WILLIAMS WINS FROM STUMBLING MONTGOMERY

By Gene Cherry
PALO ALTO, California, June 20 Reuters - BernardWilliams upset world record holder Tim Montgomery toclaim a stunning win in the men’s 100 metres at the USchampionships today.
Montgomery was last at 20 metres after stumbling andtouching the track with his hands but he recovered toroar back and finish second in 10.15 seconds.
Williams, the world championship bronze medallist, wonin 10.11 seconds. Jon Drummond was third in 10.18.
The trio, plus reigning world champion Maurice Greenewho had a bye, will represent the US at the worldchampionships in Paris in August.
I lost the battle but maybe I can still win thewar,'' Montgomery told reporters. I fell, touched the track with my hands, got up andcame in second. I just closed my eyes and ran.’‘Earlier, Montgomery won his semi-final in 10.27 seconds.
Williams, who finished behind Greene and Montgomery inthe 2001 Edmonton world championships, said he hoped todo better in Paris.
This was one of my best starts today,'' he said. Ireacted well (to the starter’s gun) and made a goodtransition.
``It means a lot being the American champ. I was kindof hungry.’’

Kelli White was first in the women’s 100 metres in thefastest time in the world this year, 10.93 seconds,despite a headwind of 1.1 metres per second.
Torri Edwards grabbed second in 11.13 and Gail Devers,the 1992 and 1996 Olympic champion, won a photo finishfor third in 11.16 seconds.
My start was awesome,'' said the 26-year-old White,who nine years ago survived a knife attack that requiredmore than 300 stitches. I am excited with how fast Iwent into this wind.’’
World indoor champion Dwight Phillips defeated WalterDavis by virtue of a better second effort to win themen’s long jump. Both leapt 8.24 metres but Phillips hadanother jump of 8.21 while Davis fouled out at his onlyother attempt.
Two other world indoor champions advanced totomorrow’s finals.
Tyree Washington ran the fastest 400 metres semi,clocking 45.09 seconds, and David Krummenacker, who isrecovering from a hamstring injury, went through in themen’s 800 metres.
Legally blind Marla Runyan won the women’s 5,000metres in 15:16.18 and Tim Broe took the men’s race in 13:35.23.
Olympic 400 metres hurdles champion Angelo Taylor, whosuffered a groin injury in a workout this week, failedto advance past the first round.
He finished fourth in his preliminary in 50.72seconds, missing the semi-finals by 5/100ths of asecond.
The top three finishers in each final at the US trialsqualify for the world championships.
Reuters pc
:clap: