make a time prediction every time he runs
now. It may be better to just say that
he is very well prepared to run fast, he
will give it his best and let’s see what
happens. I think fans, like myself, like to
make predictions and then see what
happens. However, I think that the
athletes may not be doing themselves
any favors my making public time predictions for themselves for every race.
Or, maybe it creates more anticipation and excitement. Any other opinions?
Finally, will Tim run sub 9.90 in his
second race? I don’t think so. I predict
around 9.95.

Athletes are always better off if they keep the pressure off themselves as 716 suggests. It’s hard to resist answering the press’ questions when you’re the headliner and results are expected from you.

what kind of time are you expecting to see charlie. i agree with 716 that he will be in the 9.95 range.

We’ll know after Sat! I do think that he lost somewhere on the order of .15 to .2 in Mexico with the start and subsequent “pop up”. I saw the film but I couldn’t see from it where his front foot was relative to his hip in the set position. Often, when an athlete pops up, his front foot was slightly ahead of the hip in the set position, causing a delay while he “rolls over” the front foot before he can push out. I don’t know for sure if this was the case, though, if it was, it wouldn’t have happened if I was there!

Charlie, is there anyway we could get that video posted on the site? Thanks a bunch

Charlie,

I know that during the winter there were talks of Tim running some fast times this year. Without your guidance, can he still obtain his lofty goals. Better yet, can he hold off Maurice this year?

Obviously tim’s in good shape following the time he posted in mexico city, and that race he wasn’t happy with at all!! Though I’m not sure if he’ll run below 9.90. If he doesn’t then he’s only got himself to blame cos of the pressure he’s put himself under…

There’s no point speculating as to what could have been done. There is only the situation as it is now and the future is not in my hands.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
I saw the film but I couldn’t see from it where his front foot was relative to his hip in the set position. Often, when an athlete pops up, his front foot was slightly ahead of the hip in the set position, causing a delay while he “rolls over” the front foot before he can push out.

isn’t it somewhat difficult not to have your hip ahead of the foot… i mean that to have your foot in front at “set” you’d have to be shifted pretty far back. maybe i’m visualizing it incorrectly.

did Tim say he was going to break the WR before the race? I doubt it, he went out to race his best and to win, and the WR came to him, you should never chase a record, when it comes it will come, thats why i believe that Mo is gonna do some serious damage on the track this year!

Kebba
It’s a pretty common mistake for sprinters to have the FRONT foot ahead of a plum-line dropped straight down from the hip in the set position.
BTW, if Tim had the 2.0mps wind from Modesto instead of -.3, there’s your 9.90 right there. This is always the problem with outdoor predictions- you don’t know the conditions in advance. So the correct pre-race prediction for all occasions? Take a page from Mo Greene on this one: “We’ll see!”

We have this in progress…

Video to follow (T.M in Mexico)

Thanks and stay tuned

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com