Youth athlete rest breaks

During times of long breaks between sprints with groups of youth athletes, what do some of the coaches on this forum having the athletes do?

:confused: :confused:

You can probably cut the breaks a bit for youths.

well if any of them play any other types of sports they should be ok, if not look into some long term training.

Let me specify more, breaks between sprints in a single workout.

they need to feel fully recovered. that said, the likelyhood is that this will take a lot less time than for top athletes, who, of course, are able to put out far more into each rep.

Charlie, with your groups of 30 or so young sprinters, what did you have them do during rest?

Too broad a question. Depended on how fast they were, how fit, the inside or outside temperature, and the distance of the reps, etc.

Very true. I also gauge rest by effort as well for the kids. If they BS little rest. Good effort and concentration long rest.

Check the East German textbook of athletics, they have some nice tables set up…

as for what to do in the breaks someone once told me :smiley:

“why stand when you can sit and why sit when you can lay down”

What age do yall consider a “young” athlete? Im 17, so would that consider me young still?

You are a young pain in the a$$. :smiley: J/k.

At that age it depends on your level and what you want from the particular work out. Is it a cardio session or a Speed session or special end. session. The type session pretty much determines the rest.

Sounds like rule number 1 of my training diary, and 95% of throwers I know.

So If I were to do a speed work session, would the 10m/1min rest rule apply to me? Or could it be shorter? I couldn’t really tell you what level of athlete I am. I am a jr in hs. Football is my primary sport and I run track.