400m strategy??

Mine is go out hard the first 200 because I love the straight, then cruise and stride out the 300, and the last straight, kick and bust out, pass the baton and then drop dead on the field.

Works? Any other strategies.

depending on wind… out hard for first 100m, cruisy for the next 100 concentrating on technique and efficency… then i slow a little for the mid part of bend and drive out and just go as hard as i can

They look pretty similar, I think. I just ran as fast as I can for as long as I can… works when I’m really psyched.

I think I read something about MJ training to be able to run at a constant pace. Does anyone know anything about this?

Search the Clyde Hart threads. They do runs working on even pace using beeps or whistles to mark target times for every 50m. The races though are traditional splits, first 200m is 2+ seconds faster than the second 200m.

During my Stanford days, mine was to hide in the bathroom till the 4 x 440y relay was over!

CF, I wish I did that in HS haha. Got stuck on the 4 x 400 team!

MJ 43.18 = 21.22 + 21.96

Being able to run 19.32 (19.93 in 1999) and strong as an ox make that 21.22 feel like a cruise.

Jeremy in Osaka apparently was 20.9 + 23.5. Innocent Egbunike used to go out sub-21, Fred Newhouse used to build a lead up to 300m and try to fight off the bear on his back in the homestraight

Most of the top guys go out sub-22

I would pace it in a way that is comfortable and gives you the best opportunity to be in control at 300m

I believe I can do a 25/26 200 now which means I have to run something like 26/28 split which is a lot to ask for.

That is endurance for the most part. I’m dead after 200!!

I tried to come out hard and then maintain on the back stretch. Indoor, i would attack the first 200 hard. This usually put a gap between me and the rest of the field. We all know that it’s tough to make up ground on an indoor track. Of course this strategy changed during a relay depending on where we were in the race. I would be careful relaxing too much during the race. I have see runners actually slow up unintentionally while doing this. I think the most important thing to remember is to stay relaxed on the home stretch. At that point, I don’t think that most runners can speed up. You want to decelerate the least.

Mine too. They always found me.:mad:

Sadly, me too sometimes!

But did they catch you? hahaha

First the coaches- then the 400m guys I was running against most of the time!

Oh man, the 400 guys caught you after they ran in the relay? Must have needed more speed endurance work hahah :smiley:

Ah there you go. I’m going to be part the 4x400 A team in indoor so that’s whatI need advice for. I do not run 400s for practice nor individual events. I do the 100/200 and the 55/300 in indoor.

My key is to just react to the gun and get myself moving. I establish “great legs” and then dial it up to race speed by 40m. I ride that to about 255 and then begin to chant in my mind “dial it up, dial it up.” As I come out the turn it feels like a tempo rep, and I just keep moving with great form.

Maybe its just me, but something always happens at about 180m where I have to “man up” and keep the pace so I won’t let up just a little. Anyone else??

‘maning up’ is the name of the game, that’s where the fun starts to happen!

i like to get out firmly, establish myself going round that first bend, then work into a controlled rhythm down the back straight so that i can reach my top race speed at about 180m and go through the target time with speed going into the bend. from there, it’s a matter of turning it over, and holding form to the line

Im in my SPP phase now and indoor season begins in about 2-3 weeks from now. I can do 300s without much trouble now. 400, just hearing that brings me chills.

How the hell can I fear that yet Im training for the 55 all the way out to the 400 (for relays).

In my opinion the reason why people don’t do so well is because people have built up a notoriety about how much it hurts; therefore people LEARN to hate the 400m.

I guess I’m rare because not only do I have the body type for the 400 (6’1 long legs) but I actually love the last 100m where is hurts the most. I think one way to train (well for me) for that last part is in the weight room doing repeat Squats or Bench press to repeat failure.

Anyhow, short stocky guys and girls have the right to complain coming from there point of view I think it’s much harder of a race to run in there shoes.

Outdoors…
Get out hard the first 40-50m… use that speed down the backstretch (relaxing/dropping my arms a bit essentially trying not to use them) while making up a stagger or two carrying that speed through 250 and between 250m-280m with 120-150m lift start to dial it up for a strong finish.
Basically I break it into a 250/150 breakdown(where I am trying to go 29-30 for 250 and 18-19 for 150) just like in training. As the seaosn progresses I will be able to go out faster and hopefully finish stronger.