Articles Written By Jay Schroeder Of Evosport

elucas, who is jeremy diamond?

I think Jeremy Diamond is lou diamond phillips brother? :smiley: , as for elukas, I heard the same thing!

And all this time I thought DB Hammer was the guy ‘on the grassy knoll’ at JFK’s assassination.

For more info on EQIs please make sure to check-out my chapter in Christian Thibaudeau’s “Modern Strength & Power Methods” available on this site.

I don’t want to sound like a dumbass but who are you and what have you done in the athletics field? This is not a personal attack but I am just curious as to who you are and etc.

P.S. You are obviously somebody if you’ve written in his book but I would like more info. Thanks.

I believed Tony Schwartz has interned with Jay Schroeder :slight_smile:

EQI’s rock!

Wonder how much that would cost? :eek:

Getting back to the thread topic, if that’s the case (Schwartz interning with Jay) I guess another part of the mystery man’s programs are solved in CT’s book. Combine this with DB Hammers material and the “Freak of Training” DVD and the puzzle starts getting solved!

SVS I asked Jay last year to intern, he said he mostly does it through Northeastern University, not sure if that still holds true but I think one of his sons goes there…he told me to keep contacting him to see if a summer spot opened but it didn’t, as far as I know, he was not gonna charge me anything.

What’s the difference between EQI and a static passive stretch? There’s none in my opinion.

I have worked with a variety of athletes in various sports (American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc.) at all levels (young kids through professionals).
I currently work with Dr. Michael Yessis and Ultimate Athlete Concepts, Inc. where I coordinate the training of athletes with a variety of advanced protocols from various sources.
Not sure what other info you are looking for. I have written a few articles with Dr. Yessis and just completed a seminar with Dr. Yessis and Dr. Verkhoshanksi. I don’t know if links are allowed here, but if you ask around I’m sure you’ll find the necessary info.

I’ve heard this rumor several times, but I have actually never interned with Jay. I have discussed things with him on multiple occasions however.

And yes, EQIs do rock!

Have you read the chapter in CT’s book? I’m guessing not, as the bulk of the chapter discusses the differences between the two.
There is a huge difference between passive stretching and EQIs.

That is correct I haven’t read the chapter. My conclusion has been based on your posts on this forum. Could you post extracts of your chapter or provide evidence supporting EQIs?

EQIs engage the series elastic components and parallel elastic components, while passive stretches only engage the parallel elastic components. This makes a huge difference in whether or not flexibility improvements will transfer to dynamic actions.

The book goes into much greater detail with studies to back up the claims.

Tony, I enjoyed the part on EQI’s in CT’s book, have you used them excessively with your athletes? If you do use them, do you put them before or after the session, the book says you can do either. Also what do you try to build up to until you add weight? I am assuming that the EQI’s are the same thing as Jay Schroder’s iso extreme bench press, where you hold a db on your back in the eqi push up position. Thanks for any info!

Gains in flexibility are primarily due to the neural desensitisation that occurs not structural changes?

I believe EQIs should be included in the programs of all athletes, as such they are included in the programs of the athletes I work with. They are utilized either before or after the rest of the strength training. Whether to use them before or after depends on the athlete.

As far as adding weight, that is something I didn’t really get into in the book, but it is definitely something that I like to incorporate. There is not a specific time that tells me that the athlete is ready for the additional weight, it is a more involved process where you must judge the overall ability of the athlete and weigh that against the cost/benefits of the exercise.

Jay’s extreme isos are very similar to EQIs. In fact, Jay is the reason I initially began to look into EQIs. I can’t really comment on just how similar EQIs and Jay’s extreme isos are, as only Jay has a full understanding of his methods.

This depends on the specific situation.

Could you please give examples?

The flexibility of an athlete can be inhibited by the various mechanoreceptors in the muscle and tendon. Lowering the inhibition from these receptors can lead to an increase in flexibility. This is the neural desensitization you were referring to. Whether this is desirable is another topic.

Additionally, muscle can be in a contracted state. This can also inhibit flexibility. By re-lengthening the muscle (structural change) you restore flexibility while increasing the ability of the muscle to produce force, recover, etc. This is what EQIs do.