Angelo Taylor on training

http://www.athletics.com.au/coaches/2474/videos/untitled/400m-400mh/part_a_-_angelo_taylor

HOPE THIS LINK WORKS. IT GOES TO AN INTERVIEW WITH ANGELO TAYLOR, TWO-TIME US OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALLIST AT 400M HURDLES. ANGELO RAN 44.8 IN THE 400M FLAT IN STOCKHOLM (29July2011) - 11 YEARS AFTER WINNING HIS FIRST OLYMPIC TITLE!

I thought it presented a candid look at an elite performer through various stages of development. I remember his days vividly at GT.

+1 Thanks KK!

I enjoyed that very much. Thank you KK.

What did you guys learn?

For one, not all long sprinters like 150’s! Seemed to be more of a SpecEnd/Ext Tempo type athlete with genetic sprint qualities.

Kitkat, any thoughts on Eric H’s presentation on 400m training that is on the same site…?

What TMSSF said!

Not much. But it reinforced many things I saw first hand. My brother made it to the 1980 Olympics and the training Taylor did was the same thing my brother was doing in the 80’s. Def true about the 500’s. That training got him down to 1:0x in the indoor 500. Derrick Atkins is here in NYC (I see him at the armory all the time) and he does similar training too. Good to hear that this training can work for some one with an endurance type body.

I attended Eric’s presentation (also asked some questions of him, and of Angello Taylor; I also organised the two previous Q&A sessions in Sydney with Steven Francis but sadly nobody bothered to video either session). Anyway, I thought Eric was brave in standing up to espouse his own ideas on 400m training. I remember thinking though: if you believe there is no aerobic component to training or racing the 400m, why send your star to live in an altitude tent? Nevertheless I wish more coaches would stand and deliver in front an audience of their peers. It is always interesting. But good on Eric for explaining his ideas and system.