World Juniors

well i guess now our attentions turn towards the world junior chamionships for some coaches on this site… be great to read national news and results heading in, rising stars and even postcards from any others coaches attending the meet.

“Australian world junior team selected”

A total of 52 athletes have been selected, with the team size likely to increase with further selections in July. The additional selections should ensure the team is the largest ever World Junior team to compete overseas, surpassing the 53 selected to compete in the 1994 World Junior Championships held in Lisbon. The largest ever Australia World Junior team numbered 59, when they competed on home soil in Sydney in 1996.

The strong team should be capable of matching Australia’s excellent recent record at the IAAF World Juniors, where they have placed sixth and eighth at the 2004 and 2000 championships and fifth or sixth at the last three World Youth (U18) Championships.

The Australian team includes five members of the successful 2006 Commonwealth Games team: Kane Brigg, Vicky Parnov, Lauren Boden and two medallists Dani Samuels (bronze - discus) and Jamiee-Lee Hoebergen (gold - 4x400m relay).

Two new individual stars emerging from the team include half-miler, Lachlan Renshaw and long jumper Robbie Crowther. Both were very close to Commonwealth Games selection, improving dramatically last summer. Renshaw’s best time last summer of 1:47.97, was the fastest time by an Australian junior for nine years. Crowther, who leapt 7.99m, equalled the Australian junior record and his performance would have ranked him number two Junior in the world in 2005. Interestingly these are events which Australia has a very good record at World Junior level. At 800m, Australia has won three medals, and in the long jump the athletes claimed two medals and seven top-8 places.

A feature of the team is the number of athletes which have previous International Championship experience. Athletes like Samuels, Hoebergen will be competing at their fifth Championships in the last five years. They both competed at the 2003 World Youth Championships and have since competed at three of the following: 2004 World Juniors, 2004 Commonwealth Youth Games, 2005 World Youth Championships and 2006 Commonwealth Games. There is a logical progression from the 2005 World Youth (U18) Championships with 17 athletes making that step, but the following athletes have competed at more than one of the previous Junior/Youth Championships, and bring much experience to their 2006 World Junior Championship campaigns: Chris Noffke (’04 WJ, ’04 CYG, ’05 WY), Brandan Galic (’04 WJ, ’04 CYG), Katherine Katsanekavis (’04 WJ, ’04 CYG, ’05 WY), Madeline Heiner (’04 WJ, ’04 CYG, ‘04/05 WXC), Sophia Begg (’03/’05 WY, ’04 CYG), Annabel Thomson (’03 WY, ’04 WJ, ‘04 CYG) and Kane Brigg (’04 CYG, ’05 WY).

Could this wave of juniors be emerging as our best group for over a decade? Regarded as the finest World Junior team, the 1990 team provided the nucleus of the National team during the ‘90s. Standout members of the successful 1990 World Junior team included: Cathy Freeman, Melinda Gainsford-Taylor, Tim Forsyth, Kyle Vander-Kuyp, Jane Saville, Renee Poetschka, Rohan Robinson, Andrew Currey, Damien Marsh, Simon Hollingsworth, Paul Greene, Susan Andrews, Kylie Hanigan and Chris Unthank.

The team is dominated by athletes from NSW and Queensland who have provided 63% of the team. The number of selected athletes by state were: NSW 20, Qld 13, Vic 7, SA 4, ACT 4 and WA 4. The trends from the 2006 and successful 1996 and 1990 teams are interesting. NSW 38% (’96 36%, ‘90 37%), Qld 25% (’96 17%, ’90 6%) and Victoria 13% (’96 33%, ’90 25%).

Australian Team for the
11th IAAF World Junior Championships
Beijing, CHINA, 15-20 August 2006

MEN
100m Todd Bateman (S), Aaron Rouge-Serret (V)
200m Kurt Mulcahy (N), Aaron Vanderent (N)
400m Alex Bubner (S), Dylan Grant (Q)
800m Lachlan Renshaw (N)
1500m Adam Graham (Q)
110m Hurdles Adam Slezark (N), Lachlan Stanton (Q)
400m Hurdles Felipe De Castro Cruz (W)
3000m Steeplechase Ben Ashkettle (V)
High Jump Kane Brigg (Q, Liam Zamel-Paez (Q)
Pole Vault *Matt Boyd (Q), *Matei Tzvetanov (W)
Long Jump Robbie Crowther (Q), +Chris Noffke (Q)
Shot Emanuele Fuamatu (N), *Joe Stevens (Q)
Javelin Nathan Burgess (V)
4x100m relay Bateman, Harry Egan (N), Brandan Galic (A), Rouge-Serret, Vanderent,
4x400m Relay Bubner, Tristan Garrett (N), Grant, Mulcahy, Renshaw

WOMEN
100m Kate Leitch (Q), Laura Verlinden (N)
200m Leitch, Verlinden
400m Jacqueline Davies (Q), Jaimee-Lee Hoebergen (N)
800m Zoe Buckman (A), Katherine Katsanevakis (V)
1500m Madeleine Heiner (N), Brooke Simpson (N)
3000m Lucy Starrat (N), Lara Tamsett (N)
3000m Steeplechase Sarah Grahame (V), Heiner
100m Hurdles Tara Holt (N)
400m Hurdles Lauren Boden (A)
High Jump Sophia Begg (N)
Pole Vault Charmaine Lucock (Q), Vicky Parnov (W)
Long Jump Boden
Triple Jump +Linda Allen (Q)
Shot Dani Samuels (N)
Discus Samuels
Javelin Zoe Pelbart (N), Annabel Thomson (N)
10,000m Walk Tanya Holliday (S)
Heptathlon Megan Wheatley (W)
4x100m relay Jess Gulli (V), Elizabeth Jenkins (N), Briony Kanard (N), Leitch, Verlinden
4x400m Relay Angeline Blackburn (A), Davies, Hoebergen, Suzie Knight (V), Katherine Robb (S)

• Athlete must achieve another World Junior qualifying performances to confirm their selection (this will be their pre-departure standard).

Now i am not off to Bejing next week for WJ i hope someone from the site will be able to post a daily diary of whats happening inside their camp. after the great success of the melbourne postcards of PJ & SC.

results from australia’s last comp before departure.

World Juniors pre-Departure Meet - Gold Coast
10 August 2006 - 4.14pm

Conditions: Fine, warm. Light to strong tail winds.

Highlights: Personal best to Suzie Knight in the 400m; Kane Brigg 2.20m in the high jump, 58.19 to Dani Samuels in the discus, 18.07 to Emanuele Fuamatu in the shot put.

110m Hurdles Wind +1.0
17M Lachlan Stanton AUS WJ 99cm 14.55

100m Hurdles Mixed Wind +1.0
18F Jessica Gulli AUS 84cm 14.69

60m - Heat 1 Wind +1.2
19M Aaron Rouge-Serret AUS 6.80
19m Brandon Galic AUS WJ 6.88
18M Dylan Grant AUS 6.95
18M Aaron Vanderent AUS 7.02

100m - Heat 1 Wind +2.8
17M Kurt Mulcahy AUS 10.68
OpM David Falealili NZL 10.70
18M Dylan Grant AUS 10.98

100m - Heat 2 Wind +4.0
18F Laura Verlinden AUS 11.80
18F Toea Wisil PNG 12.19
18F Raphaella Baki PNG 12.60

200m - Heat 1 Wind +2.6
18M Aaron Vanderent AUS 21.30
OpM David Falealili NZL 21.75

200m - Heat 2 Wind +0.8
19F Kate Leitch AUS 24.93
17F Angeline Blackburn AUS 25.00
18F Laura Verlinden AUS DNF
18F Jessica Gulli AUS DNF

400m - Heat 1
19M Niko Verekauta FIJI 47.02
21M Sean Wroe Glenhuntly 47.16

400m - Heat 2
18F Suzie Knight AUS 55.22
18F Zoe Buckman AUS WJ 56.14
19F Jacqui Davies AUS WJ DNF

800m - Heat 1
19M Adam Graham AUS 1:52.05
19M Nick Toohey AUS 1:53.68

http://www.iaaf.org/WJC06/index.html

heres the link for the official site for the WJ that kicks off in a few hrs from now.

has start lists for todays events already up.

Nanny, do you know what has happened to Olivia, heard a roumour she has changed coaches

Changed coaches AGAIN???

the first change worked well she’s gone from well under 12 to not making WJ team…

Olivia is training with the new national sprints coach, has been since last year.

She could have but it was decided that should not go and concentrate on World Youth next year. What about Aaron Rouge-Serret with 10.44? Huge PB. Neville can still get people ready when it matters eg Peter Norman 1968 Olympics

Heard from the coach she left to go to the national coach that she has left him as well.

It isnt all Olivia’s decisions changing coaches. There is a certain parental influence, (similar to that of Jana when she was younger (look at all the coaching changes she had when she was younger, which continued into more current times)) that has an impact on the coaching decisions

I thought she may have missed the wj team because a parent went crook on a team manager during the last world youth tour “letting a 14 year old out without adult supervision”

The last coach got her an education, if you had you would have been coach 5.

I was coach 1 & 3 and good mates with coach 4 and curious who coach 6 was.

Love the site Charlie.

Who is Olivia? :confused:

I know the person who has gone to WJ as Manager and will be interested to talk to them when they get back in light of this in yesterdays paper.

The New Zealand team will be staying alongside the Canadian team and she will be able to gain an insight into the Canadian approach to high-performance sport.

just a kid who shows a lot of talent.

same person, I don’t read newspapers

I am sure the Canadians will tell the kiwi’s their secrets.

Day 2 and still no gold medal to the USA. :eek:

following report edited from iaaf site.

World Junior Champs, Day 2 – PM session summary
Wednesday 16 August 2006

Beijing, China -

Bulgaria’s Tezdzhan Naimova upset the hopes of USA’s Alexandria Anderson, the fastest junior in the world this year (11.12), with a smooth acceleration after 40 metres which took her into the lead past Jamaica’s Carrie Russell with 40 to go, and to the line in 11.28 seconds (-0.8m/s) for what was an emphatic victory in tonight’s women’s 100m final.

Anderson, the fastest of yesterday’s semi-final winners, was never properly into today’s race and finished 5th in 11.49.

As the gun fired it was Russell, in lane 3, who took the early initiative, and she remained in that position until Naimova’s attack outside her in lane 6 reached full momentum.

With a late run, Gabby Mayo brought some compensation for USA creeping past a fading Russell to snatch the silver on the line with the same time as the bronze medallist (11.42).

Naimova’s form had on reflection been disguised by the fact that she was a slower semi-final heat winner than Anderson, her true speed in her 11.53 victory yesterday hidden by a -1.8m/s wind, the strongest headwind of the round.

Perie and Aikines-Aryeetey turn World Youth titles into Junior gold

The men’s 100m final was late-off by about 5mins from the planned schedule but there was nothing sluggish about Britain’s Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, the reigning World Youth champion, who sped to his season’s best of 10.37. Nothing looked secure for the Briton until 5 to 10 metres before the finish when he first got his barrel chest in front and secured a two-hundredths’ of a second win over Justyn Warner of Canada in silver.

China’s Jiahong Liang who was to finish 5th (10.43) had battled for the lead in the middle of the race with the Briton, Canadian, and Jamaica’s Yohan Blake (bronze 10.42) and Remaldo Rose (fourth 10.43) but slightly faltered at the end to miss the medals.

The Briton, who very politely puts up with the fact that nearly every one of his countrymen let alone the rest of the world have difficulty pronouncing his family name, had a previous best of this year of 10.38, though his lifetime fastest is the 10.35 which he ran in 2005 on his way to his Youth title.

The men’s Long Jump final came alive competitively, though not for the hopes of the home crowd, in the fifth round when Australia’s Robert Crowther bounded out to an Area Junior record of 8.00m, with USA’s Antone Belt responding immediately with his personal best of 7.95m.

Suddenly, China’s Xiaoyi Zhang who had been leading since the first round with 7.84m and had improved to 7.86m, found himself down in third place. And with fouls for both Belt and Zhang in the sixth, and Crowther declining his final effort, that’s how it remained, gold for Australia, with an inconsolable Zhang, the World junior season’s leader, left crying in despair on the side of the runway.

In fourth place, Iran’s Mohammad Arzandeh’s 7.67m effort was a national junior record.

Gashu’s guarded approach garners gold

Qualifying rounds…

Looking particularly good in the qualification rounds this evening were Britain’s Martyn Rooney (46.01 – 3rd semi-final) in the men’s 400m, but also taking comfortable semi-final heat wins was, for Trinidad and Tobago, Renny Quow (46.18 – 2nd race), and there was a good double header in the opening heat which was taken by Japan’s Yuzo Kanemaru (46.06) from Belgium’s Jonathan Borlee (46.08 – PB).

World Youth champion Nawal El Jack of Sudan qualified well in the women’s one-lap, in her season’s best of 51.84 seconds, though the fastest semi-finalist of the day was Jamaica’s Sonita Sutherland (51.67).

Zambia’s Racheal Nachula’s 53.05 clocking was a national junior record though it failed to move her into the 400m final as she finished third in her heat behind Russia’s Kseniya Zadorina, who with 51.94 was the third quickest this evening.

The best of the women’s 400m Hurdlers was Nicole Leach of USA with 56.10 which won the first semi-final heat. This event is going very much to season’s form, as the American with 55.35 is the fastest of the entrants, and the second and third quickest of 2006, Jamaica’s Kaliese Spencer and Ajoke Odumosu of Nigeria, were second (56.11) and fourth fastest (57.00) this evening. Upsetting the form book slightly was Sudan’s Muna Jabir Adam whose 56.55 was the third quickest overall, and a national record.

Chris Turner for the IAAF

The Canadian approach to high performance lately has been to “approach” fast people and then hang out with them. What can you say about a situation where every team member must pay his own way AND pay enough extra to bring over officials and coaches they’ve never met and cover their not inconsiderable bar tabs.

HARRY SETS SIGHTS ON OLYMPIC DREAM
By David Martin, PA Sport, Beijing

Harry Aikines-Aryeetey admitted after winning the IAAF World junior championships 100metres title last night he does not plan defending it in two years’ time.

Rather than compete in Bydgoszcz in Poland Aikines-Aryeetey wants to make his debut at the Olympic Games while still a teenager.

“I want to come back here for the Olympics, Beijing would be a nice little opener,” insisted the 17-year-old winner of the junior age group title at his first attempt in a season’s best 10.37seconds.

Aikines-Aryeetey, after an interruption to his preparation plans in June with a back injury, stunned older rivals with his confident victory.

For over a year, the winner of last year’s World Youth 100m and 200m gold medals, has admitted his major ambition is winning a gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics.

That dream took another massive step forward with last night’s victory and knowing it was achieved against older, but also exceptionally talented opponents.

Aikines-Aryeetey said: "2008 in competitive terms in athletics seems a long time away and I know it will come along quickly enough.

"I don’t know who will be around then although I’m sure Asafa (Powell, the world record holder) will still be about.

“But I would love to be representing Great Britain and today has given me even more confidence.”

That is the message Dave Collins, the much criticised UK Athletics performance director, will have been pleased to hear of his brightest sprint hope for the future.

But Collins will also remember Christian Malcolm, the 1998 champion and Mark Lewis-Francis who succeeded him two years later, have not quite made the same impression at senior level.

‘Harry A-A’ himself admitted: “It’s difficult to know which youngsters will be around and who will have come through.”

But his showing clearly suggested he is on the right tracks and with the guidance of coach Matt Favier has already developed into a mature - and fun-loving - performer.

“I’m over the moon,” he said after breasting the line two-hundredths-of-second in front of his Canadian rival and despite his back problem.

Aikines-Aryeetey added: "My coach said I would do it and if he says that, it’s got to be true.

"I’m a championship performer and I proved that again today - I am extremely excited.

"Other people were very strong in the final with better personal bests than me.

"It is my dream time. Yesterday I said I was too young to be a champion.

“But I am young and I am extremely good.”

The women’s 100m final saw

15-year-old Asha Phillip miss out out on the bronze medal by just 0.06sec in a time of 11.48sec.

But few can doubt the Newham & Essex Beagle is also another bright prospect for the future and hopefully can maintain her interest into the senior ranks.

Martin Rooney, the UK 400m junior record holder and Commonwealth finalist, strolled through his 400m semi-final in a time of 46.01seconds.

The world’s fastest junior this year is now expected to add to Aikines-Aryeety’s gold medal, which would add even more spirit to the British squad.

Two years ago in Grossetto they they failed to win a single medal.

Dedication pays off for Naimova
Thursday 17 August 2006

A new training schedule and a renewed approach to the sport are the secrets behind Tezdzhan Naimova’s success at the IAAF World Junior Championships.

The Bulgarian sprinter was relatively unknown before this year, but an 11.23 personal best in June and a wind-assisted 11.11 one month later thrust her into the frame as one to watch out for in Beijing. Nevertheless, the favoured runners to take the title were American duo Alexandria Anderson and Gabby Mayo – the two fastest juniors in the world this year.

But Naimova was never fazed by their presence and got down to business as soon as she stepped onto the track. Her heat and semi-final performances were won with metres to spare and Naimova emerged as a serious gold medal threat when running 11.53 into a -1.8m/s headwind to qualify for the final.

Looking every bit as sharp as she had done the day before, Naimova sped to a superb winning time of 11.28 – again into a headwind – to beat Mayo and 15-year-old Carrie Russell of Jamaica to the gold medal.

Naimova won by over a metre, just as she had done in the previous rounds, and pre-race favourite Anderson had to settle for fifth behind another 15-year-old, Asha Phillip of Great Britain.

“I’m very happy and I’m still in shock,” said Naimova after winning. “I don’t think I fully appreciate what has just happened and what I’ve achieved.”

Back in Bulgaria, however, they are no stranger to World junior sprint champions, and Naimova becomes the second woman from her country to win the 100m title at these championships – the previous winner being Nora Ivanova in 1996.

It is a country which is quickly gaining a reputation for producing great sprinters, especially in recent years with European indoor 200m champion Ivet Lalova and European 400m champion Vanya Stambolova being some of the greatest Bulgarian success stories.

“It is great that Bulgaria has such a strong sprint team and it makes me very happy,” said Naimova, who competed in the 60m and 4x400m relay at this year’s IAAF World Indoor Championships. “I hope that we can continue to improve so that we will have strong relay teams.”

But Naimova is quick to point out that she does not idolise her Bulgarian team-mates and is keen to make a name for herself in athletics. “I am trying to make my own way in this sport,” said the 19-year-old, before boldly adding: “Maybe one day Ivet Lalova will become one of my biggest rivals.”

With a World junior gold already round her neck, you would be brave to bet against Naimova scoring similar success on the senior stage. Her 11.23 personal best was the fastest 100m performance by a European junior since Lalova’s national junior record of 11.14 in 2003.

“I have improved this year thanks to many hours of training and hard work,” says Naimova, who is coached by Stoyko Çorrov – a former 16.86m triple-jumper – at the Lokomotiv Plovdiv 2004 club in Bulgaria.

“This year I have taken a much more professional approach to training, which helped me break my PB and to come and win here. Every hour has been dedicated to this.”

Jon Mulkeen for the IAAF

Canadians are actually coming through this time in some areas. Our male sprinters are doing better then the US thanks to Barnett and Warner. But ya $3000 for the trip :eek:

Do the math. check ticket prices and you can see the athletes are paying more than their own way.

Canada’s Brian Barnett (93) sprints ahead of Hungary’s Miklos Szebeny (370) and United State’s Calvin Smith (793) during a Semi Finals of the Men’s 200 meters competition for the IAAF Track and Field World Junior Championships held in Beijing, China, Thursday, Aug 17, 2006. Barnett qualifies with a time of 20.96 seconds

50.7 ! Looks like a well conditioned athlete

Croatia’s Danijela Grgic celebrates after crossing the finish line first at the finals of the Women’s 400 meters for the IAAF Track and Field World Junior Championships held in Beijing, China, Thursday, Aug 17, 2006. Grgic took the gold medal with a time of 50.78 seconds.