200m

Charlie, I’m in a similar situation with one of my athletes…last weekend 100m debut, strong headwind and gastrointestinal problems, but not bad performance.
Now we have next sunday a 100m, not important, and on 16-17 1x100 and 1x200.( quite important, but not overly)
So this week, as SE I’d have 2x150 sub max…my quetions are:

1. we came from an unload week…as SE I usually had 1x200 and 1x180,+ str.end, last performed 10 days ago…can I expect to have 200m SE with this week 2x150, and 1x150 sub max next week?
    Or should I plan maybe 1x150 + 1x200 sub max this week?
  2. We just started deloading from weights, still having good acc and good finish, but no “fast feet” now…feel a bit too much aerial…in the indoor season it sorted itself out with the comp period…maybe some quick feet drill in the w.up could help?

Thanks
Thanks

keep the training light in between, perhaps 4 x 30 and 1 x 80 sub max Tues off Wed and WU only Thurs.

Might go one session each week- so 180, 150 this week for SE and 150, 120 next week. I wouldn’t do two different SE sessions next week but I don’t have all the facts so let me know what you think.

Wow, you must be reading my mind. LOL

I was planning on doing:

Sun-Mon: off - Still sore
Tue: 2x30/1x80
Wed: off
Thur: starts/throws
Fri: 100/200

What level of athlete is this for? Elite?

If so what would a beginner, eg 25s 200m do, go hard for 15-20m?

Thanks.

1x150+1x200 was meant to be just 1 session.
I agree with you for the single SE, with the race there is space for just another blocks session + maybe a couple of easy 80?
For weights I’ll be conservative, + would you retain str.end this week?
For the " fast feet" I’ll wait for unloading effect to emerge.
Thank you Charlie!

I might drop the Str End as this point. You can fit in some starts but I’d keep the runs out to 80 as sub-max

My plan…on paper
Su: race 100m (yesterday)
Mon: massage + easy tempo LI Activities
Tue: 3x30m , 180,150 weights
wed:easy tempo, hurdle mobility, easy medball
Thu: starts +2x80 (30+m) + w (ub) + multi throws
Fri: rest /or easy tempo
Sat: pre race activation ( early season experiment with this athlete) / or rest
Sun: race 100m
Mon: Massage + very easy tempo, L I activities
Tue: SE (150+120) sub max+ W
Wed: massage + easy warm up
Thu: blocks + 1x80 (30+m) + multi throws
Fri: rest
Sat: race 100
Sun: race 200

I want to continue to improve his performances, but to be able to post decent times on those last 100-200. The bulk of the season will come later.
Thanks again.

Bump.

Thank you

That would be for higher level 200s. That said, for a 25 sec pace you might accelerate more smoothly out to 30m and try to maintain

Hello Charlie, I can’t figure out what’s going on with my 100m times they are not dropping but my 200m has been dropping every single week. I have enough SE to run faster then what I am running, not having pre/finals is really hurting my performance because I don’t feel sharp for the 100m but feel very sharp for the 200m. At this point I am lost for words…

Maybe you need to add a longer sprint into your warm up at an assigned time similar to a prelim. This was dicussed by sprint coach in the lactate thread. When his guy added a longer sprint about 30 minutes before his race, or going ot the main track etc (I believe a 120), he ran better in the 400.

Maybe add a full out 80 followed by rest while staying loose.

also, from your schedue, I think you have been running a lot of 200s. Maybe take a few weeks away from it and see what happens to your 100 times??

I was leaning towards not running the 200m today but most of the people I spoke to told me to run since my workouts are very light. Also the 200m gives me a chance to bounce back and have a decent day if the 100m goes to shit. Don’t help when your block slip because of the wet track and I had no one to hold my blocks.

I may have to add a full out 80m 30mins before my race, I know another 400m coach who makes his guys run 1x150 30mins before there first race.

BTW today I did my normal general warmup follow by x6 hurdle hops, 3x bungee starts, 1x30, 1x50-60 submax.

Bump for Charlie.

Yes. This might help for the 100m. One longer run- perhaps a 60 to 80 m run with a long break before the race.

Delete…

Another possibility mentioned before is to make sure to do a warm-up in the AM well before the meet to make the meet warm-up easier and more effective. This helps especially when there are no heats.

Would this be something you would want to do if the athlete isn’t use to doing this, also is this a full warmup? Maybe I am lacking speed and should chill and hope for better next year. I’m pissed, I’m getting beat by guys who are doing shit loads of int tempo and suck ass indoors. LOL

The AM warm-up can be very easy and is probably the least intrusive change you can make. Make adjustments first and give up later!