Work Experience

This is just a brainwave I have had as I am interested in getting involved in the collegiate coaching system in the US, as here in the UK, coaching is very much voluntary. What I was wondering is if it firstly would be a good idea, and secondly, possible, to go over to a college (which one I have no idea!!) for a couple of weeks and lend a hand coaching unpaid. That way, I would be gaining experience, networking, but I also assume it wouldn’t contravine visa regulations as it’s on an unpaid basis? Am I right on that? Be interested to know what you guys think?

Maris

As we have touched on briefly in PM, I would welcome anyone who wants to lend a hand (unpaid).
Several Charlie Francis.com posters have inquired about working in the US, but I have no idea how the whole visa thing works…

By the way, what’s the limit on a passport visit? If you were only going to visit for a few weeks, do you need a visa?

Also, a company I’m affiliated with is running a very basic speed camp early July. If you happen to be in NJ then, well…

Hey Devils. I believe I am entitled to 90 days within the US without a visa as I am from the UK and there are several countries with like a treaty with the US that allows them this opportunity. When abouts in July is the camp? At present I work in a school which finishes for the summer around the 20th, and if I could get something sorted financially to be able to afford a flight etc, then it could be an option. Definitely a chance to put something on my CV and network, get my name around a little bit!

I really am keen to start trying to put something into action. I’m not getting any younger! Ha!

If you want to work in the US you need the green card (via annual diversity lottery; soon to be declared the winners of the 2009 visas) or a sponsor for one of the working visa (preferably a “special” one like the H1, if I don’t recall badly, for sport and entertainment people, but unless you have already coached at high level they won’t issue it).

You are NOT allowed to work with the 3 months tourist visa.

Does coming down the track or the gym to help out unpaid count as ‘work’ though?? I understand the system regarding visas for residency or employment, but I figured this was almost a loophole in which I could get some experience.

I’d do it if I was near NJ. At least I’d be good for jokes. :smiley:

Does coming down the track or the gym to help out unpaid count as ‘work’ though??

As long as you don’t mention the word WORK when you get into the country you’ll be fine.

Our little secret then!! Ha

Yes or you’ll be in deep trouble! Those boarder guards are predators!