400m S-L questions

That’s great. Speed is critical to lowering performances via the mechanism of speed reserve- as you can see. Of course, if you hadn’t competed at 400, you might not have realized what you were actually ready for!

Yeah it was good to see what a speed orientated approach could do. I was still very fresh at the end of the season too as opposed to previous seasons where I was pretty drained by the end.

Looking back I never shaved as much time off again as I did training i that way - 48.2 to 47.5 endurance based then 47.5 to 46.4 with the speed based approach.

This is how I coach my athletes now while others are still jogging along repping out the endurance we are working on speed as well with a more ends to middle approach with a speed emphasis.

I have a 100/200 guy who can out out mean 300m special endurance reps and the odd 4x4 relay split too.

Taliban,

Was your S-L approach the same as outlined in Charlie’s 2006 400m template.

It’s a smart time to get down to 46.0.

Michael

check the heading- it shoulds say 400m short to long at the top of the graph (there are both approaches in graph form.)

How can I get this graph? I have the Vancover and Edmonton downloads but its not in any one.

I’ve tried PM’ing Rupert without luck. I also have those downloads and would like to have the plan but I’m not sure what to do.

i also PM’d Rupert a couple weeks ago about the S-L 400m graphs as i have the Vancouver and Edmonton downloads. i have not heard anything yet.
Sorry about getting a bit off topic.

instead of PMing email info@charliefrancis.com

Charlie,
in your 400 S-L template for the SE you spend the first 10 workouts not running past 80m at a time then in week 6 you go session 1 to 100m then session 2 is a split run with 200m as the first part and then the 2nd session of week 7 is out to 300m. While the number of split reps drops and the total volume is similar that seems a comparatively fast progression. Why is that and not more in the 120-150- 180 range?

Anything is possible but remember that you adjust indoor to outdoor here and must be ready on time and the adjustment is not as dramatic as it seems when you consider the totality of the split runs.

Charlie do you have a problem with a lower level sprinter doing 80-120 in SPP1 on a indoor track. For example:

SPP1:
4 weeks:
3x4x60

4 weeks:
4x70
4x80
3x100
3x120

4 weeks:
3-4x60

Indoor comp:
3-5x70-80

I don’t like the turns as they can lead to back problems and ham injuries, especially for males

Hi Charlie

Would you have your 400m athletes on the S-to-L run speed sessions like 4x30 1x60 1x80 during the week in the outdoor season or did you more encourage an SE session like 4x30 1x300 with the speed coming from 100/200 competitions on weekends where no 400 race is planned?

I am really frustrated regarding the 400 M S-L template. I have all the templates from both the Edmonton and Vancouver downloads. Neither of them has the 400 S-L template. Rupert says he has sent everything - there isn’t anything more. But John actually has the 400 S-L template, so it has to exist. Can anyone help on this?

Yes, check your box…

There has been considerable confusion about which files are out there and from where. I think John’s 400 S-to-L SPP prob came from the Australian seminars and prob wasn’t in any other files though we thought it was (Hell! We’ve created a lot of stuff!).
In any event, some of you have seen the S-to-L 400 program but none of you have seen the L-to-S 400 SPP graph.
Rupert and I will pull the appropriate graphs and create a new file which we will post here on the forum free as a thankyou to our forum members.
It should be ready shortly- hopefully by the end of tomorrow (July 14th)
I’ll be interested to hear the feedback on them. I can say that both SPPs have been used successfully in international competition exactly as you see them.

Thanks very much, Charlie.

Correct, that is where mine came from along with the 400m L-S dated 2006.

Rupert and I will pull the appropriate graphs and create a new file which we will post here on the forum free as a thankyou to our forum members.

Thanks Charlie and Rupert, that’s why you are # 1 in our book.:smiley:

I ask because last year I ran my fastest 60m times when I started to increase the sprint distance to 70-80m and compete in the 200m 2-3 times.

I think performing submax 100-120’s could help a lower level athlete.