Youth Speed Volume

I searched this section and didn’t find anything…thought I’d post it here to get a discussion and comments from coaches who work/have worked with teenage athletes

With 2 training sessions per week available, what volume range would be recommended for teen athletes ages 13-17…most are relatively fit from playing sports most of the year, and would most likely be playing sports 1-2x/wk during training.

Comments? thoughts?

80-250…

With only 2 sessions a week, divide it up to speed/speed endurance and accelerations/blocks/plyos.

They are only semi-serious so a more general train approach should be applied. A focus on technique should also be most valuable.

You might think that there other sports training committments would add to their general fitness for aths.

Others thoughts?

there other sports are general training means he cant overdo it.

A lot of technique work and short sprints out to 60m (80m at the most). Work on drive phase from all fours (not standing) and transition into top speed, etc. If they can sprint 60-80m quickly from the floor sedentry without blocks they will damn well be fast in their sports when they’re already up and moving.

Should be mentioned, working sprint distances can only be up to about 20-25m before the wall comes into play…

Your building athletes. Get them to plow through the wall, it’ll build strength.

In all seriousness, work up to 20m then or go outside to a field in your area…

Get them some soccer/football spikes and get them out on a field, if your only running 20 meters you might as well have them just practice their sport an extra 2 days.

They don’t even need cleets. Barefoot :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, I’m in a cold and snowy winter state and going outside is like running a WR in Vancouver.

I was being serious as well, I am in the northeast and we get a good amount.

Snow and cold is always a tough call, I would say get outside whenever you can.

Otherwise if they are doing other sports they will get a lot of the general conditioning and light/medium intensity plyos from the sport they participate in.

Running 20’s, I’m assuming on a hard surface such as a basketball court will do more harm than good unless you have a long padded runway.

You could try to do step workouts of some sort depending what you have available or some kind of circuit training.

If these kids are only 13-17 they will need some general conditioning anyhow.