400m strategy??

Outdoors…
Get out hard the first 40-50m… use that speed down the backstretch (relaxing/dropping my arms a bit essentially trying not to use them) while making up a stagger or two carrying that speed through 250 and between 250m-280m with 120-150m lift start to dial it up for a strong finish.
Basically I break it into a 250/150 breakdown(where I am trying to go 29-30 for 250 and 18-19 for 150) just like in training. As the seaosn progresses I will be able to go out faster and hopefully finish stronger.

What about for the 200m?

Outdoors… I start at 95-98% perceived effort building my speed as I go and turn it into an all out 150m race.

So different from Charlie 35m hard the maintain…

Think I’m going to try both this year. I normally go off hard and maintain in the 2. As for the 4 I’m stocky but I love the last hundred feeling lol

This much I know: Cathy Freeman said she always went out hard for 50m. Michael Johnson advised her to go hard through to 60m.

Your race strategy should reflect your training and vice versa. You should train to be able to effectively execute your race plan. You race to the level of your preparation. Modify your race strategy to suit your training preparation. If you want to race more aggressively (ie, faster) then make the appropriate adjustments in your training over time to enable that to happen.

There is actually some information on 400m race strategy in the dreaded “lactate threshold” thread.

that definetly makes more sense, racing to the level of preparation. for example, if you are not in good enough shape to go out fast and have a decent finish, don’t do it. but, if you have practiced splitting a fast 200 in training then that will probably work better in the race itself.
so, to sum it up, there is a general plan on how to run the race, but changes need to be made accordingly.

i try to run fast for 200m then just take it easy for 50-70 meters then just try to go faster again. work for me

Woow wish i could do that…
Only going slower after 200…:stuck_out_tongue:

hehe it’s not that hard the first 200 90-95% then try to relax as mutch as possible the when u got 135-150 just try to give all it helps me not too loose too mutch speed because you have too speed last 100 meters.

good luck

how do you change your strategy based on what lane draw you have

i don’t i have too do my own race and i can’t run any fast based on another person but it’s easier the last 150 if you see someone but my PR is from lane 6 when i didn’t see anyone the same indoors…

but 200 meters is at diffrent thing then i can’t run as fast the first 100 så i try too go 1-2% less the first 50m if i got lane 1.

is it a reasonable time?
my 200m is 23.6 (first time running)
400m is 52.19 .

does 200m and 400m times match? :slight_smile:

You have run a reasonably good 400m. But you can do better with specific training for the one-lap sprint. The rule of thumb says to work out your 400m potential time you should double your current 200m time and add 3.5seconds.

Do you have a rule of thumb for the 100m -> 200m potential?

Isn’t x2 pretty close?

Can you elaborate?

i try too build up speed the first 200meters then relax without loosing any speed and the last 120 meters full power again…

because if i save 1-2% in the bend i wont loose as mutch the last 50 and because of the bend i cant run as fast if i’m in lane 1.

Read the lactate threshold trainingthread. KitKat practically gave a 400m training seminar in that thread.