26 Weeks to Glory

Palmtag - A lot of these posts seem to contain injury-related information followed by icing, stretching, rubbing, and contrast showers. I’m wondering if there is a background of injury-preventative training in place.

-A lot of the Hamstring, IT band, knee, and shin (and other lower leg) pains are things I experience when not doing weekly weight training of some kind. I’m not sure of the exact mechanisms, but doing some lifting, be it squats or even isolated movements like leg extensions and curls really helps when I’m trying to hold high mileage, as you are with these regular 7 mile runs.
-The arch problems I have also had in the past, and had good luck correcting by doing the following:

1. Throwing in some barefoot grass runs for 5-10 minutes a few times a week
  2. Using a device called the Elgin archxerciser http://www.runnersgear.com/page/R/PROD/AYR/EAX-001

I’d try to get to a point where you’re training painfree before making any training progressions, or all these recurring issues will sabotage your season.

I think I’m going to take a step back these next 2-3 weeks and really asses my injury situation (Something i should’ve taken care of 5 weeks ago). I’ve got access to a weight room in the afternoon, and I’ve got my mornings back from my early classes, so going to life and drop the milage a significant amount (about 10-15mpw)

1/26/05
Week-8 Wedsnday
Workout: I did an eight mile progression run. Started my first 2 miles in about 15:20-30, then second two in about 14:20, next two in 13:00, and last mile in 5:51. It was a pretty easy, except the last mile, which was fairly intense. About 20 minutes before i ran I did a bodywieght&weight workout…

3x10 full Squats@135lb
That took longer than I thought it would, I then did a core/ab/pushup workout.
6x8+18 pushups in 30 second sections, (30 seconds to do 8 pushups, then start again) Last time I tried doing 10 pushups, and died HARDCORE, so I took a step back and decided to finish this workout.
After the pushups, I did:
6x1:00 of eccentric ab work, extend leg crunches etc,
6x1:00 of eccentric core work, bridges etc.
Recovery: 3:1x4 (16 minutes) contrast shower, felt real good. Going to do a bit of foam roller after some more stretching. My left groin/hammy was only a little bit sore didn’t affect my running, but it kept me from doing one of the bridges.

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

Good call :smiley:

sniff I missed you buddy. thanks for coming back sniff I think I’m gonna cry…

Don’t worry I’ve been checking in, just hadn’t had anything useful to add :smiley:

1/27/05
Week-8 Thursday
Workout: 10min warmup 4x200 w/200jog/walk recovery, 150, 20min cooldown @7:15 pace
I decided that even if I shouldn’t increase the intensity or speed of my runs this next week or two, I should still do a speedy workout. My splits were 31-30-29-29, and the 150 was in 21. I cut the 5th 200 short into a 150 when I noticed that I didn’t have my hips under me. Bad form=useless interval. Also, my quads were pretty sore today, so I figured I wouldn’t be able to do 6 with good form even if I tried.
Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

Nice decision on the bad form interval. Have you read Steve Bennett’s ideas on maintaining form for middle distance runners? http://www.oztrack.com/order.htm. A lot of good stuff in there.
I don’t even like going race pace if there’s lingering soreness; would take an LT run or something and knock it out the next day.
The hamstring is doing better, I guess.

Well, in my journal I’m careful to mention just about every ache and pain I get during my training. Some are normal some are abnormal, some are chronic and other acute. I’ve kept an eye on my right arch, as it took me out of my first 4 weeks of XC training (and IMO cost us the state champs :frowning: ) But last year, I had very few aches and pains besides sore muscles. Now, It seems like if I do 1 workout with 15 seconds less recovery than I should have, or an extra interval that I shouldn’t have, that I will get an injury that can set me back for 2-4 days and sometimes I won’t ever see that injury again. And that ain’t fun at all. It could be devestating for me to hit my mid-season ntensity/volume peak, tweek hammy, and not be able to complete 8-10 days of crucial training.

Joel, are Steve’s books pretty good? I have an 11 year old daughter who runs 800m & 1500m and see he has written quite a few books for youngsters.

I bought “Maintaining Running Form for Middle Distance Runners” and “Training for 400m”. Thought both of them were great and well worth the money. Steve puts a lot of emphasis on core strength and using proper technique, without getting too drill heavy. I think his stuff is well written for the most part, and he does seem to have a great deal of material about training younger athletes. I’ve looked at the free videos on his Flyers website and it would appear he has had many young subjects to work with, so he would probably have some good info to share. He also seems to be a CF fan. For years the CFTS (Training For Speed) was advertised on the front page. It’s now the first item on the Oztrack Amazon bookstore link, and I think you’ll some familiar recommendations in his training detail.

I’ve looked over his 800m plans that he offers for free, and frankly I don’t really like those. But again, I think Steve’s strength is more in identifying the components that are important for success and giving lots of examples of how to work on them rather than writing up a training schedule.

Thanks, I have CFTS.
I am determined my daughter won’t be hot housed and have no intention of her doing any athletics winter training before age 15 or so, She plays soccer then anyway :smiley:

1/28/05
Week-8 Friday
Workout: Before I did a little bit over 6 miles in 47 minutes, I did an extremely intense abe workout. The first mile of my run I was about 8:15 pace, but I was still in a daze from my ab workout. Then as I got my bearings I sped up to 7:15-7:20 pace.

8x1:00 Eccentric ab work (no break between reps)
3 min rest
6x1:00 eccentric ab work (no break between reps)
3 mins rest
2x6x1:00 eccentric core work (no rest between sets or reps)

Recovery: Not much, today. No tendon or joint pain, so I’m going to take a hot bath and try to relax.

Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

I can’t exactly follow that ab workout would you explain it a bit more? :confused:

Well, the problem is that our terminology may be different (go-get-em’s bycicles, oppositte- arm-opposite-leg), but let me try and explain.
The ab routine is mainly just different kinds of crunches, extended leg crunches, bycicles and other work that focuses mainly on the mid and upper abs. The workout is done in 4-6 minute nonstop intervals with the type of crunch changing every 60 seconds. The core work is mainly bridges and a few crunches that have to do more with the interface between upper and lower body, than just the purley abdominal crunches. The girls distance coach (2:54 marathoner) at our school has a “core club” and she directs these workouts. I just go because of all the pretty girls :wink:

ahhh that makes sense it was the
8x1:00

bit that I couldn’t follow.

I just go because of all the pretty girls
as you should :smiley:

1/29/05
Week-8 Saturday
Workout: Sat around today. did some recovery stuff, stretching, contrast showers, a bit of messages. And I did a lot of shooting on my compound :stuck_out_tongue:
Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage

1/30/05
Week-8 Sunday
Workout: nada… did more shooting on my bow, but sat around and ate a lot of food.
Workout Meterage
Weekly MEterage

1/31/05
Week-9 Monday
Workout: 10 min warmup/cooldown, 6x150@21second pace w/4 min recov.

I did all of the reps at pace except for 2. I had been speeding up gradually (or so my handtime said) and finally on my 5th rep I hit 20.8+ and said That’s way to quick. 21.00 is on pace for a 1:52. (Hmm in retrospect that doesn’t seem too fast) So I relaxed and went as fast as my lazy body wanted to go, which was about 22.2+ seconds.
Before I got off of the track, I couldn’t resist chilling with my shot-putter buddies… I shotted a bit over 33 feet. My disc was aweful, but I wasn’t “Pushing down with my thumb”… Eh, was fun anyway.
Post Workout:
6x1:00 eccentric ab
6x1:00 eccentric core
6x0:30 Pushups (reps of 10 this time)
6x1:00 Ab work
6x1:00 (Hodgepodge… I think exact order was, 1:00 (25) pushups, 1:00 unweighted deep squats, 1:00 (25) pushups, 1:00 Crunches w/rotation, 1:00
I almost started doing my ab workout before my light intervals today, when I realized “hey! it’s gonna be really FKin hard to do 150’s if my abs are gelatenous piles of lactic acid.”

Workout Meterage:
4500 (what the, less than 3 miles?! … Probably should have extended the cooldown a bit.
Weekly Meterage

2/1/05
Week-9 Tuesday First day of official track practice!!
Workout: 20 min warmup (easy pace) 20 min cooldown (long-run pace) My workout was well, special. Run+Jog+Run+Walk, was the pattern, and i did 100’s 200’s and 300’s
My splits were…
100’s 16.8h 17.0h
200’s 31 32
300’s 49 50
Not bad I just chilled most of the time, except the 200’s which I pushed a little.
Workout Meterage
Weekly Meterage