Athletes Performance- Jonathan Stewart

Not sure how many SC coaches you really want to be thanking. I’m pretty sure James Smith has made plenty of points regarding this. But I know I want to thank my SC coach for the fantastic program consisting of 3 sets of 12 for hang cleans, 0 posterior chain strengthening, suggestion of 2 mile runs, etc. I know he helped my 40 time.

Don’t know how anybody is cheating regarding the combine. That’s like saying hiring a renown track coach to help your start mechanics in the 100m is cheating, oooooook if you say so. But it’s good to know that with MILLIONS of dollars on the line, there’s still people out there who won’t “cheat” to get better, gives the rest of us “cheaters” a leg up on them. I mean hey, it’s worth it, running .2 seconds slower in the 40, losing a few million dollars and a chance of a lifetime knowing that you were one of the few who didn’t “cheat” to get better. Rrrrrrrrright.

univ of oregon
usc
lsu
wake forest

also just because a program dont do what you think may be solid training doesnt make it bad now, everyone dont have to believe in hi/low training or westside.

Chump change if it helps you move up the draft boards. You get drafted, very high chance you’re going to be on the roster. You make the roster you make a minimum of about 500,000$ a year.

Have to remember, you can be a good player but you run a bad 40 time your stock falls. You can be any kind of player, run a great 40 your stock automatically went up. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s the way it is.

Ok but let’s be real, people like USC strength coach could sit on his ass for three years and they’d still produce multiple first round picks. You really think Chris Carlisle had anything to do with Reggie Bush winning the heisman? You really think Chris Carlisle was THAT important in Reggie Bush running a 4.33 40?

Fact of the matter is big time strength coaches have little impact on the success of their players. Just look at how many players from Michigan are in the NFL and how awful Michigan’s strength program has been. And then when it comes time for the combine barely any of them stay with their strength coach from school. It’s not like their strength coach at school is practicing 40 technique for three years in prepartion for the combine.

yeh actually chris did improve reggie 40yd dash and this is why usc guys stay at usc to train for combine. we will see how many first round picks pitt produce.

Bush ran a 10.42 as a junior in the 100 in high school. You really think Carlisle lowered his time? What, like 2 hundreths? Seriously dude, if you think Bush couldn’t wake up and crap a 4.3 and change then I don’t know what to tell you.

http://www.dyestat.com/state/ca/2out/statemeet/r-10.htm

And considering bush is doing one of the most obvious no no’s for a 40, raising his arm, Carlisle didn’t teach him much

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pJ4faK6n7lE

But then again, maybe he didn’t want Reggie to be considered a “cheater.”

The fact pitt doesn’t produce as many first round picks is my exact point. They don’t get the football players or the athletes USC does. USC could have no SC program and still beat Pitt 9 out of 10. No matter how great the SC program at Pitt is they aren’t going to make USC type players because they don’t GET USC players.

Point being, very few top level college players are a product of their training/SC program. Majority are where they are in spite of it.

Just think about it, how could training a 120 players all on the EXACT same program (what most schools do) be the cause for one player’s remarkable success.

blah blah blah blah. reggie ran a 4.4 when he reported to usc. anyways keep believing what you want.

Granted Reggie Bush was fast before he got to USC, he put on significant muscle and ran a faster 40 (4.33e is a lot better than most of the other 4.3 crap you see out there). From what I have read from Carlisle, he would say himself that most of the credit goes to Bush and his genetics, but a lot of guys (like Michigan and PSU) then to not take the guys and allow them to develop to the level they are capable of.

It’s an interesting thing- how we, as coaches of physical preparation, might qualify our efforts.

If we focus only on the gross abilities- which is certainly the case amongst the majority- then the measure is obviously the degree of improvement in short sprint times, jump height/distance, strength numbers, limited injuries, etcetera.

What we also know, however, is that these numbers can be very impressive yet not fully realized on the field if the other aspects of preparation are underdeveloped (tactics, technique, psychology, and so on).

If we then, as I choose to, integrate SPP methods alongside the GPP that the industry generally limits itself to, we will ensure a greater reliability of the training efforts realizing themselves on the field.

Difficult it is, however, to qualify these efforts (SPP in the physical preparation) because the skill coaches are also drilling aspects of this during spring ball, camp, and seasonal practice. Consequently, who’s to say that one aspect of the coaching is having a more meaningful impact than another.

As I have discussed, the SPP drills that I incorporate into the training take place during the times other than spring ball, camp, and season in order to fill the voids. Again, how we might qualify this approach is much more feasible in the theoretical and local sense. By local I mean amongst a particular coaching staff who unanimously agrees that a particular course of action makes great sense despite what outside observers may think.

To the outside observer, however, a number of conclusions will always be drawn.

I think what’s most important is that the awareness of what it takes to assist the athlete in his/her most complete and long term development is possessed by all coaches.

To this end, I’d like to think that everyone agrees on the following criteria of what the training program must fulfill:

• evolution (month to month, year to year)
  • individualization (by player, position, needs, etc)
  • systematization/sequence (mindful of events within the annual plan, what biological systems must be strengthened first in order that others may be strengthened next, etcetera)
  • transference (are the athletes being trained according to the bioenergetic and biodynamic structure of the sport demands, and are practices following suite)
  • orthopedics (are the training means filtered through a cost:benefit based not only upon the individual athletes state but also the sport demands)
  • coaching tactics (are we multi-faceted enough in our communication ability and creative resource to ‘get through’ to all of our athletes)
  • and so on

We can all debate over this exercise and that exercise, and this method of planning and that method of planning; however, in the end I’m not sure that anyone is truly qualified to physically prepare athletes if they do not adhere to the criteria listed above.

As to who is running the (insert your favorite adjective here) program- perhaps not enough information is available to those outside of any particular program to draw the most objective conclusion.

Bottom line is, if you’re out there, and talented, they’ll find you…

PS - I think the Pitt guys will do just fine if they have the players to be drafted - even if they don’t do the olympic lifts;)

look like jammal charles is training at velocity sports in cali.

Where did you see that?

nfl.com

Seems like everyone likes to use the sled

they are great when training for the 40yd dash, you should know that.

Oh I agree 100%, I absolutely love the sled. Even more so I like starts with an elastic band, I find that a few of these starts can really potentiate a faster subsequent sprint.

are you talking about overspeed starts?

I’m talking about doing resisted starts immediately prior to a sprint to enhance the sprint, I’ve found that it really improves the drive out of the start.

oic, i dont like the bands with athletes bc the athlete giving the resistance are not allow to rest and at times they dont know how much pressure to apply etc.

I can see that, I really like the feeling better than that of the sled though. The resistance feels smoother.