Young runner's training journal

I’m not sure what you have planned for speed work before March 1st so this might be moot, but if it was my athlete, I’d be cautious with monitoring her warm-ups & body signs with the topspeed work going into the race due to her hitting PB speeds (to reduce risk of injury). Keep us posted with everything and keep up the great work! Your daughter is very lucky.

Thank you for the words of wisdom… I will watch her closely…

And, actually, I feel very, very fortunate to have a child that loves a sport as much as my daughter. She does not complain, actually, she drives me much of the time when the weather is bad, or poor conditions… she still wants to do her workout no matter what.

She really wants to be the best she can be and has had this love for track for the past 5 years… and believe me, she will do what it takes to get there.

This is what I’m thinking for her workouts this week:

Monday

Tempo

1 x 10 x 100m @ 70%, relaxed

Medicine Ball work, upper body only

Tuesday

4 x 40m, relaxed, 90%

Wednesday

OFF

Thursday

4 x 40m easy, relaxed starts and runs

Friday

Race day

What times on Friday are the 60m heats/finals and 200m heats/finals (or are they timed finals?). If finals, do you expect her to make it to the final?

The Prelim for the 60m is at 6:10pm (4 heats)

The Final for the 60m is at 7:45pm

The 200m timed final is at 8:25pm (2 heats)

Updated heat sheets came out today, her events are:

60m: 2 heats, timed final @ 7:10PM

200m: 1 heat, @ 7:50PM

That’s pretty good actually. Close together, but only 2 runs in that order is nice.

Time to update:

Went to the University of Washington meet on March 1st, she warmed up and was ready to run in the 60m when she talked to one of her track friends who had just been told that she should not run in the meet because High School track season had started, and because of High School rules, she could lose her HS eligibility…thankfully her friend found her before she raced and told her the news.
It was a long 150 mile drive and no events, but…it was good to have found out before racing.

Today… she is on a new HS Track team. A couple days ago, she transferred from the school that has caused her so many problems, getting to the point it was unsafe and unhealthy for her to continue there… to an online program she will be doing at home. She is an A student, and very studious, so this will work great for her…she can work at a faster pace and homework won’t interfere with training, travel etc., will make things much easier for her.

She is out of the country now due to a family emergency, but will be back on the 18th and very excited for her 1st day of HS track. They have a good sprint program, are flexible and want what is best for my daughter… she already knows at least half the kids, this will be a great fit for her, and the team.
She is very very excited.

Interesting. Is it governed by a Washington highschool track/field association? In BC, athlete may not compete in club/open meets representing their school, but they can if representing their club or unattached.

WIAA…HS athletes can’t compete with college teams, which they draw the line when HS outdoor season starts, as the other meets are “open” meets and not college competition.

HS athletes can only wear uniform in WA State coaches association “approved” meets…can’t wear uniform at club meets or non-school meets.

“Interesting. Is it governed by a Washington highschool track/field association? In BC, athlete may not compete in club/open meets representing their school, but they can if representing their club or unattached”

It appears it is similar here… as long as the student is not in college/high school uniform, and does not gain “points” for a college team, they can run in open college meets.

But, was also told, that technically it could be counted against you in later college, and viewed as “college tryouts”… I need to find out more about that…

I would be extremely surprised if this was the case.

Surprised by which, or both?

This:

But, was also told, that technically it could be counted against you in later college, and viewed as “college tryouts”… I need to find out more about that…

You are right. I called the NCAA office today, and after finally getting the right person and being on hold for a half hour, he quoted me the rule and exception:[FONT=MyriadPro-Black][SIZE=3]13.11.3 Tryout Exceptions.
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=MyriadPro-Bold][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=MyriadPro-Bold][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=MyriadPro-Bold][SIZE=3]13.11.3.1 Open Events. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=AGaramondPro-Regular][SIZE=3]Participation by a prospective student-athlete in open events conducted by or held[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=AGaramondPro-Regular][SIZE=3]on the campus of a member institution shall not be considered tryouts. Competition shall be considered open if
the competitive event itself is not classified by age group or level of educational institution represented, and the
selection of participants is not limited except by number, by geographical area or on the basis of some objective
standard of performance (see Bylaw 13.11.1.8).
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Here is the WIAA High School rule: Amateur Status and Open T&F Meets
[FONT=Arial,Arial][SIZE=4]The open meets offered by many colleges and recreation organizations are open to any high school athlete to compete, in or out the high school season. The exception for this statement is when the athletes are professional or the college athlete is scoring for their school. If this is the case, the high school athlete should be placed in a different heat that has only non-scorers, unattached, and nonprofessional athletes. The high school athlete may not wear high school uniforms while participating at these meets. High school athletes should not be transported or coached by the high school coaches (paid or volunteer) until the summer out of season time period.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Glad to know you’ve got the official rules in hand now. :slight_smile:

Yah… wish I had these last March 1st when decided not to run at the UW Last Chance meet…300 mile round trip and no running… but, when not sure better safe than sorry.

It is really unfortunate that you didn’t get to test the effectiveness of the taper in a race setting. However, the season was a massive success thanks to The CF Long to Short 400m template, some great coaching decisions, and a motivated athlete.

I’m looking forward to you updating the journal with the missing information so others can learn from your experience (as are many others I’m sure). It’s this kind of free exchange of experience and information that keeps the CF spirit alive!

Anyone looking for the original 12 week L-S 400m program I used this past winter, I started a new thread. It also includes video of the 3 different races ran during the program:

Young runner’s training journal winter program 2012/2013