ami training for bud/s (navy seal)

This is taken from mike caviston (naval special warfare director of physical preperation) to help explain the running that takes place at bud/s

Preparation for the SEAL PST and BUD/S must include a sound running program. The ability to complete the 1.5-mile run portion of the PST in under 9:30 correlates with a greater probability of completing BUD/S. Students in BUD/S must complete 4-mile runs in progressively faster times throughout First, Second, and Third Phases. Students in Third Phase must complete a 14-mile run. Students must run dozens of miles per week moving to and from different locations at the BUD/S compound just to do other training evolutions like swimming or carrying boats or even to get chow at the galley. The running program detailed in theNSWPhysical Training Guideis designed to develop the endurance and speed to excel on the PST and the necessary abilities to complete BUD/S. The BUD/S Prep conditioning program which BUD/S students complete following boot camp at Great Lakes prior to shipping to Coronado provides the opportunity to further develop running fitness.

Before a BUD/S candidate is allowed to ship to Coronado from Great Lakes, he must demonstrate running proficiency by passing rigorous exit tests. Students who begin BUD/S have demonstrated they are solid runners. Yet some students struggle, at least initially, with the running evolutions at BUD/S. How can that happen? Most likely they are affected by the demands of performing in a new environment under novel circumstances. For example, after months of training in running shoes, BUD/S students transition to running in boots at all times. Despite what you may have read elsewhere, and the apparent logic behind preparing early, the various medical and conditioning experts at the Naval Special Warfare Center recommend that candidates NOT wear boots while running prior to beginning BUD/S. Wear appropriate running shoes (you can find guidelines at SEALSWCC.com). BUD/S students are issued boots while at Great Lakes, so they get a chance to break them in, and will begin to wear them during running and PT during BUD/S Orientation (the portion of BUD/S previously referred to as INDOC). The transition will go smooth for students who arrive with a solid conditioning base and a natural, efficient running style.

A major adjustment to running at BUD/S is the soft sand that forms the terrain of many conditioning runs and training evolutions. Many students arrive having put in plenty of miles on roads or tracks but never having run on a beach or other sandy surface. BUD/S candidates who have access to beaches or other sandy terrain may take advantage of the opportunity to incorporate the soft surfaces into their running program. Be aware that running on sand is more stressful than many people would expect. We tend to equate soft with cushion and low impact, but the flip side to the coin is soft sand offers little support and too much give during propulsion. In short, running in sand is quite stressful and (as with all aspects of training), candidates should add sand running to their overall mileage gradually and progressively, beginning with a modest tolerable amount such as half a mile or less. The percentage of total miles on soft sand should initially be limited to no more than 10-15%. Eventually, as conditioning improves, sand mileage can be increased to a larger percentage of total mileage, but as a general rule of thumb, still limited to 30-50% of total miles.

More so than running on solid surfaces, running on sand requires stabilizing work from the lateral muscles of the hip such as thegluteus medius, and theperoneus*muscles of the lower leg. The following images illustrate where these muscles are located.

http://www.physioweb.org/IMAGES/gluteus_medius.jpg

http://www.physioweb.org/IMAGES/peroneus_l_b.jpg

When these muscles are weak or become fatigued, performing on unstable surfaces cause misalignment of the lower extremity that may result in pain and injury. BUD/S candidates should have a proactive strategy for conditioning the strength and endurance of these muscles before entering the official NSW training pipeline. There are a wide variety of exercises and activities that can be incorporated into a general conditioning program. Examples include:

·Standing hip abduction using a cable pulley machine, elastic bands or rubber tubing.
·While lying on one side, perform hip abduction against manual resistance from a partner, or using ankle weights.
·Do the calisthenics exercise known as the “dirty dog� or “fire hydrant�: begin in a stable position on all fours (hands and knees), and externally rotate one hip out to the side, keeping the hip and knee bent to 90 degrees, until the thigh is parallel to the ground. Perform the desired number of repetitions and switch to the other hip.
·Perform side lunges using body weight or while holding dumbbells.
·Use a slide board, or do lateral skater’s hops back and forth to points a couple feet to either side of your starting position.
·Do short sprints that require zigzag or cutting movements, or do carioca maneuvers.
·Use equipment that requires balance and stability, such as wobble boards or Bosu trainers.

As with all aspects of fitness, start at a manageable level and be progressive over time. Vary routines to emphasize both strength and endurance. Be aware of the effects of adding new exercises or routines to your overall program (including running and swimming). Work hard, but also be creative and have fun.

An avrg week at bud/s can be anywhere from 50-60miles/week. (During hell week 5.5 of continuous physical training less than 4hrs of sleep total) 200miles/week depending on the class

The reason i explain all this is b/c my goal is to build up to 40-50miles/week. This is my initial week where i will be running 12miles this week and buid volume from there over thw next 12-15 wks. Once i have built to this volume i will evaluate progress, and determine weaknesses and move from there. Expamle: If running is weak hold volume and start increasing intensity of runs.

My I session is low volume bc this week my total mileage is 12mile. From what jack daniels suggests “I sessions should be no more than 8% of weekly volume in any one session” so i did 1400m @ I pace which is alittle under 8% of 12miles.

There are long runs as you can see 14miler. I will have a weekly long run on saturdays, day before rest day, this will be at no longer than 25% of weekly mileage.

I like and agree with your warm up protocols. Basically my plan

General Overview of seal piple:
*swcc- these are diffrent units than seal as well as go through a diffrent pipline ( though the swcc teams do work with seal teams in the teams, a big part of their job is to insert and extract providing cover via various armed water vessels)

Before becoming Navy SEALs, candidates are put through some of the most mentally challenging and physically demanding training in the world. Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training, or BUD/S, is designed to find and develop men of the strongest character who give everything they have to accomplish their mission and support the men on their team.

STAGE 1: NAVAL SPECIAL WARFARE PREPARATORY SCHOOL A.K.A. BUD/S PREP

5 - 9 WEEKS | GREAT LAKES, ILLINOIS

The training curriculum begins at Naval Special Warfare Preparatory School in Great Lakes, Illinois.

The two-month training period begins with a Physical Screening Test. The goal: Improve the candidates’ physical readiness for the rigorous activity they will face at BUD/S.

The Prep School ends with a modified Physical Screening Test. The test is a 1000 - yard swim, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and a four-mile run.

The minimum standards for this expanded test are as follows:

*1000-yard swim - with fins (20 minutes or under)

*Push-ups: at least 70 (two-minute time limit)

*Pull-ups: at least 10 (two-minute time limit)

*Curl-ups: at least 60 (two-minute time limit)

*Four-mile run - with shoes + pants (31 minutes or under)

Candidates who don’t pass the longer, more intense test are removed from training and reclassified to other jobs in the Navy.

Use thePST Calculatorto enter your most recent Physical Screening Test (PST) scores. The PST Calculator will compare your scores to actual Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) entry level scores.

The Naval Special Warfare Preparatory School utilizes Recruit Training Command pools, indoor and outdoor tracks and other facilities in and around Naval Station Great Lakes. Its staff and curriculum are under the Naval Special Warfare Center.

STAGE 2: NSW ORIENTATION - AN INTRODUCTION TO BUD/S

3 WEEKS | SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA

BUD/S Orientation is a three-week course that introduces SEAL and SWCC candidates to Coronado, the Naval Special Warfare Center and the special operations training lifestyle. During Orientation, officers and enlisted men become familiar with the obstacle course, practice swimming and learn the values of teamwork and perseverance. Candidates must show humility and integrity as instructors begin the process of selecting the candidates that demonstrate the proper character and passion for excellence. Once candidates are ready, prospective SEALs transition to their first days of Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training and prospective SWCC attend Basic Crewman Training.

STAGE 3: FIRST PHASE - BASIC CONDITIONING

7 WEEKS | SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA

First Phase, the basic conditioning phase, is seven weeks long and develops the class in physical training, water competency and mental tenacity while continuing to build teamwork. Each week, the class is expected to do more running, swimming and calisthenics than the week before, and each man’s performance is measured by a four-mile timed run, a timed obstacle course, and a two-mile timed swim.

In addition to physical training, the class also learns how to conduct hydrographic survey operations.

Because of its particularly challenging requirements, many candidates begin questioning their decision to come to BUD/S during First Phase, with a significant number deciding to Drop on Request (DOR).

Historically, candidates who have composite PST scores below 800 are three times more likely to succeed than the average student. Most importantly, candidates who have made a full commitment to their goal of becoming a SEAL and those who decide ahead of time that quitting is not an option, regardless of how challenging the training becomes, dramatically increase their chances.

The fourth week of training is known as Hell Week. In this grueling five-and-a-half day stretch, each candidate sleeps only about four total hours but runs more than 200 miles and does physical training for more than 20 hours per day. Successful completion of Hell Week truly defines those candidates who have the commitment and dedication required of a SEAL. Hell Week is the ultimate test of a man’s will and the class’s teamwork.

STAGE 4: SECOND PHASE - COMBAT DIVING

Second Phase, the combat diving phase, lasts seven weeks. This phase introduces underwater skills that are unique to Navy SEALs.

During this phase, candidates become basic combat swimmers and learn open and closed-circuit diving. Successful Second Phase candidates demonstrate a high level of comfort in the water and the ability to perform in stressful and often uncomfortable environments. candidates who are not completely comfortable in the water often struggle to succeed.

STAGE 5: THIRD PHASE - LAND WARFARE TRAINING

This phase is seven weeks long and involves basic weapons, demolitions, land navigation, patrolling, rappelling, marksmanship and small-unit tactics.

The second half of training is on San Clemente Island, about 60 miles from Coronado. On the island, the class practices the skills they learned in Third Phase.

Men who make it to Third Phase have demonstrated extraordinary commitment to becoming SEALs. They graduate BUD/S as Special Warfare Operators but have a long way to go before pinning on a Trident and becoming a SEAL.

STAGE 6: SEAL QUALIFICATION TRAINING (SQT) - MASTERY OF SEAL SKILLS

INTERMEDIATE | SKILLS

SEAL Qualification Training is designed to provide candidates with the core tactical knowledge they will need to join a SEAL platoon. Before graduation candidates attend survival, evasion, resistance and escape training. It is the intermediate skills course that prepares candidates for the advanced training they will receive once they arrive at a SEAL team.

SQT includes:

*Weapons training

*Small unit tacticss

*Land navigation

*Demolitions

*Cold weather training

*Medical skills

*Maritime operations

Before graduating, candidates also attend SERE training:

*Survival

*Evasion

*Resistance

*Escape

SQT training will also qualify candidates in:

*Static-line parachute operations

*Freefall parachute operations (High Altitude-Low Opening “HALO”)

Freefall parachute operations (High Altitude-High Opening “HAHO”)

Upon completing these requirements, trainees receive their SEAL Trident, designating them as Navy SEALs. They are subsequently assigned to a SEAL team to begin preparing for their first de

As far as minimum scores for all physical tests they are just that minimum.

You are allways expected to do better than the last time under more fatigue and more stress. The success rate at bud/s is less that 20%. Usually a class starts bud/s with several hundred and maybe a dozen will become seals. Bud/s is a volunteer program you are free to ring the bell and quit when ever youd like ( the bell follows the class everywhere) you can also be performance droped for not passing any of the evolutions. They say bud/s is 80% mental 20% physical. But… if you can’t run with the cheetahs, you cant run with the cheetahs no matter how mentally tuff you are.

9/29

[10 push up + 2 pull ups+ 4 8 count bodybuilders] x 5sets (spread throughout day) + 10x10sec. Foward leaning rest (top of push up position)* it is not uncommon to be in this position for dozens of minutes at a time any given day at bud/s so i am adding this in.

2 x 1mile @ M pace 2min. Rest b/w.
[9:50min;9:39min]

30/30 abs =125 reps
*kept these on the slower side. Body still feels beat up from last week.
*used a set of above circuit for wu and cd

Contrast shower after 2min hot, 2min cold,2min hot

9/30

AM:
Wu- full body dynamic + mobility

7x [20x decline push ups (hands on bench) + lateral lunge x 5ea.+ 4 pull ups+ 54 abs]

Pm:
Wu- 800m @ easy pace
full body dynamic/mobility
20m ea of butt kicks and high knees
400m stride the straights jogg curves

Then
2 x 200m @ R pace. Rec 2min
47sec, 50sec
2 x 400m @ R pace. Rec 4min
1:44min,1:50min

Total= 1000m @ R pace

Cd- walk 400m + full body static stretch

*need to work on pacing

10/1

5x [10 x push up + 2 x pull up + 4 x 8-count body builders + 2 x 10sec flr]
*sets spread throughout day
Session 1:
Swim (CSS) combat side stroke- stroke used at bud/s
Wu: 225m easy

2 x 225m (all out) 6min rec
6:20min (against current) ; 4:52 (with current)

30/30 abs 4min 125 reps

*first time using CSS in years
Swim was done in open water (pier to pier = 225m)

Session 2: 1200m run @ E pace

10/2

Wu-800m @ easy + arm and leg swings

T pace:
3x400m 30s. b/w 400s
10min rec
800m

(2:02,2:05,2:01)
(4:15)
Then

5x ( push ups (five 45# plates under cheat) x 28 + 6 pull ups)
5x (10x walking lunges + 10 x glutes bridge)
3 x 125 abs

Aux: 4x20sec iso back ext + 2 x ea. Of wrestlers brige flexion and extension + 4 x 10r of ea. (Y,T,W,N’s) + bb shrugs 2 x 15 x 185

*intervals @ Threshold were harder than i thought they’d. Needed the 10min rec b/w 400s and 800
*thought these would T intervals would have felt more like ext tempo effort considering i tested my 400m ~8 wks ago 83sec. Maybe my aerobic capacity is crap…

10/3

5x [10 x push up + 2 x pull up + 4 x 8-count body builders + 2 x 10sec flr]
*sets spread throughout day

3mile run @ easy pace

30/30 abs 4min 125 reps

10/4

Rest day

Stretch+foam roll

Yes your aerobic capacity and running need to develop.

The Jack D running approach has some disadvantages at the earlier levels of endurance training maturity. The VDOTs (I think the term, long time since I read the book) are not very precise due to runners lack of fitness and their lower understanding of how to pace time trial runs.

Running programems do not allow for the cross training benefits of swimming (cardio benefits) and weights/circuits (mainly muscular). So the overall training mileage you need to run is likely to be lower than that written in typical plans.

The typical rule of thumb of increasing mileage by 10% per week will not take you to your necessary level in the time that you have, so you will need to target a greater increase rate on some weeks.

I suggest you use the multiple pace regime proposed by JD, but schedule key runs according to your target times rather than VDOT models. Running training models are based on producing general improvements over a period of time - you need to aim for cast iron performance requirements at a certain time - there is no season 1, season 2 etc.

Long run : start at 6 miles and move upwards to at least 14M. This focuses on distance not pace so dont agonise over M or E times - just do the miles. If you feel good do an M pace, if feeling tired/increasing mileage make it E.

Sustained brisk run : Your need to cover 4 miles in at least 28 mins from what I can see from target of less than 31 miins and get better. So target is say 7min/mile pace (28 mins) at least. I suggest you do a weekly run of 5 miles, start steady for 10 mins, 20 mins strong, and finish with 5 mins easy. Ultimately you need to be comfortable running 5 miles in around 35 mins in training.

Intervals. You may find the percentage of distances to be run need to be higher than Jack D recommends but remember you are getting pseudo miles from cross training. You need to be aggressive in this. Hard intervals, short recoveries. This is 6 min/mile pace to finish in around 9 mins. Think of your recent 200/400/800 runs and how tough they feel. The target is 1min 30 per 400m with no recovery - done 6 times !!
We used to limit recoveries to 200m walk or 400m jog. 10 mins recovery is a middle distance SPP model - too long for you.

I realise this is a different training formula focussed mainly on performance targets.

Yes, i agree. My aerobic development is my weakness at the moment. I ran a 7min 1mile TT at the begining of training ~9wks ago and i know i couldnt run a 24-25min 5k right now, more like a 27min 5k. Ive mostly always been like that, the shorter the race the better.

As far as JD i dont use any of his written plans, mainly his guidlines on, volume run at diffrent intensities.
My weekly plan over the next 6 wks (running)
Hi/lo sequencing

M- interval (8% of weekly mileage)
T- Marathon (20% of weekly mileage)
W- Repetition (5% of weekly mileage)
Th- Easy
Fri- threshold (10% of weekly mileage)
Sat- long run @ easy pace (25% of weekly mileage)
Sun- rest

Total wkly mileage over next 6 wks (running)
Load- 20% increase unload 20% decrease

1. 12
  2. 14.4
  3. 17.3
  4. 20.8
  5. 25
  6. 20 unload

*tests wks 7. Evaluate progress and weaknesses. Most likely continure for another 6 wk cycle to put me at ~50mpw. Once at my goal mileage start increasing intensity of runs while holding mileage.

I agree with you on the vdot tables. Good start but still cookie cutter. My Repetition workout is definitely doable with my speed. I was thinking of slowing threshold, intervals, easy, and marathon pace down to accommodate for my lack of aerobic capacity. I have been using the corresponding vdot paces for a 7min mile which were all too fast besides my repetition pace (which go figure is a mile pace workout), but instead use vdot paces for a 27min 5k which better reflects my lack of aerobic capacity.

I would love to use a system based on performance targets but i am not sure i have the knowledge to implement it effectivley. And yes the 10min recovery in the middle of my threshold intervals i agree is way excessive. Slowing these reps down will fix this i presume as i said above i have been using vdot paces based off my mile time which with my lacking aerobic cap is not doable. So i will base everything besides rep workouts off 27min 5k vdot paces

Greatly appreciate your thoughts

Great post old bloke.

From what i have read (which i am aware are just guidlines) your long run should be no more tha 30% of weekly mileage. Do you think i should be doing a 6mile long run when currently running 14.4miles this week. At the end of the next 12 wks my long run will be around 13 miles @ 50mpw.

Your 5 mile session and hard intervals sound like JD’s 20min Threshold run and his repetition work (mile pace) ie 8x200m @mile pace w/ 200m. Jogg recoveries. Or am i missing something.

10/5

Session 1: 3pm
Wu- full body light stretch + mobility
10x (push up x 17 + rev. Lunge x 12)
12x (pull up x 3 + sl glute bridge x 10 + abs x 38)
+
Aux:
Iso back ext 3 x 30sec + 3 x 10-20ea wrestlers bridge flexion and ext + 3 x 10ea (y,t,w,n’s) + bb shrug x 3 x 10-15 x 195

Session 2: 7pm
wu 1 mile @ easy pace + full body dynamic/mobility + 3 x 100m strides

2x800m @ I pace (4:10) w/ 4min RI (4:13,4:11)

CD- 1mile @ easy + stretch

What time is your first session in the day?
What time is your second session during the day?
What are you doing for work and is your work helping you or taking something away from your training?
As a general rule you want to train at the same times every day as best as possible to optimize adaptation.

I currently serve tables 3-4 times a week usually evening (varies) and am a handy man fir a real estate company (which varies as well). I do try to train the same time of day but is always not possible. Depending on the day i might combine 2 sessions (usually track work then cals) but usually keep sessions in the same order and seperate them with at keast 3-4 hours between sessions.

Performance Targets: General rules are to be comfortable at the target distance and at the target pace.
Running 1.5 and 4 mile time trials is no big deal as far as distance goes, the challenge is the speed. So you need to train for sustained fast running. 14 miles and coveriing 50mpw is a distance challenge so you need to train for mileage.
Training for sustained speed : Look at your programme this way. If you need to run 4 miles at 7 min miles you need to be able to run training sessions of just below the distance at target pace (eg 3 miles in 21 mins). And steady runs of say 6 miles, going more slowly for above the race distance.
Add in some intervals at slightly quicker than 6 min mile pace and you have the even greater level of speed necessary to run 1.5 miles in 9 mins.

So your programme for 1.5 and 4 miles would have something like :
Run 5x800m each in 2 min 50 - this would be the 1.5mile pace session With jog recovery these add up to about 5 miles in total.
Run 3 miles in 21 mins with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile warm down. This would be the '4 mile pace session`.
Steady mileage building runs of 5-8 miles on top of these. For overall aerobic condition and for the longer duration activities.
With the time you have remaining you need to concurrently train for the longer distances (14 miles/50pw) with continual build ups of long runs and semi long runs.

So in a given week the programme would build to something like a 1.5M pace session, a 4 mile pace session, semi long run of 7 miles, long run of 10-13 miles.
If you want to cover 50mpw with say 5 sessions per week that is tough, with 5 runs per week that is an average of 10 miles on each running day. hence the importance of the long run and the concept of the semi long run.
I used to run 1m in 5.30 ish, 5k in 18.45, 5Min 32 mins and 10M in 64 mins with 30 -40 miles per week. That would achieve all the time trial targets you need. That was in my mid thirties, full time job, house etc. So should be easier for you.

I will post a few of my old training weeks if you are interested.

I understand the gerneral idea, but i have a few questions as far as progression.

If i can currently run a 1 mile TT at 7min. how do you suggest building to these sessions (1.5mile and 4mile sessions specifically) if i cannot hit your suggested session times currently due to fitness . from what im understanding you hold volume and progressivley increase pace? Or do you suggest starting with target pace and adding volume? From what i gather its seems the former. And if it is do you think it is ok to jump to this type of weekly volume (all sessions you described) from just restarting training after several years break and currently running 14.5mpw.

My plan is to ship out in ~ 8-12months based on fitness. I guess what i am trying to understand is if you are saying to just start running this type of volume or build to it. My posted plan over this next 12 wks is to build to 50mpw. Adding volume to all 6 sessions /week. So my 11th week (week before unload) would be something like this.

Week 11: 50miles
M-wu- 1mile + 8x800m @ I pace + cd 1mile
T- 10 miles @ M pace
W- wu - 1mile 10 x 400m @ R pace (mile pace) cd- 1mile
Th- 9miles @ E pace
Fr- wu- 1mile + 5 x 1 mile @ T pace + cd-1mile
Sat- long run 13miles @ E pace
Sun- off

This will be ~12 weeks from now with at least 5 more months of training to be done before shipping out. At this current week (week 2) i am at 14.5miles total this week. So this week is very similar to above but ~1/4 the volume. I understand this may be conservative approach as i am training a good amount of other things concurrently with my running. After i build to this my plan was to start increasing speed and keeping this mileage for another cycle or two. It really all depends on my times (swim, runs) and numbers(calisthenics ) are at and my weakness at that point.

I dont know if were trying to say the same thing or i am just lost…