Alternate Block for 1RM

:confused:Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few confusions regarding Accumulation and Intensification block.

Firstly, I have seen examples
Accumulation Block
week 1 4x5 with buffer 12%/example 100Kg Bench with 5RM–(4sets x5 reps with 88Kg= 100-12%)

week 2 5x5 @buffer 8%

week 3 5x5 @ buffer 4%

week 4 deload (first three day nothing training and 4th-5th day news 5Rm(test)…or is better nothing deload in Accumulation but more weigth with 5x5 for Overreaching?
after

Intensification_block (Progression:increasing load with constant volume)
week 1 3x3@ buffer 10%
week 2 3x3 @ buffer 6
week 3 3x3@ buffer 3%
week 4 deload and Test 3RM ///with first three day nothing training and 4th-5th day news 5Rm(test)with Squat,Bench and Deadlift)

Lastly, I have modern trends in strength training and where Poliquin writes those programs such as cluster training or wave loading etc are they supposed to be used for one intensification phase each or used for as long as you want?

Thanks!

Go ask Poliquin.

Davids,

I have also asked the same question as you in the past. Although I have never got a definitive answer here here what I think is right:

Each strength program e.g cluster sets are supposed to be used for 3 weeks (intensification) and on the 3rd week…deload volume…i.e cut your number of sets in half. Between each intensification phase, do higher volume, lower intenisty workouts but if training for sports don’t go over 8 reps. Also deload volume on the 3rd week.

You can often improve by small amounts every workout for the whole 3 weeks (even including the deload).

I hope this helps…please let me know how you get on if you follow these guidelines and poliquins programs.

I also have Modern Trends…It is a fantastic book. Do you have any other Poliquin books?

Regards,
Rob.

With accumulation of 5 x 5 does this mean that you do not have a phase of higher reps ie. 10 + in which to back off a little more from the strength zone?

Rich hand,

Yes you could have 5x5 in intensification and higher reps in accumulation. But this said, if you are an athlete in strength/power sport I would recommend not going over 8 reps. You don’t want to delve into lower threshold motor units. Remember to de-load volume every third week also.

Hope this helps,

Rob.