Barry Ross on Ben and Maurice!

Perhaps, but my point was that when two methods are compared neither provides an unequivocally correct measurement, hence we have to assess the degree of agreement. A product moment correlation coefficient between the results of the two measurement methods would not necessarily indicate agreement. Such a measurement shows the strength of a relationship between two variables, not the agreement between them. After all it would be surprising if two methods desigend to measure the same quantity were not related… Perhaps a plot of the difference between the methods against their mean may be more informative. This, because I didn’t want to pass on the impression that I just made a comment before…

Of course, this isn’t a point against the procedure and/or your positive experiences with it!

That is quite cool. Is the 30-40s run from a flying start as well?

Thanks,

TC

We do all runs from a flying start. What we’re doing is using the numbers to give a prediction of what the runner should be able to run, then using some percent of that, in this case either 95% or 91.5% as the workout goal. I would like to see a minimum of 5 runs in the goal time. If there are less than 5, the athlete may have a lower capacity then expected. This tells me that we need to do more work on increasing potential elastic energy storage or increasing the rate of release of elastic energy as contact times diminish. Both can be accomplished in the weightroom, to a certain extent, but the release of energy needs work on the track as well.
The concept of using submaximal “testing” of maximal effort runs is the same as we do for weight training. Failure to make the time in the run is the same as missing a lift. Beyond that point the work becomes either more lactic or even aerobic and is of no benefit to our training.

LMFAO, I just read this a little later then everybody else. Nontheless, Ben Johnson a bodybuilder? If you were to judge a book by its cover then there is no way you would think Ben Johnson could Bench over 450lbs. Hell usually the first people that come to mind that can do that kind of weight are those fat world’s strongest man competitors (no disrespect intended). Sacroplasmic hypertrophy is what makes bodybuilders look they way they do (bloated). I have never seen Ben look like a bodybuilder but yet he ascertained the strength level of the worlds strongest man competitors.

LOL

Why’s that, Bear? Why 5 reps? Does it relate to the total duration you want an athlete to achieve for a certain distance?
Thanks!

I should have added a caveat to the minimum of 5—that’s for the shorter runs. It’s not for a total duration, I just don’t think less than 5 runs at short distances is enough work either plyometrically or elastically. It also might mean that the efforts are greater than the 90-95 % effort I would like to see or the runner is just having a bad day.