ami training for bud/s (navy seal)

Hello

This is my first post. Though have been a long time follower of the forum.

Ive decided to begin posting my ideas and thoughts on preparing for bud/s (pipeline to become navy seal).

Im am 25 yrs old and am planning on re-entering the navy anywhere from 8-12months my goal being 8months. I say re entering because i have been to bud/s prior being medically droped for fractured left femur. I learned alot my first time through and am planning on being well-prepared and crushimg selection my 2nd.go around.

My intensions are to layout the general requirements and pipeline then develop a plan of attack. I choose to post this here because of the expertise ive seen on this forum (lots of intelligent folks on here) as well as to hopfully aid future aspiring seal candidates in preparing for what is to come. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I understand hiring a competent coach would.be the way to go uet i do not presently means to afford one. Competent coaches in this area of expertise (preparing for bud/s) are.both hard to come by and when it is very expensive.

Id also like to point out i have aquired useful information from studying of the subject and none of these training ideas are my own . Ive gotten gotten alot of these ideas from a manual “training.for.selection” by james smith.

Back ground
Ive been generally active since 2012 (last year in the navy my first time going through bud/s) but have not followed any structured training ip until.tje last 6-7weeks which brings me to present day.

First up is attaining my seal contract and achieving exelerated scores on my pst (physical screen test). Exelerated scores has a high correlation with success at bud/s and also greatly helps ensuring a contract assuming.medical.checks.out.

Pst (with target exelerated scores)
500yd swim (combat side.stroke) 9min
10min rest
2min push ups 100
2mim sit ups. 90
Max.pull ups.20
10 min rest
1.5mile.run. 9min

Tested 6-7 weeks ago on most of these

500yd.swim-na (been swimming more.freestyle so far as to.work on reconditioning) previously did 8;30 yrs ago

Push ups-40.(weak) Previously 90-100

Sit ups-na prev. 80-90

Pull ups.10 (weak)previous.17

1.5mi run: tested 1mile.7min flat. (Weak)Prev- 9ish 1.5mile

General . summation -everything needs.work, which is understandable after not following a structured routine for.a.number of.yrs. phyced to het my.scores back up and get at it.

This is my.first very long post… and more to come. But for now sleeeeeeeppp.

Last ~7weeks of training

1. Swim (speed)+ upper/core
  2. Run (threshold) + lower/core
    3.swim (long swim)
  3. Rest
    5.run (speed) + upper/core
    6.swim (threshold)+ lower/core
    7.run (long run)
  4. Rest
    (Repeat)

Resistance training has mostly been gymnastics movments at the moment. Rest has been kept between 30-60s. W/ mobility exercise during rest

Upper/core
Bent hollow body rock x 5 sets
Flr x 5 sets
Hinge rows x 5sets
Push ups x 5 sets

Lower/core
Side to side squats x 5 sets
Vup x 5 sets
Hyper ext x 5sets

This last week starting monday i trained with a local strength coach (trains people for free depending on ther fitness goals). He trains people out of my good friends garage gym. Tho he has trained people for various armed forces (bud/s is a completley diffrent animal than boot camp, i actually lost alot of fitness in boot camp my first time through) after training and talking to him this week. He does not know how to program runnning or swimming as well as various other things ill be needing, so weve come to the agreement that i will write up a program and he will critique what he can and move forward from there. Hes kind of old fashion (no pain no gain) kind of coach, alot of sets to failure which ive never really agreed with. But i did the full week of training wiyh him do here it is
Note i was toooooo sore the whole week to do any running or swimming:

Mon
Bpress x 9 reps (3wide,3reg,3close) keep adding weight till all fail

• 100x ohs jumps (pvc)+ 100 x standing bench with bar+100 split jumps+25x jt squats (25#) + 200 russian twists (10#)

Tues(chest very sore from mon havnt benched for long time)
100ea (wide,reg,close) push ups+ 50 clapping+35 full exp. Push ups+20star push ups+2min as many as possible

Wed
5 pull up+ 5min total half pull up hold+ 5 pull up+ 5min total dead hang+ 5 pull up+ 2min total top hold+5min as many as possible pull ups. (Woww)

Thurs (abs)
200x crunch 25#+ 100 flr dirty dogs+150 russian twist 15kg+2min ea (left plank,middle,right)+50 hll+ 150 superman

Fri (everything very sore by now lol)
Flutter kicks w/ ankle weights x 1000+ 100x db jabs 15#ers+100× farner carry quick steps(dunni the point of this) 25#ers+100yoga ball leg raises+100 back ext

Sat+sun(today)= rest-no training on sat or sun at the gym… thank god my whole body is sore as can be even hip flexors…

General plan for the next 12 weeks starting 9/28 monday
(5 wks load:1 wks unload) x 2
Hi/lo scheme
Load progressions: start with achievable volumes based on current fitness and build off that

Running & swimming-
Load +20% volume/wk
Unload -20% volume/wk
*after wk 6 droping to +10%volume/load wk for weekly run and swim volumes

Calisthenics -
Load +20% volume/wk
unload -20% volume/wk

M- high volume calisthenics + intervals + auxiliary work
Tues-low volume calisthenics + easy run + swim (lsd)
Wed- high volume calisthenics + track repeats + auxiliary work+ swim (threshold)
Thurs- low volume calisthenics + easy run +swim (speed)
Fri- high volume calisthenics + threshold run + auxiliary work
Sat- low volume calisthenics + easy run and/or swim
Sun-rest

Auxiliary- neck/spinal stability/rotator cuff

Running is based off jack daniels running formula (amazing book for those interested in middle-long distance running

Swimming based off usa swimming paces 30min time trial (En1- aerobic. En2 threshold. En3 speed)

Calisthenics - push ups, pull ups, lunge variations, glute variations , abs variations

Goal here is to build up to a high volume of work load throughout the day to adapt to the high workload that takes place at bud/s as well as help my pst scores.

I will be testing (pst) the wk after unload wk to adjust training accordingly to weaknesses

I will soon be posting physical requirements that you are expected of in bud/s (timed o course t, 4mile timed beach runs, 2mile timed open ocean swim etc etc)as i will want to be surrpassing these times before entering

Any thoughts are welcome

Monday
Session 1- totals- 140 push ups, 30 pull ups, 470 abs, lunges+sl glute bridges + aux work

Session 2. Under water swim work+drown proof work

Session 3. Track 1400m total @ I pace

I don’t know much about the specifics for Navy Seal except that underwater test sounds off the map crazy. Yikes!
I am an excellent swimmer but this is out of my league big time with regards to understanding what swimming needs to happen for you to ensure that.
I had a tennis kid who was pretty good. He wanted to do navy seal. He was not a good swimmer. I don’t know what he ended up doing but he told me what the test was. You will need specific advice for this.
The more info posted the better so others can pipe in and help you.
I’d get super serious fast about getting your regeneration plan in order for things you can do by yourself. This is a free and no brainer way to keep yourself healthy and ready for the training. It’s often ignored because it’s free and it’s overlooked.
It’s pretty easy to do 500 sit-ups per day alternating with 1000 per day once you get into it. Vary the situps and do them through the day opposed to all at once.
Explain jack dan running for us?
swimming? Umm. one of the italian members here coached jr champ in swimming using the principles here regarding tempo and speed and might he might be able to pipe in. I don’t know and am not familiar with USA swimming. I’d use intervals and do running in pool. You can score big volume , gain huge fitness and BONUS it’s regenerative . = WIN WIN WIN
You will need to crank up your nutrition as well to support both training and recovery but that’s the easy part.

What is the track workout? What does I pace mean?

tell us about the underwater swim? and drown proof work. Ugg.

Remember the general principle about how I was taught.
I call it “divide and conquer”.
Hopefully you already know that doing sets of push ups mixed with sets of other exercises works faster and more effectively than doing one group of a muscle group before moving to another? I guess it depends on your perspective or how you have been trained in the past. spread the training that you are doing around the entire body.

1. First make sure you have a good warm up. ( how long is your warm up and what are you doing to warm up)
  2. Then you do some drills for mobility. I’d have you doing some drills that we do for track but maybe you already have something you are doing?
    Then I would start to do sets of push ups mixed with abs and put the hardest stuff ( lunges and pull ups at the sweet spot of the workout) and then end with a sit up circuit because you can do sit ups almost all the time.
    Or, I might divide all push ups and all sit ups through the day and use smaller volumes of sit ups and push ups and drills to warm up to get the lunges and pull ups out of way.

Ami, I appreciate you having the manual I wrote on Training for Selection. I suggest you pay close attention to the program I included in the manual as it illustrates all the detailed training that a particular client of mine performed in preparation for BUD/S with the exception of the psychological consultations I performed for him.

While he ended up getting performance dropped during Pool Comp in 2nd phase (for failing the maximum number of attempts), I had a consult with him the night before he started Hell Week and he told me that he didn’t have a single injury/ache/pain and felt like he was peaked for a competition. He ended up getting pneumonia during Hell Week, as many do, however, he kept his performance up and finished Hell Week and went on to 2nd phase.

In the manual, you see the fantastic screen test performance he had prior to classing up and remember that the only screen test emphasis of his programming was the swim and run- even though every single test metric advanced as result of the substantial training load in all realms.

After having a go at BUD/S already you are well aware of the volume of work you must be prepared for so be sure to address that, as you see in the manual, in sufficient time prior to the next time you class up.

Hopefully this will explain most of what if my run training:
I am using the book “Daniels running formula” for all my run training. He is a middle-long distance coach and his expertise is well known among the middle-ling distance running community. This is a summation of his running intensities and volumes:
These are listed from highest to lowest intesities (cns wise)

Repetition “R” pace- ~100% of mile pace- w/r 1:2-3 - 2min max- no more than 5% of weekly mileage in a single training session - speed and economy

Interval “I” pace- vo2 max work- ~95% of mile pace- w/r 1:1- 5min max- no more than 8% of weekly mileage in a single session

Threshold “T” pace-improves ability to clear blood lactate- ~85% of mile pace- w/r 5:1- no more than 10% of weekly mileage in a single session

Marathon pace “M” pace- ~80% of mile pace-no more than 20% of weekly mileage in one session

Easy run “E” pace- makes up the remainder of weekly mileage used for recovery and building aerobic capacity and economy- 75% and under of mile pace. Long runs are done at this pace though limited to 25% of weekky mileage in a session

So when i said 1400m of track work at “I” pace with a 7:17 mile i did:
400x1 @1:54 + 1000 x 1 @4:48 w/r 1:1
Sorry for the confusion

FYI these sessions are spread throughout the day if that wasnt clear as well. Anywhere from a couple to 5-6 sessions a day depending on where im at

I guess i didnt explain the calisthenics work accurately either. And i agree angela, i did the work circuit style:
[14x push up+10 rev lunges+ 3 x pull ups+ 10 x sl glute bridges+47 x crunches/tuck up] x 10- to achieve my totals for the day

Finished gym session off with several sets ea. Of neck work(wrestlers bridge)+rotator cuff (y’s, t’s, n’s, w’s and cuban presses)+ iso back ext on roman chair

About 2 hrs later session 2:under water swim + drown proofing work
25yrd/meters (have to check) x 5+
Practice bobs/floats/swimming with feet crossed and hands behind back tucked in my shorts. ~ 10min of work
Underwater swim is pretty straight frwd. Performed in a olympic sized pool (25m or yrds forget which one) from the pool deck jump in perform a frwd roll then swim 25m to the wall and back. All under water obviously and no kick off is allowed at starting walk only returning wall no goggles.

Drown proofing in alittle complicated to explain but i will do my best.
As well it has been yrs since performing this so i may get the order and times aliitle mixed up but it goes something like this:
Dead float 5min + bobs (prty much sink to the botom of pool kick off bottom get to surface breath of air… repeat, no hanging out on the surface) 5-10min+ i believe it was a 100m/yrd swim+ back in to bobs with alilttle twist at the end your swim buddy throws ur mask in to pool let it sink to the bottom . You then sink down frwd roll grab mask with mouth off bottom bob to surface drop mask out of mask repeat but with a back roll finished. Mind you this is all done with hands bound behind your back and ankles bound together. Thats my best explanation if anyone is more interested in sure the full test is on YouTube or somewhere in the web.

Both the drown proof and underwater swim are pass/fail and not performed in a relaxed homely setting which will be taken into account in training to the best of my abilities.

Born and raised in florida. my first time through bud/s all water evolutions were my strong suit. Tho i am now older and less in shape (working on it). The way ive experienced it, drown proofing and underwater swim are highly dependent on lung capacity and staying calm in the water. First time through i used a free diving breathe holding routine that can be done on dry land that helped AALOOT. Will have to look for it and start getting on the grind with that.

Addressing your questions about warm up ive definitely found myself asking the same questions

Currently it has been depending on what im working on that particular session

Calisthenics+ aux session hi days ive been doing a 5-10min work up

Full body active or dynamic stretches/mobility or what have you and light stretching (i move from top to bottom) neck circles+arm and wrist circles+ hip circles/ standing flex touch ground then exetend at the hip slowly widening stance+ squat mobility drill/duck walk+ ankle circles+ light ankle, hip flexor, hammys, and glute stretches

Running sessions (only for R, I, or T sessions)generally the samething tho i begin with a 8-12min. Jog

Easy runs i dont really have a wu or cd protocol maybe one would be beneficial? ??? Thoughts

As far as cool downs
Calisthenics + aux i dont really do anything probly should do more aggressive stretching here??? Statics/pnf?? Thoughts

And

Running-(only with higher intensity sessions again R, I, T) i do a 8-12min. Jogg home

Swimming same as running except 5-10min easy swim full body warm up and an easy 5-10 cd (only on speed and tempo days tho)

I am familiar with charlies warm up as shown in gpp. Love it btw. Maybe i should do something like this for my hi intensity run days???
With as many sessions im doing all day every day that would be alot of added time todo something like that for every session… i am a working man. Thoughts??

On my low days (tues,thurs,sat) i am doing something very similar to this for my calisthenics. About 1/4 the volume of my high days soread out through the days submaximal sets no where close to failure. And only easy runs or marathon pace runs on low days. Swimming ive found i can get away with puting at least one session of (speed or tempo ) on a low day. Swimming does not affect my recovery like dry land exercises do…
as far as recovery… other than what ive listed for low days (which is similar to charlies ext tempo days, ive bee trying to get o. At least 2x20min epsom salt baths/week
nutrition has been prty good let me know if your curious and want me togo further into detail on my nutrition (whole foods: carbs:whole grains,fruits, working on getting more veggies but still do fairly well, tubers # protein lean meats,eggs,fish,milk ect…i go for variety and fats olive oil, nuts seeds, avocado, butter infrequently.

Hi/lo sequencing
Conservative volume increases
Need to start foam rolling though ive never had any success with this after consistently doing it in the military (did it every day in wu)
Dont have the monetary means for deep tissue massages nor know if a place where they know what they are doing in my area. (This is when every tells me to start foam rolling)
And sticking to daniels volume guidlines
These are my recovery/regeneration stratagies as of now
Also thinking about starting full body ice baths ~10min

Contrast shower- my shower does not get very hot or very cold otherwise would def be using them maybe i should do them anyways

about a 1/4 volume of my hi days spread throughout the day

I appreciate the words of wisdom as well as everything ive learned from your manual (which in my opinion is the most comprehensive peice of literature out on the subject that i have come across). Great resource. Its a shame your client failed pool comp. If he has the ambition im sure he will return.

I am aware your program for your client emphasized the running and swimming aspect, amazing improvements. Im in the position of needing to improve all aspects. Where theres a will theres a way.
Cheers

Appoligize for the confusion in the order of my posts. Still getting used to the message board here. Hopefully things can be sorted out

As far as swimming i pulled up the usa swimming team swim intensity tables off the web. You perform a 30min tt and three paces are prescibed based off that (En1 aerobic. En2 threshold, en3 speed) suggested rest intevals and distance of interval reps are given as well

Suggested warm ups:

R + I : Mobility/flexibility whole body of the type you describe. Running - We used to do 4 laps easy, some knee lifts + butt kicks, then 2 laps of stride the straight and jog the bends. So slightly more faster running and a bit of drills than your current warm up.

T + M : No particular set of exercises or prelim jogs or strides. just start slow and wind up the pace. eg 10 mins building up, say 30 mins at threshold and then 5 mins slowing down.

E : No warm up needed.

Hi intensity day : Charliie`s warm up is top notch for serious sprinting but I reckon you need a slightly cut down version of running work and a bit more whole body work (fast push ups, squat thrusts etc). Need to allow for your lower intensity sprinting (you are not training for 100m) but more whole body hi work.

Given your very large volume of training you have limited time to do everything, so my warm ups for the slower runs are part of the sessions themselves.

Your I session of 1x400 + 1x1000 is too low volume ( at least that is the way I read your post). More typical VO2s are 5x800, 4x1000 type of sets.

Check out Frank Horwill multi pace sessions (Seb Coe swore by them). They contain the same range of paces as Jack D but are designed to prepare you with training for specific race distances.

Do you need to do any very long runs (15M …) to prep for the very long speed marches/jogs. No personal knowledge just what i have seen on tv. This will be be a challenge since these create vast fatigue and wipe out your muscles for faster runs and hi intensity events.