200 meter running

Someone correct me if I’m wrong: During his WR run, MJ ran the first 100m in 10.32, and the final 100m in 9sec. His 100m pr is 10.08? With the curve differential of .3-.4 sec; that puts him awfully close to running at maximal speed around the curve!

10.12/9.20
PR is 10.09

It wasn’t so much as him running close to his max. It’s more like he could have gone a lot faster in the 100. I don’t know many humans who can run within .03 of their pr on the curve. I think Atlanta just proved how fast he really was. Forget about the 9.66 predictions that were all over the place. Dividing a persons 200 by 2 actually works 90% of the time, but MJ’s race pattern that day weren’t exactly normal. So dividing by 2 wouldn’t be accurate. The 1st 100m split is where you would gauge about how fast that person could run the 100m. And MJ’s split says he could have gone 9.82. Frankies split says 9.84, & Ato’s says 9.86. Just a coincedence?

Originally posted by Treble

[quote]Originally posted by dazs
Treble… your pr is 19.32… well well…

Sorry Mr. Johnson i wasn’t aware you posted on charliefrancis.com, i stand, corrected, whatever the gentleman who ran 19.32 says is correct.

I do agree you shouldn’t make a conscious effort to lean into the turn, but during practice you can do drills, such as, “playing the fiddle” and etc to help you lean into the turn. I disagree that if you don’t lean into the turn the centrifugal force will take you out, therefore your body will not naturally lean into the turn enough, especially on indoor surfaces like reno.
Not to dispute anything michael johnson says but this is actually science.

I wasn’t takin anything from the horses mouth. If he said any of the same stuff, it’s just coincedence.

But on the leaning subject, I didn’t mean that you shouldn’t lean at all. I’m saying as you build more speed, your body will start to lean as much as it needs too. Like if you tripped and fell, you’ll put your hands out to break the fall. You didn’t think about it. It’s just a reaction. When your in a car and you go around a corner real fast, you’ll automatically lean the other way so you can stay upright. Kinda like that hind brain stuff that charlie talks about sometimes. If you wanna keep going around the curve your body will lean automatically. Other wise you’d just end up going straight, or just real slow. Leaning more than you have to is another form of energy being wasted. The faster you go the more you’ll lean. [/quote]

treble, not to beat the dead horse, but i was being sarcastic, at the end of your post you wrote, btw, my pr is 19.32, since michael johnson was the only guy who had done that, i was saying, you must be michael johnson.
i understand where you are coming from but i think you need to adjust the way you lean into the turn, but only in practice so that it becomes repetitious and natural in a meet.

Scarface

The advantage I see of coming out fast for the first 35m is that energy will be conserved moreso in the muscle groups that are active in upright sprinting ie. when maintaining. If topspeed is reached gradually to 50m you would no doubt come upright at about 30m and then have to stress the muscle groups used for maintenance moreso in a way to reach topspeeed.

Originally posted by scarface
Although that is a good point…A tremendous amount of energy is expended when starting hard.

I’m glad you brought up this point. Personally i find i get the best results if i don’t quite start with as much intensity as in a 100m, but see myself accellerating smoother for slightly longer (40-50m). Whilst i’ve noticed that there is hardly any reduction in the time of my first 50m i definitely have a stronger last 20. I believe this comes down purely to “Waiting For It” which seems to have double the impact on the bend that it does on a straight …

How much does wind play into any approach to this race? If I remember correctly, Marsh’s 200m final at Barcelona was into a -1.0+ mps wind on the homestretch.

Even though it’s all about measuring up to prior preparation, has anyone ever made at-the-moment adjustments for high negative winds down the homestretch?

Scarface

Going from 0-30m max effort uses more energy over 20m upright however the phase is used. However, as a sprinter becomes more upright, the hamstrings are increasingly activated, thereore, it may be more beneficial to only become fully upright once topspeed has been reached. This way the hamstrings will not have to produce as much power for the acceleration phase and hence save energy for the rest of the race.

This is the theory and I have heard this works for some. I race this way but can anyone else state whether this works for them.

Having proper mechanics as well as a good training program is key to running a great 200, and I now agree, you can’t just depend on running the race all out, If i knew years ago the things I know now…

Whatever works…

Of course

:clap: I am wondering what is my problem when it comes to the 200m. Evertime I run it I normally start out really fast; leading everyone for the first 150m then I start to tighten up for the last 50m. I noramlly run 21.25 sec but then in practice I run 15.20 in the 150meters does this make any sense. I think I should be running a faster 2oo. what should I do. :help:

:clap: I saw that you use the word cadence what is the meaning and the purpose of it in the 200m and is it been used in the 100m.:karate::clap:

My coach wants me too move up too 200m 400m this year. I have already ran one 400 this year and the time was 52.70 but i ran a relay leg 51sec.

But the 400m is still growing on me, my coach thinks i have the perfect body for the 4. But i want to realy make a impact in the 200meters this year.

My pb is 21.84sec but that was windy! i had a read of a post up above and they said that they feel no real speed decrease in there 200meters. Well i do and i want to improve it! i feel horrible in the last 60m even.

I only train twice aweek and i don’t do no circuit training. I was wondering would this help me to do Circuit taining.

I have ran once over the 200m this year and ran 22.20sec i did’nt feel good. I should be able to run faster with my 400m time.

Shall i start doing Circuit or not.

Relax

Let me ask the following:
What would you believe would happened if someone tried to run faster in the 200m by only train his Lactate - alactate power.
More specifically:
reps of 200 max intansity and long rest (30 - 45min).
Do you believe that in this way it is possible to improve the last 50m and ofcourse pb in 200m ?

You can improve the last 50-- if you already have everything you need in the first 150. You can’t, however effect the whole race from a lower performance standard. (I assume also that you mean that these sessions would occur on speed days and not as the only training means)

30-45min rest seems like a lot for reps in the 200, i would think by then you would be so fully recovered, the second would have no effect on the first and so on… unless you are meaning 30-45 minutes between sets. If not I would think you would be looking at a 4 hour day on the track just to get a complete workout in.

In Special Endurance, recovery must be as total as possible.

I am wondering what is my problem when it comes to the 200m. Evertime I run it I normally start out really fast; leading everyone for the first 150m then I start to tighten up for the last 50m. I noramlly run 21.25 sec but then in practice I run 15.20 in the 150meters does this make any sense. I think I should be running a faster 2oo. what should I do.

obviously im not the most experienced sprinter on the board by far, you can tell my my times, i’m a freshman in high school. but ne way my example. i was sprinting the curve and dying hardcore on the straight and running about 24.8-9s consistantly. i decided to slow down on the curve a little bit, go 95% instead of all out. PB’d by .2. then i decided to run it a little easier again, and just run a little faster than my 400 pace. i ran a 24.21, Pb’d by .4. it definately helps to take it easier on the curve, at least for me.

Originally posted by human speed
:clap: I am wondering what is my problem when it comes to the 200m. Evertime I run it I normally start out really fast; leading everyone for the first 150m then I start to tighten up for the last 50m. I noramlly run 21.25 sec but then in practice I run 15.20 in the 150meters does this make any sense. I think I should be running a faster 2oo. what should I do. :help:

Are you sure that you’re running 150m? There are no marks on most tracks for the 150 - just the 145 (400m and 200m hurdle marks).

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
In Special Endurance, recovery must be as total as possible.

When you say as total as possible, is heart rate the test?

you git to listen to yourself and realise when you are recovered.SE run recovery times can last anywhere fron 20-30mins rest depending on the SE session