Barry Ross question about deadlift

Sounds good, except of course what you propose is not possible. You would have to convince me that measured ground reaction force of 3 times bodyweight or greater comes from the concentric contraction of a single leg and that contraction must occur in less than .05 seconds. You would also have to explain why ground reaction force plate measurements will not show any force application to the ground at the very point you are proposing.
Your analogy of springs is lacking in several areas. First, eccentric contractions are elongations not compressions. That fact explains why no force measurements should or would occur at the point you claim they do.
Second, it is certainly true that elastic energy can, and is, stored as potential energy during an eccentric contraction, just as it is true that the potential elastic energy stored is dissipated as heat if not used immediately. Absorbtion (to retain wholly, without reflection or transmission) of potential elastic energy is the allowance of that energy to dissipate as heat. A depth jump without rebound absorbs the stored elastic energy created.
Third,

Muscle/tendon stiffness along with tendon length, during the eccentric phase of a ground contact (be it running foot strike or drop from height) begets eccentric RFD and on to dictating GRF which ultimately determines Ground Contact Time.
is simply not true. Eccentric RFD cannot dictate GRF because the force is in the opposite direction.

One does have to agree or disagree with the spring-mass model because it is not complimentary to the alternatives. The model works in its entirety or not at all.

I am doubtful I can convince you of anything. My mind is not as sharp as I would need it to be. Are you saying that concentric work is / can exist in a vaccum and thus not be affected by the proceeding eccentric or isometric work?

And how do your thoughts relate to involuntary concentric contraction(s)?

How about “Eccentric RFD cannot dictate GRF because the force is in the opposite direction” Not being full vested in Dr Weyland’s work, would you tell what it is that determines the quality/nature of the GRF?

Were we talking about an un or undertrained person, that would be one thing, but I dont accept your discounting of the eccentric contraction.

I guess the word absorption has a different meaning to me. I do understand your definition so perhaps “store” is a better term.

The SMM is only good for the time it takes until the next, more accurate model to come from the scientific community.

If you’re asking me if there is an agonist-antagonist relationship existant in a contraction, then I would have to say yes. However, I don’t believe isometrics are really contractions because the muscles neither lengthen nor shorten, so they could exist in what you’re describing as a vacuum.

As the COM passes over the grounded foot, there is an enormous eccentric stretch throughout the entire posterior chain. The release of that “forced” stretch causes the muscles to immediately shorten in the direction of the mass, pulling the foot up off the ground. In addition, the release of tension will cause an involuntary concentric contraction of the calf muscle causing the foot to pull back in what appears to be a push-off. Again, no ground reaction forces are found there.

The SMM is only good for the time it takes until the next, more accurate model to come from the scientific community.

That may be true, but over the last 25-30 years of research, it appears that is more favored now than ever. Each new study seems to increase its validity in both bipedal and quadripedal locomotion. Even four legged creatures only use one limb at a time and are subject to the same effects we are.

Interestingly, one study showed that greyhounds may be able to run faster on a curve than on the straight because their hips can rotate to maximise centripetal force.

You’re editing faster than I can respond :smiley:

Ground reaction force is the force the earth returns to the runner at ground contact. It’s just Newton’s 3rd law.

Training, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with eccentric contractions in sprinting. An untrained or undertrained runner will dissipate force over a greater area, so the effect of GRF will be less. In addition, speed will be less so the downward acceleration will be less than a better trained runner. The mass of both is also of great importance because it is the other factor of force.

There are so many factors in “studies” that you have to be careful. for example, the greyhound may appear to go faster around a curve cause he’s chasing the mechanical rabbit, which runs inside. when they hit the curve, the rabbit has the inside track and would move away if the greyhound didn’t step it up a notch.

Wow, where to begin?

“I don’t believe isometrics are really contractions because the muscles neither lengthen nor shorten”

Isometric contractions are muscle’s contractile expression of tension not direction. For example isnt Rigor Mortis the ultimate isometric contraction?

“Your analogy of springs is lacking in several areas. First, eccentric contractions are elongations not compressions. That fact explains why no force measurements should or would occur at the point you claim they do.”

A spring can work in more than one direction. As we near mosquito season I am counting on my screen door to close! Muscles work in both directions. Granted, the amplitude may differ between ecc & conc. but isnt there force present in both? voluntary or involuntary? lengthening and shortening?

“A depth jump without rebound absorbs the stored elastic energy created”

Again, I apologize for my use of the term absorb. Perhaps I should say store? In either case, I use depth “landings” to train an athlete to become better at stabilizing and absorb/storage. For me to take them to depth drop with rebounds, I am looking for improvements in stabilizing & absorption to a point where the involuntary concentrics start to occur in free form (non-instructed) This to me relates directly with the power curve.

“Ground reaction force is the force the earth returns to the runner at ground contact. It’s just Newton’s 3rd law”

Running/jumping is an elastic activity. When foot strike occurs, the force on the Earth is the same as Earth’s force on the foot. However, due to the athlete being of far less mass than the earth, Newton’s second law predicts that the athlete’s acceleration will be much greater. Greater force brought to bear = greater potential Ground Reaction Forces.
If you are going to ding me on my use of the term absorb, then I question the use of the word reaction when used in GRF.
Reaction syn: respond, result. Response to what? or Result of what? Previous application of force to the ground that occured when?

Maybe I am not understanding you here. At least some of the disconnect may come from your being tethered to the Weyland study. A study realying on work from a treadmill and then assigning the attributes of a spring 1:1 to the sprinting action, does not work for me in a real-world application sense. In the athletic arena, there are so many variables that dont fit the consistancy / harmonics of a spring. This also may be where you and I differ on the idea of isometric contribution to sprinting/jumping. Stabilization to my view, is huge in optimal force application and return, decreased switching/reduced contact times, etc, in real world / real time applications.

“Training, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with eccentric contractions in sprinting.”

Not sure where to even begin with this one so I will defer…

5th IOC World Congress on Sport Sciences
with the Annual Conference of Science and Medicine in Sport 1999
Sydney 31 October -5 November 1999

Relationships among ground contact time, eccentric musculotendinous stiffness, and eccentric rate of force development during stretch-shortening cycle jumps

J.P. Hunter* & R.N. Marshall Department of Sport and Exercise Science, University of Auckland, New Zealand

…It was concluded that the level of musculotendinous stiffness during the eccentric phase of a SSC jump is strongly related to the eccentric rate of force development and both are, in part, probable determinants of ground contact time.

Hmmm, I see no connection to what I wrote. :confused:

A spring can work in more than one direction. As we near mosquito season I am counting on my screen door to close! Muscles work in both directions. Granted, the amplitude may differ between ecc & conc. but isnt there force present in both? voluntary or involuntary? lengthening and shortening?

Yes a spring can work in one direction. Yes, you can count on your screen door to close. Yes, muscles work in both directions. Yes, amplitude may differ between ecc and conc. Yes, there is force present in both. Yes, something is voluntary or involuntary. Yes, shortening and lengthening occurs. Yes, the spring mass-model is based on the impulse that occurs from muscles rapidly lengthening then immediately shortening after the falling body contacts the ground and creates ground reaction force. Yes, this is not a matter of debate, it’s what actually happens regardless of whether or not your screendoor lives up to your expectations.

Again, I apologize for my use of the term absorb. Perhaps I should say store? In either case, I use depth “landings” to train an athlete to become better at stabilizing and absorb/storage. For me to take them to depth drop with rebounds, I am looking for improvements in stabilizing & absorption to a point where the involuntary concentrics start to occur in free form (non-instructed) This to me relates directly with the power curve.

I think that whatever it is you’re saying must have some merit for you to say it so eloquently. It’s especially exciting that there is a connection, a bonding so to speak, with the power curve. I think that what you ultimately will accomplish is a non-instructed, free form involuntary concentric contraction that would most likely have occured regardless of the non-instruction instruction that preceeded it.

Running/jumping is an elastic activity. When foot strike occurs, the force on the Earth is the same as Earth’s force on the foot. However, due to the athlete being of far less mass than the earth, Newton’s second law predicts that the athlete’s acceleration will be much greater.
Greater force brought to bear = greater potential Ground Reaction Forces.
If you are going to ding me on my use of the term absorb, then I question the use of the word reaction when used in GRF.
Reaction syn: respond, result. Response to what? or Result of what? Previous application of force to the ground that occured when?

F=ma. In running, the body elevates against the force of gravity, then falls. The mass of the body accelerates down. Acceleration of the mass = force. At touchdown, the force created by the the body striking is returned in equal measure by the earth. This force as been measured by ground force reaction plates; it is not specutlation. At this point, touchdown, the creation and storage of elastic energy occurs when the ground reaction force strikes the foot. Stored energy is released as the COM passes over the grounded foot. In addition to the ground reaction force pushing against the grounded foot, the release of elastic energy is realized, in an upward direction, putting the runner back into the air to repeat the cycle. This cycle can’t occur endlessly because the elastic response ultimately weakens to the point where creation, storage and release are no longer viable in maintaing the cycle.

Maybe I am not understanding you here. At least some of the disconnect may come from your being tethered to the Weyland study. A study realying on work from a treadmill and then assigning the attributes of a spring 1:1 to the sprinting action, does not work for me in a real-world application sense.

I can see how that could be. Those tethered to old, unproven and misapplied coaching theories always believe that things that are proven and correctly applied don’t work for them. I know I did, for awhile anyway. I think. The rest is kind of a typical strawman argument. The way to remove your tether is explain how measured forces can be so much higher and faster than what could be produce by chemical muscle mechanical work from any human being, or any animal for that matter.

In the athletic arena, there are so many variables that dont fit the consistancy / harmonics of a spring. This also may be where you and I differ on the idea of isometric contribution to sprinting/jumping. Stabilization to my view, is huge in optimal force application and return, decreased switching/reduced contact times, etc, in real world / real time applications.

I’m sorry, but your argument is not with me, it is with every locomotion expert. The concept of the spring-mass model as an explanation of measured forces, measured metabolic costs, etc, had its beginnings dating from 1964, and has had ample research from the 1970’s to the present. Only coaches, whose expertise is not in science, and even less in research methods (i.e., the “problems with treadmill testing are blah blah blah”) refuse to accept the results and the concept.

The bottom line is simple, from Parmenides: what is is. Doesn’t matter whether or not we like it, hate it, accept or deny it.

“Training, or lack thereof, has nothing to do with eccentric contractions in sprinting.”

Not sure where to even begin with this one so I will defer…

5th IOC World Congress on Sport Sciences
with the Annual Conference of Science and Medicine in Sport 1999
Sydney 31 October -5 November 1999

No need to defer! Your statement and question:

"[i] How about “Eccentric RFD cannot dictate GRF because the force is in the opposite direction” Not being full vested in Dr Weyland’s work, would you tell what it is that determines the quality/nature of the GRF?

Were we talking about an un or undertrained person, that would be one thing, but I dont accept your discounting of the eccentric contraction. [/quote][/i]

Elicited my response. I did not discount eccentric contractions. I said they cannot dictate GRF. Much of what your saying in this discussion follows this same line. You make connections where they don’t exist and break them when they do exist.

It would be extremely difficult to run without eccentric contractions. GRF is caused by something striking the ground. Eccentric contractions of the posterior chain are CAUSED when striking the ground, they do not cause ground reaction force, accelerating body mass does. The cause of both GRF and elastic reponse is the falling body striking the ground.

i’ve only been here a few days but this argument is… to say the least, fascinating.

so you are talking about parallel squats, not full…also do you suggest mixed grip or clean grip un DL?

“I don’t believe isometrics are really contractions because the muscles neither lengthen nor shorten”

im hoping that you realize that isometric refers more to joint angle more than individual fiber length. as anyone who has studied muscle physiology knows muscle sarcomeres turn on and maintain that contraction for only a very brief time before the contraction is ended. it is only the net sum of these individual contractions which produces external movement. so muscle contractions do occur during isometrics the rate of which is dependent on alpha motor neuron firing frequnecy.