Will Bolt and the Jamaicans break the 4x100m record?

What’s the weather forcast?

A couple things about Bolt…

In my mind, he will almost certainly run the anchor leg. He already has 2 Gold & 2 WR in two events. They’ll probably want him crossing the line for potential Gold#3 and WR#3 if one or both come. Even though Powell has shown himself to be an excellent anchor leg runner, even when coming from behind, he seems to get tense at unfortunate times. It would be very bad for Powell to get the Baton JUST ahead of Richard Thompson as he might tighten up, despite having superior speed. If the Jamaicans can get the baton to Bolt and be within 2 metres (or more) of anyone else, they are assured the victory barring injury.

Jamaica are now very strong favourites and can afford to exchange safely with the speed they have.

I totally agree with your order (Bolt leadoff) but I’m afraid that it’s too logical.

If they are planning to run Bolt anchor they would have probably put Powell 2nd in the prelims.

if Bolt has already run, NO ONE will be there to bother any Jamaican. They’re in lane 5, so Bolt can put down a 9.95 or faster first leg.
If not first, second to ensure no second to third pass issue where the second leg must catch from the outside- Bolt can catch anyone anytime- a great safety margin. first win the f**king thing, then pose for photos after!!

Excellent.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/54511.html

Powell will not tighten up, just recall last year in Osaka.

Carl Lewis did this in the world record 4x100 run.

You didn’t allow anything for free distance (dist between the runners when the three exchanges are made- they don’t meet up)
That should give a minimum of 36.65 and likely faster.

He was running from behind then. It’s when someone’s on his shoulder that has me “concerned”.

Ya you got a good point there but I see relay differently and it works differently when its a flying run than when you have to worry about a start and acceleration phase and everything.

If Bolt runs second, he can’t slow down and pound his chest… so they might have a chance of a WR.

I was also thinking that :smiley:
Lets please not pull a 1996 donovan bailey (although that wouldnt break the record certainly), I wonder what fan reactions will be if they run a 37.42 and Bolt slowed down causing them to miss the record :eek:

o well lets not get into this

I’m not totally convinced of a jamaican record int the 4x100 relay.

however, that set apart, i don’t think that Bolt should be anchor or first runner. i think bolt should be used as 2nd or 3rd runner and try to make things out so that he runs as much distance as possible therefore as close to 120m as possible since he is faster than the other (quite clearly) and has proven he can maintain the pace.

despite being a 200m runner i don’t see bolt as a great bend runner and i believe he is faster on the straight. but if bolt runs in 3rd and runs close to 120m with baton thus giving the baton to powell nearly at the end of the changeover zone (i know it’s risky but it’s all about tactics int he relay) powell will have to run only a little bit more than 90m and therefore he won’t lose that much speed since he obviously can’t maintain his speed for full 100m.

just an opinion that bolt should be 2nd or 3rd runner and that the jamaicans should take full advantage of him by making it possible to run as much distance as possible, though risky.

ONCE AGAIN we were right
37.10!!!

That was THE greatest relay ever, great job.

Oh well…there goes that theory!:rolleyes:

You’re right, but most of the calculations I made were based on the assumption that there wouldn’t be much space. Usually at this level, everyone is trying to be “safe” so the spacing between the athletes is usually relatively poor.

Which is why we probably got a 37.10 instead of a sub37. Which is a pretty good bet for the future.

Also, the idea that putting Bolt 1st being too logical seems to be the theme of the games. Everything that would seem like the simplest, yet best choice is ignored for politics or simply stupidity.

The U.S. for example even before the dropped baton were already at a disadvantage from the order of the relay. With the same personell, they could have run this team instead

1. Tyson Gay
  2. Darvis Patton
  3. Rodney Martin
  4. Travis Padgett

Now for the finals you switch Rodney & Padget for Crawford to Dix. Instead of the complete overhaul that would have likely taken place.