yoga

. I’d like to start off by saying that nowhere in my previous post regarding the hardness of MJ’s muscles was I mocking you. Can you show me where I was - specifically mocking you for the use of the term “like a brick”? I don’t think you can as I didn’t even use this term and took it to mean as you meant it to - that his muscles were hard. Please don’t try to discredit me by putting words in my mouth.

Your last statement regarding Larry Warnock, that MJ had hard muscles due to waste product etc, are probably very true.

My point is doc said this, not because he doesnt understand muscle density, he said this most likely because MJ muscles were full of with waste products which made them hard on the touch.

However in your first post in this thread you misrepresent Warnock’s views, placing them in a context suggesting that Larry thought that MJ had tight muscles.

There seems to be a correlation between tightness of muscle and power. It seems most sprinters are wound tightly, doc my friend who performed sports massage at the 96 olympics claimed that michael johnsons hamstrings were like a brick

This is where the problem lies Tim - your lack of context and ability to stick to a consistant line. I’m sure that your friend Doc is a very intelligent man, from the papers of read I certainly wouldn’t deny it.

Being a massage therapist or not has no bearing on whether MJ was tight or not. Having met him on several occassions, spoken to his physio at the track, watched him training every day for a fortnight in the lead up to the Olymipic Games in 2000 I will tell you that the various flexability exercises he performed suggest that he was not tight or inflexable to the point that I would suggest he was one of the most flexable athletes I’ve ever seen, up there with Linford. This is all I need for my point (which, in case you missed it again, was that he is not tight).
Tim the reason they were not found in your dictionary was simply because you were looking in the wrong type of dictionary, because they are BOTH medical terms (one describing the phenomenon regarding excessive range in joints, the other describes a congenital disease that is frequent (but not confined to) children. Your therapists definition is not incorrect either , your interpritation however is incorrect as it refers to the actual ROM of the joint and ROM it has been designed to travel through.
Charlies TRAINING CONCEPTS were different from those in the US, Canada and Western Europe (he’ll tell you himself that he did not pioneer this form of training), he did not attempt to redefine already established terminology or words.
I think Charlie has a very good programme, however having never worked under him on a full time or any other type of basis I can’t comment on it’s implementation. I think that other coaches have brilliant programmes and they too have the results to prove it so no I wouldn’t say it was second to none, and i don’t think it would have worked for an athlete like MJ.

Dazed,
In the fortnight you observed Micheal’s training what was he doing for his flexibility program?

If you would like me to start a different thread to ask this I will.

At that point in time Michael wasn’t performing large amounts of stretching, most of it was partner assisted PNF type. Most work in this area was massage based.

Linford had a quite extensive, although apparently unstructured, flexability programme. He and his group used to sit around for around an hour to an hour and a half playing up and stretching before sessions. Linford was rediculously bendy for a big guy.

Watching him in Tampa is where I got my stuff…he trained very hard and would do an hour of various drills during his non speed drills. Great guy.

Some of this training is lost…meaning athletes just want to sprint and then take a day off and go to the mall and pimp…I have had the pleasure of working with some fine athletes that felt that trianing every day was good.

Tim…

Enough of this…private message dazed and myself. Failure to comply will result in your account being suspended for 30 days.

I said I’d speak to dazed, I take death threats VERY seriously, please…chill out…goto starbucks…order an iced latte.

Please…no more crazy talk.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

I don’t know why anybody has their hair in nots about this one.
I’ve done yoga before and my sprinting posture and fluidity improved straight away.
As clemson has said, an athlete should be aware of their body and only stretch to the point that they know would be of benefit to their running or individual sport. Hell, after training for many years I’m aware of my body, and have been able to do something like 60 individual isolated muscle contractions without moving a limb. Stop underestimating yourselfs unless you’re dangerous to yourself. If not, then u don’t need a yoga instructer, (or not more than one session with an instructer) +
a good book on it, to take what u need for your sprinting. Your yoga instructer knows FAR less than you about sprinting and they could be a jepordy if u let them. Just take what’s good for u.
If there is any slight problem with yoga it would be this;
If performed as a seperated training component the athlete is faced with a choice; should they warm up their muscles for the stretches,
only to go straight into slow movements which would cool down the body again. (some forms of yoga are about lowering the heart rate and having a calming effect on the body which does not work well with an excited warm up.) But really, it’s not that much bother, just use your commonsense and kinesthetic awareness combined with a good book/pictures or a one off instructer.

Can anyone find a better piriformis stretch then the pigeon pose? Fire away.

Annoying Boy on Bus

A little kid walks into a city bus and sits right behind the driver and starts yelling, ‘‘If my dad was a bull and my mom a cow I’d be a little bull.’’
The driver starts getting mad at the noisy kid, who continues with, ‘‘If my dad was an elephant and my mom a girl elephant I would be a little elephant.’’

The kid goes on with several animals until the bus driver gets angry and yells at the kid, ‘‘What if your dad was a drunk and your mom was a prostitute?!’’

The kid smiles and says, ''I would clemson from cf.com!?

Timothy,

Great post!

Just loving the yoga poses for the piraformis…passive stretching by your self letting angles and gravity do the work for you? Just marvelous! Any yoga haters got a better stretch?

I wouldnt attempt this type of stretch in a million years. Or the pretzel either for that matter (earlier post). Look at this.
http://www.sissel-online.com/exercise/yoga_pigeon.php

Stretches superior to yoga pigeon pose and yoga pretzel stretch.
http://www.chap.com/lgmain.htm
http://www.chap.com/bkmain.htm

Clemson this one one of my best subjects. Im the stretching guru.
:cool:

Dr.Lane (also known as Tim lane) posted a url with the same pose in it. How smart…“look this red jeep is better then this red jeep!” Brilliant! Then he posts don’t do this with a url then posts the same stretch to do 3 minutes later! Some Guru…

The pigeon pose allows for the bodyweight to do the work instead of tensing up…far more passive and effective. Timothy lane? Explain your rationale.

??? Then tim lane said he was teaching a yoga class. Then he erased it.

Pigeon pose places the groin in far to vunerable postion.

Dr.Lane,

what is a general ROM score for the groin? Name the muslces first and general scores.

This stretch equals hypermobilily and over stretched groin. Very dangerous.

Numbers Timothy…numbers.

How can I argue numbers when half the people on the website dont even believe you can be hypermobile in certain bodyparts. Ill see if I can find a chart.