10m off blocks

If you lost fat, got stronger, sprinted more, and got in better shape and still didn’t improve, then you’ve got me stumped. Maybe start taking some entheogens and worshiping the shaman of the Bwitists, I don’t know. Maybe try that coach that is at the same track–maybe he can see some things that the rest of us do not with the limited information available.

worshiping the shaman of the Bwitists… rofl… that was funny

anyway thanks everyone for the tips…:frowning: i didnt realize it was that bad…

I don’t think your problem(s) with staying low are a strength issue per se. It appears to be more of a problem displaying your strength. In the 30m video it definitely looks like your foot strikes the ground well in front of your COG. Your ankles also appear to collapse during the start and later in the sprint as well, but I am not certain about that secondary to the poor quality of the video. Would it be a possible for you to post a video of your start taken directly from the side? I wonder if you are breaking at your hips during push off from the blocks.

how tall are you?

im 6’2"
climbon thanks for your input…
im not trying to run infront of my COG… i just try to go fast … what does that say about me if i do that ?

Anyway, are those 10m and 30m look like a 7.5 60m or lower ?

first off shorter athletes find it easier to get off low. at first contact you are relatively low. the problem is staying low after the first step. also i noticed that in the set position your body seems parallel to the ground as opposed to butt at the highest point.

so basically every single thing in my running sucks …

Thanks for everything but please no more feedback even though i asked for it, thats enough for now…
this is really depressing… ill come back in a few months if i can still hang in there.

You’re strong, so go for power! Forget about the “do not strike in front of COG”-talk. Instead go for long strides and power! Take as long strides as you possible can, hit the ground hard and crush the track! Also do this as fast as you can, drive your arms fast and hard, but do not shorten your strides!

This needs strong gluteus though…

Are you doing deep squats (ass to the grass)? If not, you might want to start doing lunges do develop your butts.

I’ve been working with a power lifter, trying to teach him how to sprint. His main problem is staying relaxed. So you might have the same problem. Try relaxing :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s obvious from your posture and mechanics your not using your strength efficiently when you run. Your quads are way overpowering your glutes and hams and you’re not using your glutes. That’s why increased strength boosted your jumps (40 inch vert?), but your sprints not to the same extent. The VJ is 50% quad. Even though you are “strong”, your sprinting muscles appear weak. Some of this is natural (muscle cell distribution) and some of this is training influenced. The body will use whatever muscles are storngest to complete a given task, even if the motor pattern is inefficient.

You need power in the right places (glutes). You could probably also benefit from increased hp flexor strength which would help put your hips at a leverage advantage.

Read Korfists article on glute power. That’s what you lack.

KELLY ! thanks man
So just do Good morning 3x6, full squat 3x6, RDL 3x6 after each speed sesssion from now on ? thats 2-3 times a week.

Whats the quickest way to get the hams and gluts strong from where i am right now

how crucial exactly is what ur talking about ? thenths of seconds over short distances ?

I definitely would not suggest he shorten his stride. My point is what KellyB wrote about. His glutes do not appear to be firing correctly despite having good strength in a weight room exercise. If he can fix that, his foot strike will fix itself and he will be able to stay lower for longer on his starts.

Whats the quickest way to get my PC chain strong and big ?

what kind of weight training plan should I follow…

KELLY ! thanks man
So just do Good morning 3x6, full squat 3x6, RDL 3x6 after each speed sesssion from now on ? thats 2-3 times a week.

Whats the quickest way to get the hams and gluts strong from where i am right now

how crucial exactly is what ur talking about ? thenths of seconds over short distances ?

I am currently working on an article on this topic so won’t go into a ton of detail here, but you need to attack it from 2 directions:

1. The hip- As much if not more than anything else how your hips set influences muscular recruitment. A certain degree of anterior tilt favors increased glute activation (despite what a lot of people think)

Posterior tilt favors decreased glute activation

In your case just going off that video it looks like you could benefit from more hip flexor work. Place one foot up on a box so that your thigh is up above parallel. Then raise the foot up and hold it for 10 seconds without bending or squirming around.

Here is a video of Mike Boyle doing this movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUwgrazCg4

To strengthen them, simply incorporate that movement for a couple of sets a few times per week. Another variation (my favorite) is to sit down and place a weight on your thigh and lift and hold. Another exercise I’ve found very helpful is something I call a “hip suck”. Lie down on your back with your legs straight and touch the area where your upper thigh inserts into the hip. Next, without bending your knee, attempt to draw the hip into the socket of the hip joint. You should feel a deep feeling in the groin. Try to relax your thigh while doing this. Hold the position for 10 secs. Repeat for 10 contractions. You can also do this standing up just make sure you don’t compensate by bending your plant leg and leaning sideways.

If the hip flexor work is going to be beneficial for you then you’ll notice immediately the difference in glute activation when you move.

1. Exercise selection

For someone with a glaring imbalance I would avoid any squat based movements. Additionally you have to make sure your glutes are doing the work and not the hams. Go with strength movements such as single leg bent legged deadlifts, single leg Rdls, single leg back extension, reverse hyper, 4 way hip machine and heavy sled/car/truck pushing or pulling.

1. Posterior chain based plyo and special strength movements- lunge based drops and jumps, sled pulls with up to bodyweight

2. glute based speed movements - bound variations, prime times

This is great ! let me see if i get it right…

1. sounds like an easy enough thing to do

numbers 2 and 3:

Monday:

• Restorative Warmup hip flexor drills
  • Block 10m
  • 30m Block
  • 30m Bounds

Wednesday:

• Restorative Warmup- hip flexor drills
  • Prime Times Fly 30
  • Fly 30m
  • ADA Drops (Split) 3 reps
  • Single leg stair jumps

Friday: hip flexor drills
-PC plyos
-23 Sec timer sprints X N

So far so good ?
Now about the weights, where xactly do I fit in all those exercises and at what repsxsets…should i do the SL movements at 3x6 each on monday and friday and car\sled pushing\pulling on wedensday ?

Monday:3x6-8
SL Deadlift\rdl
SL SL Back extension
GM butt squeeze

Wed:
Car push 4xfatigue
Tire pull uphill with rope 3xfatigue

Fri: 3x6-8
SL Deadlift
SL back extension
GM

Good God! Don’t listen to Mike Boyle. He is from my hometown, he primarily works with high school hockey players not sprinters.

holy crap I agree with dr. sprint on something! How many of Mike’s guys can beat Silencer here? Not many…

Can I ask what is so bad about what he posted?

Not the person, the post.

Just asking.

I don’t personally think many programs need extra hip flexor work (if you are doing relatively high volumes of drills/sprints/weights/etc.) and Mike Young has posted some info that favors a posterior pelvic tilt to sprinting. I’m yet to see a sprinter or track athlete fail that particular hip flexor strength test when healthy.

Mike Boyle’s program utilizes hip flexor work because he simply doesn’t have a lot of the same things sprinters do in his program.

From you, that is an ironic post.

Silencer it’s not that bad. The camera angle kind of messed up on the first video, the first couple steps you can’t see. On the second video it did a weird fade thing before it started.

You ran 1.8 ET. Was that electronically timed. Either way, thats not bad. Look at HSI tapes there running 1.6. (HT)

When you get in meets do you get out with the other sprinters for a few steps or right from the start are you behind.

I am trying to diagnose whether this is a reaction issue or not. It might just be the actual reacting to the gun that might be causing it which can be fixed by messing around with the block settings.

Listen to me, I have a fast start.

:slight_smile:

You have the basic strength (obviously with your massive lifting numbers). BUT, as mentioned through the thread, it is the specific strength you may be missing.
Not sure about your specific trunk work though, that is, abs, gluts etc. This looks to be where you may be suffering.
Have a look at a front on video of BJ at Soeul. Look at how little time his foot spends on the ground - this is due to great strength in the abs,hips,glut area.
Good strength in this area enables your to stay down longer and drive out of the blocks better.
Have a look at a world youth 100m final compared to a world champs 100m final, and you will see the youths pop up quicker because they simply do not have that core strength (yet)