ZMA research

Was doing search on zinc and zma and found these abstracts. Conte’s research showed it worked (no surprise there, but this seemingly unbaised research shows otherwise. How could athlete training level change results? Is the benefit enough for the recovery aspect? Thoughts?

1: J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2004 Dec 31;1(2)
Effects of Zinc Magnesium Aspartate (ZMA) Supplementation on Training Adaptations and Markers of Anabolism and Catabolism.
Wilborn CD, Kerksick CM, Campbell BI, Taylor LW, Marcello BM, Rasmussen CJ, Greenwood MC, Almada A, Kreider RB.

Exercise & Sport Nutrition Lab, Baylor University, Waco, TX.

ABSTRACT : This study examined whether supplementing the diet with a commercial supplement containing zinc magnesium aspartate (ZMA) during training affects zinc and magnesium status, anabolic and catabolic hormone profiles, and/or training adaptations. Forty-two resistance trained males (27 +/- 9 yrs; 178 +/- 8 cm, 85 +/- 15 kg, 18.6 +/- 6% body fat) were matched according to fat free mass and randomly assigned to ingest in a double blind manner either a dextrose placebo (P) or ZMA 30-60 minutes prior to going to sleep during 8-weeks of standardized resistance-training. Subjects completed testing sessions at 0, 4, and 8 weeks that included body composition assessment as determined by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, 1-RM and muscular endurance tests on the bench and leg press, a Wingate anaerobic power test, and blood analysis to assess anabolic/catabolic status as well as markers of health. Data were analyzed using repeated measures ANOVA. Results indicated that ZMA supplementation non-significantly increased serum zinc levels by 11 - 17% (p = 0.12). However, no significant differences were observed between groups in anabolic or catabolic hormone status, body composition, 1-RM bench press and leg press, upper or lower body muscular endurance, or cycling anaerobic capacity. Results indicate that ZMA supplementation during training does not appear to enhance training adaptations in resistance trained populations.

1: Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007 Sep 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Serum testosterone and urinary excretion of steroid hormone metabolites after administration of a high-dose zinc supplement.
Koehler K, Parr MK, Geyer H, Mester J, Schänzer W.

1Institute of Biochemistry, German Research Centre of Elite Sport, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany.

Objectives:To investigate whether the administration of the zinc-containing nutritional supplement ZMA causes an increase of serum testosterone levels, which is an often claimed effect in advertising for such products; to monitor the urinary excretion of testosterone and selected steroid hormone metabolites to detect potential changes in the excretion patterns of ZMA users.Subjects:Fourteen healthy, regularly exercising men aged 22-33 years with a baseline zinc intake between 11.9 and 23.2 mg day(-1) prior to the study.Results:Supplementation of ZMA significantly increased serum zinc (P=0.031) and urinary zinc excretion (P=0.035). Urinary pH (P=0.011) and urine flow (P=0.045) were also elevated in the subjects using ZMA. No significant changes in serum total and serum free testosterone were observed in response to ZMA use. Also, the urinary excretion pattern of testosterone metabolites was not significantly altered in ZMA users.Conclusions:The present data suggest that the use of ZMA has no significant effects regarding serum testosterone levels and the metabolism of testosterone in subjects who consume a zinc-sufficient diet.European Journal of Clinical Nutrition advance online publication, 19 September 2007; doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602899.

ZMA is the single best supplement I have ever used in my entire life. There are very few supplement that you can actually feel the difference other than stimulant which are usually pretty easy to rate by effect.

I have seen those researchs, they made me second guess the thing, what a mistake I made back then!

My take is If you train hard 3-4 days a week, you probably need an extra Zn/Mg combo. Just try It, If you can’t tell the difference, then stop using It and gain self knowledge based on experience with twenty buccs…

ALSO-Up to 5 mg of zinc is lost during ejaculation. Defiencies in zinc in males can lead to reduced sperm count and sex drive. Frequent ejaculations can lead to zinc defiency.

Perhaps folks in those studies were not…very active…

If you want to take studies seriously, stop taking vitamins- they don’t work- 50 years later, oh sorry some do- oh sorry never mind.
Try it. If you notice the diff, use it. I’m pretty sure you will. Check the archives here on it.

If they’re scientists, they’re not getting laid (corduroy pants and sandals with socks are not a recipe for dating success). Of course, they have the comfort of knowing there’s no study to show sex is fun.

Very Funny charlie…

to quote you:

“Scientific research must always FOLLOW observation/intuition, as it must validate a given proposition. Failure to validate a clear observation is the fault of the science- not the observer.”

Science is a good thing, but Isn’t a substitute for real world experience

I do take it and see big benefits.

ZMA is a very well-absorbed mineral supplement that will correct a Zinc and Magnesium deficiency if one exists as both play a significant role in the production of testosterone, GH, IGF-1 and several other hormones. So if you’re deficient in either of these two minerals, your hormone levels will not be optimal. But if you’re not deficient, taking ZMA is a waste of money.

I think it goes beyond hormone regulation and helps with muscle relaxation. You keep feeling effects long after you’d have to assume that a deficiency is overcome. I presume the calcium sparing effect is helping to keep the muscle tone at good levels and the lower tone may be part of what helps you sleep more soundly.

That’s the 400 mgs of magnesium aspartate. I’m of the belief that pretty much everyone is deficient in magnesium. There are too many dietary and environment factors to think that supplementation with 400 mg is enough to not only fix any deficiencies, but provide any additional benefits.

Try 400 to 1,000 mg of magnesium glycinate a day. Same relaxation effects as ZMA, and you can get 180 400mg tablets for about $15 - giving you more flexibility with how much magnesium you take.

so the lower the muscle tone the better?

so wud there be a need to taper off the zma prior to competition

No- that’s when you want the tone to be optimal and you want to be able to sleep!

I deff feel that I sleep better when taking ZMA, this could be placebo but thats just my take on the topic. Especially when I’m doing 2 sessions a day I think it just keeps me a little fresher. In fact I’m about to go take some and get to sleep.

you made me dig deep into my cabinet to find some old zma tabs, just pop 3 of those bad boys.