Athletic Choice

I would appreciate feedback from as many on the Forum as possible.

I am new to track and field, and am having trouble choosing an event, or having an event choose me (if that makes sense). I am a college graduate, having played basketball through my senior year at a Division III level. I am currently in a doctoral program for physical therapy and rehabilitation and am working in an orthopedic rehabilitation clinic, so time for training is available, but would not be unlimited.

An orthopedist adjacent to the office in which I work is a competitive sprinter, in a 40-49 age bracket. Through him and his sponsor track and field club, I have had access to a track and ran with a few people that he trains in the club. I performed well in the 100m and 200m, despite my raw form. I also enjoyed throwing with the shotputters and discus throwers when I was done sprinting.

I am built more like a 200m or 400m sprinter (6’3 and 1/4", 186#), but am more “fast twitch” than I look (perhaps from many years of basketball). I just want to have competitive fun at this point, but do want to train seriously as well. So my question is…

Should I choose and train for the event for which I am built (200m, 400m)? Or should I go for what I enjoyed more (100m, and as odd as it sounds, the throwing events)?

I know this is a somewhat vague question, and that newbies can be annoying to deal with for those of you that are experienced, but I just want some guidance. I still have competitive juices and I have always regretted not participating in track and field in high school and college. It is never too late to at least try.

Forgot to add…to anyone that takes the time to write back. BE HONEST!

I can take criticism, so if someone feels I am too late to start athletics, too tall for 100m, too small for throwing, just say so and explain why.

I value the opinions of those of you on the Forum with me.

Cancel what?

Do what you like doing. Perhaps you like doing the 400m and just dont know it??

Do all of it! If you enjoy it, then do it! Even if you are necessarily “built” for a certain event. Seriously, you should try everything when you are new to the sport. You could find that after training you might be a good decathlete (or happen to have a good built for an event without knowing it).

If you have the opportunity and a coach at that club, you didnt mention it so maybe not, definately try pole vault.

No offence to anyone else on this board, but its the best event by far. And you can do almost anything in training and it can be related to pole vault.

You would also be using all the skills you have mentioned that you have

Sprinting, because you need to run
Throwing, upper body power
Jumping, for a good take-off

If you did get into decathlon you’d need it anyway.

too tall for a 100m runner? you go and tell asafa hes too tall. oh and carl lewis too. but yeah try everything you might discover something you’ll love.

Many thanks to all thus far.

It is true, Boldwarrior, that I have never tried the 400m, so I could very well enjoy the event.

In response to pole vaulting, I would be happy to attempt it, but I do not have anyone at the club that could coach me in any event besides the 100m or 200m. Obviously this is a matter to take into consideration.

Try a variety of events and see what happens. There are quite a few body types that are successful in each event (100m–mo/asafa/ben, 400m–MJ/Jeremy Wariner/etc.).

Where in Pittsburgh are you located? There are a few members in the area. If you were interested in throwing, let me know because there is a decent sized group in my area that is pretty decent.

Without a coach its just far too unsafe and not worth the hospital time.

Davan,

In the South Hills, specifically the Jefferson Hills and Clairton area.

Work in Mount Lebanon though, and go to school in the Shadyside part of Pittsburgh, so I get around.

Paulvaulter…thank you for the honesty about pole vaulting. I know of no coach, and hospital time is not what I want/need.