2012 Olympics Plan

If you had 4 years starting today how would you prepare for the 2012 olympics?

my lj pr is 7.48

my problem is i foul quite a bit.

my speed is “ok”
3.6 30m dash
7.0 60m dash

my weight training numbers are:
bench: 315
squat: 385
hang clean: 250
power clean: 305

im 6’3, 184, 21 years old

my biggest problems have been injuries, shin splints have been a villain, and ive pulled my hamstring several times. (i might be getting hamstring arthoscopic surgery in a couple weeks to eliminate any scar tissue and really train fearless again)

i would really like to focus on hamstring dev, and anterior tibula dev, for the next few months so i can hopefully eliminate any future injuries.

then at the end of the year really start working plyos in and develop a massive tolerance.

speed has to be a huge emphasis

and i believe olympic lifting has to be a huge emphasis.

squat emphasis on and off for the next few years and maybe nearly eliminate it by 2012. ( i jump better without squats in the program)

some changes i will make:
deeper squatting, glute development, more speed, more plyos.

I would start saving money for the trip - I’m nowhere near athletic enough to qualify to compete :). You might not want to do the same thing as me - what is the Olympic qualifying standard?

8.05m is the standard

funding wont be a problem

this should be a great thread.

there are a lot of good long jumpers, not amazing but good ones who have had to work their butts off to get where they are today.

i would definitely not do anything until that hammy is cleared up, look into ART and soft tissue stuff, it could be your glutes, calves, muscle imbalances or even running form thats causing your chronic problems.

you should really plan out everything your going to be doing in large totals, like number of contacts per month per year…stuff like that

keep a 3/1 work/rest schedule double periodization scheme, keep competing to a minimum but keep the intensity high in practice to help with your fouling problems.

I definitely think you can do it!! because i think i can too!

yes, this is why i havent really had a full training season for the last 3 years and this also why i think im more capable of achieveing the standard than other people in my position

the biggest thing is to keep the body weight level, improve my speed drastically and really increase my plyos tolerance again because i have gone away from them for so long i think its hindering my progress.

what are some other tips you big jumpers have? how have you gotten to where you are today?

What has your progression been like over the past couple years in the jump?

Also what has been causing these hamstring injuries/shin splints?

Sorry, I was being facetious - the only way for me to go to OG is to pay my way. If you qualified, your country would send you :).

perhaps he was referring to the funds required to allow you to train in the manner required to reach the qualification standard…

you sound like my clone with your numbers…your strength is great…speed needs work, technique too id imagine…but your young and just need to train alot and stay injury free…you need a great coach who can guide you correctly towards 2012… very careful planning is needed and emphasis on the much needed areas…for you id say, speed, elasticity and technique (maybe)…

i’ll see you there, if all goes well…:wink:

First off, as someone already suggested, I’d HIGHLY recommend going an alternate route ala ART for your hamstring before you even consider surgery. There are way too many other possible solutions for your hamstring problem to be considering surgery. Surgery should always be an absolute necessity to solve a problem rather than a solution of many.

Second, if you are going to be doing all this speed work and plyos are olympic lifts really needed at all? I’m just curious what you are looking to accomplish with them.

Third, I’m presuming you do a ton of plyos just training for your event, so is doing extra plyo work needed either? Just food for thought.

Lastly, I bet you do better jumping without squats because when you aren’t squatting you are fresher thus jump better. Really a case of fatigue masking fitness. So I think having phases where you maintain your lifting would be better than scraping it all together. Afterall, your doing an event where you basically throw your own body into the air, increasing the amount of force you have to do this (by squatting) is a good thing, no?

I second the motion. Surgery is bad. Good profits for the doctor though.

This sounds rather extreme. I can almost guarantee this is not why you keep pulling your hamstrings. If you have hamstring problems and it is soft tissue a few ART sessions or 5-10 good massage sessions would clear it up. Almost definitily it will be that you have poor internal and external rotation due to tight hip flexors and external rotators of the hip and when these are sorted you will be ok. Then is is a matter of sorting out the training so you arn’t overdoing it.

Where in the UK do you train? As for missing the board sounds like your steering is out. Are you taught NOT to look at the board during approach?

hmm the doctor said i would be back in shape again in a month or so. one of my basketball friends got it done on his hip area and now that hes able to train again hes better than he was a few years back!

however, i still have to get the MRI so nothing is for sure.

but the ART… ive gotten done before and it helped fix the hamstring problems, before i would re-pull it again… nothing i could do?

maybe i should see a diff ART guy then?

thats the thing. ive been hurt on and off so many times that they eliminated plyos all together from my program. this was because my shin problems didnt get fixed until recently. (kineseo tape)

i agree with the squatting thing, i will probably do as you said there. take squats out for a few weeks until major comps. your absolutely right

i used to be awful.
18 yo: 7.20
19 yo: 7.39
20 yo: 7.48
21 yo: 7.22

you can see progress slowing and stopping because of injuries…

im not exactly sure whats been causing these injuries as i have had so many opinions. i think my very tight calves contribute, i also have tight hips and my glutes dont always fire correctly

NICE! hopefuly we can help each other

how do you perfect your speed and elasticity?
i would like to see some examples…

oh i dont train in the uk, i wont say where exactly though…

my coach says as long as it doesnt affect my head, i can look until 4 or 5 steps out. then i try to aim for the back of the pit…?

What do your workouts look like in general, do you think it has anything to do with your training, it looks like you were on a pretty good pace there early.