5 favourite Plyometric Excercises

After the success of other such threads-

Please list your 5 favourite plyometric excercises.

Keeping in mind Flash’s comments on the ‘bigger picture’ when thinking of Plyos when and why do you prescribe them?

Keeping in mind nos and intensity- also describe when in the workout and the week you perform them.

Med Ball Chest Pass onto Mat
Toss For Height
Box Jumps (onto mat, etc)
Pike Jumps into Pit
Depth Jumps

and, 8x200m of Single leg hops, block style

I do plyo work before speed work or occasionally after heavy weights were only one working set (weights) would be used.

Alternate leg bounding: 3-4 sets of 10 bounds (5 per leg) after warm up sets. This to help 20-30m acceleration. (prefer single leg over double due to more realistic stabiliser activation; although double could also be used to focus power development on major muscle groups).

Alternate leg bounding up steps - as above. Using this especially for first 10m of the sprint when leg and hip flexion are increased on ground contact.

Arm swinging (sprinting action) with or without weights - until first sign of fatigue or approx 5-8 seconds

Leg swings (flexion - extension) - approx 5 each leg for 3 sets - to work the hams and glutes for hip extension during whole distance of sprint. If I have had any period of ham tightness I won’t perform these before sprinting in fear of raising muscle tone undesirably at start of sprint session.

For a 5th plyo, poss double leg bounding or hopping - both very different - would have to experiment more. OR, if I could be convinced plyos for calves is of use, then hurdle jumping.

I only have one.

Catching the beer bottle/can thrown at me by my mate. He miss one last night and has a black eye.

I generally like anthing with a medicine ball, hurdles jumps or jumps on boxes (which probably are not plyo’s)

Jumps onto box
Quick bounds (in other words, not reaching for great distance in each bound)
Ankle hops
Two-leg hops
Low depth jumps (12")

However, I generally prefer medicine ball throws to supplement the sprinting in order to reduce overall impact on the legs.

Mon - 2-3 x 3 Vertical squat jump after full squats pre 30m acc
Tues half b 4 half after speed work
all 2 - 3 x 3
Vertical squat jump into pit
S L J into pit
3 x 20m power skips ( height and distance )
Med ball dive/throws onto mat or
Med ball overhead vertical boost from squat

akm, who’s that doing the hurdle jumps?

Good list Flash! :clap:

The only thing I sometimes add are lateral hops because of the cutting requirements of my sport.

xlr8

1.Hurdle Hops over two hurdles (grass)

2.Standing Triple Jump (into sand)

3.Sprint bounds for 20m (grass)

4.Med ball toss (lower)

5.Med ball accerleration

1. single leg depth jumps. (all of these onto concrete)
  2. weighted single leg depth jumps.
  3. weighted single leg depth jumps off of a swiss ball.
  4. these will take care of the athlete. There is nothing further they will need to do, or be able to do.

Herb, I assume you do those after a 3RM squat.

Two footed jumps with absolutely minimal knee/hip flexion and contact time.

for now just

loaded jump squats 6x3 at start of lower body workout. I use about 60lbs at the moment.

Originally posted by Herb

1. single leg depth jumps. (all of these onto concrete)
  2. weighted single leg depth jumps.
  3. weighted single leg depth jumps off of a swiss ball.
  4. these will take care of the athlete. There is nothing further they will need to do, or be able to do.

ouch :o

Originally posted by Neospeed
akm, who’s that doing the hurdle jumps?

Bruni Surin.

The saint is back :slight_smile:

Saint Herb is annointed.

But wouldn’t the 3Rm squats be one legged on a box

1. Power ball throws with an elastic response (16-20 throws)

Clemson,
would you mind expanding on that? thanks alot

cool thanks