2005 NFL Combine Coverage

I forgot to add that the video has some Comedy as well…when he is talking about the 20 yard shuttle and the first 5 yrds of it he tells you that if your coach teaches you to fire out of the hole like a d-lineman pulls…then you should set up, fire out like he taught you, turn and run in the opposite direction and keep running and find yourself a new coach! He says this without breaking a serious tone…I got a kick out of it! :smiley:

Kelsey, thanks for the words.

To expound upon the context of our discussion I feel that it is very important to recognize the distinction between various athletic endeavors.

Much of the quality training information which, in my opinion, almost entirely stems from former Soviet and Eastern bloc research as well as a few coaches from Canada and US is completely rooted in either track and field or some variation of lifting weights (OL, powerlifting).

sprinting and lifting weights, specifically, are extremely pure and almost entirely correlate highly with the physical preparedness of the athlete. Many team sports, however, demand a higher requirement of sport skill than physicality. This fact rings true when we acknowledge the many great athletes who fail to make it in professional sports.

For this reason, I feel we must be very cognitive of the fact that when considering, in this case, football that we must not try and correlate the training of elite sprinters or weight lifters to football player training.

On Charlies site, and others, much of the discussion of non track related sporting actions tends to feature many individuals viewing various training potentials through the CFTS goggles. Surely there is no question, at least in my mind, that when it comes to pure speed training that Charlie is second to none. However, when considering what percentage of training volume may be allotted to the development of various abilities, for non track athletes, we must be always aware that any non-specific ability is just that…GPP. Accordingly, we must not make the mistake of jamming square pegs in round holes.

This is a common mistake which many individuals in the S and C community continue to make, in my opinion. There exists far too much a tendency for individuals to make every possible effort to integrate, inappropriately, their preferred method of training injto the training programs of various types of athletes.

In regards to the development of GPP for football players:

A naive CFTS proponent will bend over backwards to have football players mimic what Charlie had Ben Johnson doing.

A naive Westside proponent will bend over backwards to jam the WSB template into the training week or find any excuse to have pathetically weak athetes use bands and chains

A naive DB Hammer proponent will bend over backwards to inject some form of ratemagdurationAN2oscillatoryplyomiohyperquasineuroatomicfluxcapacitor training into the program

I feel that it is essential to always assess the needs of the athlete and, accordingly, employ “appropriate” training methods in an effort to Program selected means and methods of training congruently into the training program of any athlete for the singular purpose of raising the motor potential of the athlete targeted specifically at his/her respective sporting action.

So…

If we are talking about the GPP training of a football player, let us consider our training parameters in consideration of the players requirements.

If you are interested I have written a few article s on my site which address these types of considerations.

Regards

This is true for anyone- even within the same sport. Everyone can report on experiences but they must be tailored to individuals.
BTW, I have worked with some high profile guys in the NFL as well and there is no problem as long as you remember what their goal is and what the time-frame is.

http://www.hamptonu.edu/athletics/football/2005%20Football/Mathis%20NFL%20Combine%20(2-27-05).htm

Read this link. The 40’s at this combine were electronic, Deion’s record was a handtime.

Charlie, understood and agree entirely. However, surely we must not compare your perception of programming training with the masses which I referred to in my post, as this comparison would be a tragic and laughable error.

Anyway someone could put that stuff up online.To download it. I have school during the broadcasting time and can’t watch it and I really wanted to see the lbs and dbs. Praying for school closure with snow

Have all the DB’s ran yet? Anyone have access to results for today?

I’m mad I missed the benching only if I knew nfl.com had one open before the packers one

Courtesty of Jhawk Fitness of BB.com forums

Strong Safeties:

Jerome Carter - Florida St. - 4.54 (slowest time 4.59)
Justin Beriault - Ball St. - 4.61 (both times)
Hanzu Abdullah - Washington St. - 4.69
Jamal Brimmer - UNLV - 4.83

Free Safeties:

Sean Considine - Iowa - 4.57
James Butler - Georgia Tech - 4.60
Ben Emanuel - UCLA - 4.62 (both times)
Aaron Francisco - BYU - 4.81

Cornerbacks:

Dominic Foxworth - Maryland - 4.41
Dustin Fox - Ohio St. - 4.47 (slowest time 4.52)
Davin Holley - Cinnicinati - 4.48
Nick Collins - Bethune Cookman - 4.50
Derrick Johnson - Washington - 4.51
Eric King - Wake Forrest - 4.52
Josh Bullocks - Nebraska - 4.58 (slowest time 4.59)
Marlin Jackson - Michigan - 4.59
Eric Green - Virginia Tech - 4.59 (slowest time 4.62)
Travis Daniels - LSU - 4.61
Ron Bartell - some small school - 4.63
Markus Curry - Michigan - 4.63 (slowest time 4.64)
Brandon Browner - Oregon St. - 4.69
Abraham Ellimimian - Hawaii - 4.69 (slowest time 4.73)

Holy shit are you guys watching this…Derek Wake, linebacker from PSU jumped 45.5 inches…I am speechless

Yeah. I wish I could have seen him do it but still 45.5 that’s beast I think the lowest top 5 was a 38 damn their all beast like. Hey whree on LI are you from

45 inches is crazy. Did Fabian Washington run yet?

I live in Huntington. You?

I live in Uniondale

Just wanted to throw a shout out to my homeboy Courtney Roby for getting the 2nd fastest time in the combines (4.36)…

there is just something about us IU football players :slight_smile: puffs chest out: looks at record last year, deflates like a ballon

christ, if only we had him for one more year, I would love to see what he could do in our new spread offense.

What postition do you play

psssh, good question, I came in as a receiver, now I’m either being projected as a strong safety or outside backer… my size makes me a tweener, so I’m not really sure what they are going to do with me

This is entertaining to say the least…

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34064

The pro timing days are starting up. NFL.com has started putting up results here:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/individual_workouts

I was just looking at posted numbers for guys going in to the NFL draft…are these numbers Jacked up (not the combine #'s) but the one rep max numbers? I ask this cause I read Darren sproules who is a running back for kansas state safe squatted??? 814lbs, he is listed at 5’6 181lbs…the is a lot of weight at that weight :stuck_out_tongue: …Jim Wendler said"Many head football coaches require that the strength coach give them a printed read-out of all of the player’s maxes and testing results (body fat %, 40, etc.). At one university, the strength coach would always lie on this paper, making the players much stronger than they were. Unfortunately, if a player is a 4 or 5 year player, the maxes get increased so much over this time period that they began getting obnoxious. An assistant overheard one strength coach say to the other (and this is serious), “We can’t lie about this forever.” The sad thing about this is that many of the position coaches would congratulate the players on having a great performance and the player, with a confused look, would correct the coach and tell him the truth. This would lead to a lot of questions, but like most things at this particular university, it was swept under the rug and forgotten about. This is par for the course and is no wonder why this program is full of losers. College: Div 1-A; major conference"
.If interested you can check out the players and their listed numbers here http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/alphabetical/A