Your thoughts about resuming training

I don’t care, I decided to just get the orthotics and stop fucking around and wasting my time with shit that isn’t working.

It’s been 4 days and the shins do feel nice, but still not perfect. Would it be wise not to train still for a few more weeks?

bump…

need advice!!

I tried running like 3/4 mile each day for the past few days…and while my performance was pretty good, I think it hurt my shins a little bit.

I just need a good rehab routine now. I’ve got the orthotics, I’ve got a nice new pair of running shoes for over pronaters, now I just need a rehab routine to try and get back into working out again.

bump…

advice please

th orthodics are acting as a crutch, you need to strengthen the tissues properly just switching to flat soled shoes wasnt to fix the problem it was to put ur body under the proper training condtions. now u have a more complex problem. now u have to heal the tissue then reeducate the neurology to be able to suppport the load you place on it by training.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I need a routine to get me back into working out overall though.

Like I wanna start to rehab into running and lifting again. The elastic band stuff didnt even help me anyways :frowning:

Charlie doesn’t seem to be totally against orthotics. (well I gathered that from when he mentioned the guy he recommended for orthotics) , so I don’t see how wearing them is really so bad then.

Nothing worked. I’ve had shin splints since friggin February 2006. I’m not going to dick around anymore. I tried everything I could. Even with orthotics I still have some shin pain though. It’s a never ending battle for me…

Please try using a bike tube and lots of resistance. A good 10-15 minutes per day non stop.

charlie and I views differ. the choice is ultimatly up to you i have presented my argument on why you shouldnt use them (over dependence on ergonomic aids eventually changes neurological motor patterns adversly) and ive been where you are. people think its normal injury and pain should accompany training at high intensity. orthodics are just like lifting belts and wraps. it changes the neurology so that it becomes dependent on said aids.

Arghhh I don’t know how a bike tube is going to be any different. I just honestly don’t think doing anything with a bike tube will make a difference. It’s only a little more resistance to me right?

Anyways here’s the deal. For some reason my shins are feelin pretty damn good as of late (no running though in a few days). Dunno if the topical pain relief stuff is actually making the difference, not sure. When I run I don’t have pain, it’s how I feel after running that’s the problem. I complain the most when im NOT doing anything. It’s not actually running or jumping that hurts. It’s AFTERWARDS. Am I just being a sissy?

Also, I dunno if its the orthotics or new shoes, but I feel like my shin muscle is actually getting used more or differently now I guess. I dunno how to explain it, but I just feel my shin muscle gettn used more now. I’m not sure why I posted that lol, but any insight on that too would be nice.

Thanks everybody…

bump this…

If you haven’t trained in 7 months, how is it possible your still getting shin splints? I don’t get it, your must be doing something to aggravate it. The only real way for shin splints to recover is to let them just recover, don’t do anything. I’ve read up lots on this, severe cases have to stop running and jumping on any surface and just do training in pools until the shin splints completely subside. You can’t just do a normal sprint routine, you must center the routine around your injury. Only run when the shin splints are fully recovered, and when there sore, well you don’t get to run, that’s what I had to do, slowly build up, I still get them sometimes, most runners do. If you have been truly doing nothing for 7 months, and they won’t go away, I don’t see them just going away suddenly, 7 months is a loooong time, you must be aggravating them, right?

I can’t even think what I’ve been doing the past 7 months. I remember a lot of icing and lazyness. Chances are ive aggravated it here and there

Ummm my plan is to start lifting again, and hold off on sprinting then. I have no idea what to do with myself anymore. My shins are just not fukin getting better. Maybe it was all of the icing and taping I did…maybe too much of it…

Bro I’m just saying you need to use a bike tube because I used a resistance band which was not much of a challenge and I saw no positive effect. Then I used a bike tube which was very hard and I did the foot rotations/figure eights and my shins were better in a week. I too was at my wits end so thats why I am suggesting it.

I would wear the orthotics. They helped with shin splits for me a lot. I dont see how they slow you down or are similar to lifting belts but to each his own. orthotics have helped me run almost pain free and with that my pb went down 0.5 over the 100 that season.

I’m just really frustrated man. What’s really driving me insane is the thought that its way too late for me to ever be nearly pain free again. After 7 months of this, I must have a lot of permanent damage…

Ok I’ll get a bike tube, but I need to know these things then:

1. How should I set it up so that it is secure?
  2. How many days a week, sets, and reps?

Yeah I’m wearing the orthotics, and while I do feel a bit better with them, I could be a lot better still. Not going to lie…within the few months my shins HAVE progressed a bit…like I seriously feel theyre better…but there’s still room for a lot of healing…

Alright get back to me on the bike tube questions though, because I’ll just give it a shot.
Also, you think its fine that I start lifting again, doing squats, bench, deadlifts, and some other non-impact exercises?

I doubt you have permanent damage/I dont even think thats possible with shin splints.

Okay so go down to your local bike shop and ask for a deflated bike tube, they have hundreds and will give them to you for free.

So you get the bike tube, place the tube on the ball of your foot then pull real hard to ad a good amount of resistance. you can sort of cross over your hands to make a figure 8 out of the tube so your foot is really secure.

Then do:

2 minutes clockwise rotation of foot. 1 min rest
2 minutes anticlockwise rotation of foot. 1 min rest.
2 minutes of a figure eight motion (kinda like drawing a figure eight with your tow) 1 minute rest
2 minutes of a reverse figure eight motion.

Do this for both feet 2 X per day. Ice shins after if you feel you need it. Rub in some anti-inflamitory cream, massage the shin. The motions need to be slow and controlled, if your not feeling a burn in the front part of your shin your not doing it right.

do this for 2 weeks and report back how you go.

btw I would lay off weight lifting if your shins are that bad. Even doing squats used to fuck up my shins. At least lay off heavy weightgs for a week. I would not do powercleans/squats/heavy deads.

I cant stress this enough, if it feels too easy and your not getting a burn in the front of your shins your not doing it right or you need to pull harder and add more resistance.

^^

Its not a 100% cure for shin splints. My shins start to break down with more than 4 sessions of running on mondo per week. but you will see improvement, if not I would be very very surprised.

Thanks a lotttt mann!

I think what’s really frustrating me is that theyre just not good enough. I did some sprints last week, even did a sprint then did a sharp cut and they held up with no pain really. It’s really weird that I notice pain in less intense activities or even when doing nothing. Heh, does it sound like I’m making an excuse to lift again?

I felt it more in my feet and side of shins. Are you sure the tube should be on the balls of the feet because thatll cause your foot to be pulled up, which is what the shin muscle is supposed to do, if you know what I mean