ZURICH up next

International Association of Athletics Federations

Association Internationale des Fédérations d’Athlétisme

IAAF GOLDEN LEAGUE - JACKPOT CONTENDERS

14 August 2006

Monte-Carlo – The fourth stage of the six meeting IAAF Golden League 2006 takes place this coming Friday 18 August, at the Weltklasse Zürich in the Letzigrund Stadium.

With the continental championships of Africa and Europe now completed, and the IAAF World Athletics Tour as a whole recommencing after a three week break, the battle to achieve either five or six wins in the series now becomes ever more intense, and so it is the right moment to remind ourselves of the athletes who are still in contention for the new format IAAF Golden League Jackpot.

IAAF GOLDEN LEAGUE JACKPOT FOR 2006

– Total Jackpot remains $1 Million

– Athletes who win 5 meetings – get share of $500,000

– Athletes who can win another meeting (6 total) – get share of AN ADDITIONAL $500,000

– All Jackpot winners must also compete at the IAAF World Athletics Final in Stuttgart on 9 – 10 September 2006.

Athletes still in contention for six Golden League wins:

Men: Asafa Powell (100m), Jeremy Wariner (400m)

Women: Sanya Richards (400m) and Tirunesh Dibaba (5000m)

Athletes in contention for five Golden League wins:

Men: Kenenisa Bekele (5000m), Irving Saladino (LJ), Andreas Thorkildsen (JT)

Women: Susanna Kallur (100m H), Blanka Vlasic (HJ)

2006 IAAF Golden League Events:

Men: 100m, 400m, 1500m, 3000/5000m, Long Jump, Javelin Throw

Women: 100m, 400m, 3000/5000m, 100m Hurdles, High Jump

IAAF Golden League - Dates and venues in 2006:

Friday 2 June, OSLO, NOR

Saturday 8 July, PARIS, FRA

Friday 14 July, ROME, ITA

Friday 18 August, ZURICH, SUI

Friday 25 August, BRUSSELS, BEL

Sunday 3 September, BERLIN, GER

GOLDEN LEAGUE IAAF – LES CONCURRENTS DU JACKPOT

14 août 2006

Monte-Carlo – Le Weltklasse Zürich, quatrième des six meetings du circuit Golden League IAAF, aura lieu vendredi 18 août, dans le stade Letzigrund.

Les Championnats d’Afrique et d’Europe sont à présent terminés et le Tour Mondial de l’Athlétisme de l’IAAF dans son ensemble reprend son cours normal après trois semaines d’interruption ; aussi la bataille pour réaliser cinq ou six victoires sur le circuit, devient-elle plus acharnée que jamais. C’est donc le moment idéal pour se remémorer le nom des concurrents qui restent en lice dans la quête du Jackpot de la nouvelle formule de la Golden League IAAF.

JACKPOT DE LA GOLDEN LEAGUE IAAF 2006

– Le jackpot est toujours d’un million de dollars

– Les athlètes qui remporteront 5 meetings se partageront 500.000 dollars

– Les athlètes qui remporteront le sixième meeting se partageront 500.000 dollars supplémentaires

– Tous les vainqueurs du jackpot devront obligatoirement participer à la Finale Mondiale de l’Athlétisme, à Stuttgart, les 9 et 10 septembre 2006.

Athlètes toujours en lice pour les six meetings Golden League :

Hommes : Asafa Powell (JAM, 100m), Jeremy Wariner (USA, 400m)

Femmes : Sanya Richards (USA, 400m), Tirunesh Dibaba (ETH, 5000m)

Athlètes en compétition pour les cinq meetings Golden League :

Hommes: Kenenisa Bekele (5000m), Irving Saladino (Longueur), Andreas Thorkildsen (Javelot)

Femmes: Susanna Kallur (100mH), Blanka Vlasic (Hauteur)

Les épreuves de la Golden League 2006

Hommes : 100m, 400m, 1500m, 3000/5000m, Saut en longueur, Lancer du javelot.

Femmes : 100m, 400m, 3000/5000m, 100m haies, Saut en hauteur

Golden League IAAF - dates et villes en 2006 :

vendredi 2 juin, OSLO, NOR
samedi 8 juillet, PARIS, FRA
vendredi 14 juillet, ROME, ITA
vendredi 18 août, ZURICH, SUI
vendredi 25 août, BRUXELLES, BEL
dimanche 3 septembre, BERLIN, GER

ZURICH, Aug 17, 2006 - Newly-crowned European sprint king Francis Obikwelu will test his mettle against 100m world record holder Asafa Powell at the fourth Golden League meeting of the season in Zurich on Friday.
The duo will head a strong field for the 100m that also includes Jamaica’s Michael Frater and Kim Collins of St Kitts and St Nevis - silver and bronze medallists at last year’s world championships.
Powell is still in contention for a share of the one-million-dollar jackpot for athletes who can win all six meetings along with American 400m runner Jeremy Wariner, and American Sanya Richards and Ethiopia’s Tirunesh Dibaba in the women’s 400m and 5000m events respectively.

Undefeated in seven races over 400m this year, :confused: Wariner has dominated his rivals, winning both the Paris and Rome legs of the Golden League by more than a full second in each.
The 22-year-old has racked up three sub-44sec performances this season, a time which only seven others have breached.
I'd say it would be routine for me to run low-44 and sub-44 the way I've been running,'' the world champion said. As long as I execute my own race and stay healthy, I’ll be able to do it the rest of the season, and I hope the rest of my career.’’

The Weltklasse meeting is being held for the last time in the Letzigrund Stadium, where 23 world records, 58 Swiss records, and more than 250 other national records have been set.
Gunning for a potential record on Friday will be Ethiopian running phenomenon Kenenisa Bekele in the 5000m, but the world and Olympic 10,000m champion will have his work cut out in a field that includes a dozen Kenyans, notably world 5km champion Benjamin Limo, and European champion Jesus Espana of Spain.
Saif Shaheen Saeed, the Kenyan-born Qatari, could also be on course to lowering his own world record for the 3000m steeplechase which will feature Olympic champion Ezekiel Kemboi of Kenya and European number one Jukka Keskisalo of Finland.
The women’s 5000m race promises to be a cracking affair with the Dibaba sisters, Ejegayehu and Tirunesh, up against Ethiopian compatriot Meseret Defar, the Olympic champion and world record holder.
Other stand-out events include the women’s high jump, where surprise European champion Tia Hellebaut of Belgium will be out to confirm her dominance over world champion Kajsa Bergqvist of Sweden and Olympic gold medallist Elena Slesarenko of Russia.