4x100 to Open 100

My relay team ran a 4x100 in 45.64 seconds on a rubber track (frosh-soph athletes). I don’t know our splits, only what the guys were capeable of. Our #1 leg has ran 12.1-2 in the open 100, our #2 has ran 11.8-9 and our #3 leg has ran 11.6-7. I’m having trouble figuring out the math on how fast my lag was ran. The only timed sprint i’ve done all year was done on gravel. 55m in 7.0h.
My estimates put me at about 12.4 12.5, but that’s mighty slow.

I wouldn’t worry too much about 4x100 splits, they are so inaccurate and give runners a false sense of what they can really do.

I agree with you. The problem is that the time could not be compared to the normal 100m race cause of the flying part. But at the same time its not a flying 100m cause you’re trying to take a batton and not concentrating on a fly. So its not flying and its not stationary. Its nothing. Its just something to help your relay team win.

I guess the last leg ( anchor leg ) is the less inaccurate of 4 legs and the fast on track too.
Look, i´m not saying that the anchor leg guy is faster than the other 3 guys, i´m saying that the 4th part of the race is the fast, i think.

I guess i was a little bit vague… It was a pretty big algebra problem, but I didn’t say so… this should make it easier.

Runner A 12.2
Runner B 11.9
Runner C 11.6
Runner D 12.?
A+B+C+D=45.6
What does D equal? I don’t quite understand the intracacies of sprinting to quite understand what exactly I’d run. I’m an okay starter for a 12. 100m 55m 7.0h. I just wanted to know, About how fast do you think I’m capeable of running the 100 with that information?

If only it were that simple. In the formula A+B+C+D=45.6:

D=45.6-(A+B+C)
D=45.6-(35.7)
D=9.9!!!

Obviously that’s ridiculous. Don’t forget the flying start!! It’s virtually impossible to tell what you can run based on that. However since you run a 400 in 51.3, and since you seem to be a 4-8 type, I’ll guess you could go about 23.5 in the 200, probably 11.8 in the 100? Again that’s just a rough guess, I wouldn’t be suprised if it was anywhere between 11.5-12.1.

I give up!! lol. There’s no hope. I was reading a 4x1 thread a while ago and they said that in order to guestimate your 100 time from a 4x1 split you add about 1 second to your time. If you add A+B+C=35.7 and subtract 3 you get 32.7 which means my split was 12.6… and that would be really slow, only 2 tenths faster than I run my first 100 in a 400. (why do I always have to post questions to which I know the answer?)

There are going to be some all-comers meets during the summer in which I’m going to run 3 events that I have yet to do in the past year: 300ih 200m 100m. I’ll figure out for sure what I am capeable of.

How old are you? If I were you I would care what I run in the 100, looks to me like you are a pretty good 800 runner. I am guessing you are about 15-16, if so concentrate on the 400-800, that is where you have the greatest potential. I know it is fun to figure what you can do in the sprints, I always do that with phenominal hs distance runners… “if he just ran 56 on the last lap of that 2 mile i wonder what he’d do in the 4x4.” Fun but will rack your brain. I remember 1993 when I was at the mt. sac relays as a senior in hs, santa monica track club ran the 4x1, carl lewis blasted dennis mitchell on the anchor leg and the announcer bellowed, “CARL LEWIS JUST RAN 8.3 ON THE ANCHOR LEG,” the crowd hummed in amazement. I did so too, now that I think about it, who the heck cares, I don’t think you can add 1 second to that and predict his 100m time. The announcer was trying to get a response from the crowd and sell tickets to the 1994 mt. sac relays. Mission accomplished.

With perfect changes the following is possible:

12.2(mabe curve 12.4)+10.9+10.6=33.7(-33.9)-45.6=11.9 (-11.7) flying, approx 12.9 (-12.7) for the hundred
Less perfect relay technique - add a little to the spilts B,C -> D even a little faster than a 12.7 runner…