs,fouls,time outs…).If your conditioning is realy poor I would suggest you start with running longer distances at an easy pace and for a short while and then focus on shorter distances.

Basketball is one of those sports where the best method of training is actually playing the game. At least I think so. I played basketball from the age of 11 til i turned about 20. And the best thing to do was actually play the game. Then if you have noone to play with then you can work on your individual game. For example, practicing jump shots, making sure that your releasing the ball at the peak of your jump, and really working on getting up over a would be defender. Practice dribbling up and down the court, all that kind of stuff gets you in condition and helps to improve your game at the same time.

jus my 2 lil pennies…

Well, I’ve been playing basketball since I was about 5 years old. I played varsity in high school all 4 years (yes, I was on varsity as a freshman; just didn’t play). And now, I’m on scholarship at an NAIA school to play basketball. I was redshirted this year due to an injury over the summer, but enough about me.

My point behind all that backround information I gave you is this, all of my coaches from 5 years old to now, have told me the same reason for running gassers (suicides). They’ve all said that the reason coaches make players run them is too see how long they can last running 90 feet back-and-forth. So you shouldn’t worry about your time. Its more of a mental test really. How ever long it takes you to complete a set is secondary. Yeah, you need to get faster and faster so you can last longer during a high tempo’d game. But overall, worry more about completing the set as well as your form while running. After you realize you can complete every set easily with good form, then work on your speed.

That’s just my thoughts…

I think you’re right but playing fullcourt as a method of conditioning might be ok for someone seriously out of shape or at a very low level of competition but has limitations for higher level basketball.
The trend nowdays is to use specialy designed on court conditioning drills and adjust the duration to the energy system being worked.

I disagree with all. Look at the amount of time you are on a basketball court. Even with timeouts ect you are still moving at a contious rate. All it takes is for one ten second sprint for most sprinters to be done. Try throwing maurice greene in a 45 minute game and see what happens. The faster you are as a sprinter probally the less chance you have at being good at a sport such as basketball. Its not a speed sport. Not even at the 20ft distance. And to me who really cares. Its fun to watch. Power is not needed just size, and most of those guys are over 6 feet which elimates the need to even jump to dunk a basketball. You put guys in the NBA in football uniforms or enter them in track and field events and it would be a bloody mess.

-dr.sprint

Put a guy who only played football in a basketball game hmmm that would be entertaining. It’s a speed sport but it’s not about linear speed,more like first step quickness and reaction time to unpredictable stimulii while showing great coordination with the ball.NBA players are great all round athletes (especialy some guards and forwards) some have standing verticals similar to word class high jumpers.Brains are needed too.

Truedat! Basketball players are great athletes. So are soccer players. So are sprinters. All in different ways however. I wish I could say I believe basketball isnt a speed-endurance related sport though if I said that I would be lying. Maybe Ill see the light someday.

dr.sprint

ok

what about improving stop and go and change of direction??

I’ll go for the required number of suicides and then improve speed

my vertical could use some help like 27 inch standin…32 with one drop step…but once I drop my fat(16-17%) everything will improve…

You can do a lot to drop your suicide time if you are not already doing the following:

1. Start/count steps: Stand with your take-off foot forward (whichever your strong foot is for a one-leg dunk/lay-up). On the whistle know that you will be taking two STRONG steps and jumping. By your secind step you should already be dropping/turning your body.

2. Turn: If your strong leg is your left, you will have jumped off it for your second step, get low in the turn so you are reaching for the foul line with your right hand. You will land sideways (or even facing back towards the next line!) with your right foot and hand near the foul line, and basically bounce out of this landing back towards the baseline. NOTICE that after you touch the line your strong leg is now forward–so as with the start repeat the two step jump turn pattern towards the baseline.

And thats it…you need to accelerate fast but this is a function of getting in a good position coming out of the stops. Eye the line, plant yourself sideways well before it and reach for it while you are changing directions. If you are low and look athletic your coach probalby will not notice if your hand didnt quite get the line so dont break your pattern no matter what.

Once you get this movement pattern down you will save a lot of time and a tonne of effort. I would never lose a suicide, even against faster sprinters, simply because I used smart turns and always knew what to do with each step.

Let me know if that helps,

P

that sounds great

will try it tomorrow

any more tips for bball??

=)

To employ a nerdy analogy, think of the matrix when they would load Neo with a ‘program’ which is a skill he would then be able to perform.

I think basketball is a lot like this. You have to spend hours in the gym learning small movement patters until they are ‘programmed’ into your muscle memory. The more programs you have, the greater number of things you will be able to do on the court, which should mean you are a more effective player.

To summarize, the key is repetition of skills performed properly.