which would be better during fasting month?

i’m trying to keep up my training during ramadan (fasting month- you can’t or drink between 6:00am and 7pm)… so i was wondering which of the two options would be better:

1. doing my workouts (sprints/weights or tempo/conditioning) earlier in the day say early afternoon, and then eating after 7pm.

or

1. doing my workouts right before breaking my fast ie workout then break my fast right after at around 7pm.

with number one i’d have more energy since i would have had food not THAT long ago. But i don’t get to have a PW meal till atlest 4 hours

with number i get the PW meal right away but my wrokuts will likely be less intense since i will be in the latter stages of my fast and thus hungier/thirstier etc.

ps. can’t really workout after breaking fast b/c its too late/dark and i’m usually too tired afterwards anyway.

thanks for the advice.

The only one of those that would be the least bit realistic would be working out right before breaking your fast. If you can’t workout sometime later at night, you are going to have to just seriously adjust your training or make a decision about lifestyle choices. You may just have to consider it a month nearly off of training.

i agree an dif i was you i would get up early so i could cram something in my throat b4 6.

I would agree. A choice could be to train at night time (like after 12am), when you are allowed to eat. Not realistic, but then again your not open to much choices (and I think you said you would be tired then, so that may not even be an option). It really about what you put as priority number one (and there is no right or wrong answer for the priority).

what’s so bad with training like 4 hours before breaking my fast? is the PW meal that important? i thought that was more key for BBer’s

PW meals are still very important to athletes of all levels and sports.to be honest i wouldn’t be 100% sure on what approach to take because from 6am-7pm = 13hours fasting so @ 7pm you will be as you said thirsty and hungry.

i would take both food and water on board on the 13th hour wait/relax till 10/11o’clock then train around 11.30-12.00 if possible.you will also get proper nurishment @ training with this approach.

ideas?? during this period you may have to decrease intensity/workload due to lack of nurishments/dehydration etc and the reason why i’m saying this is due to the high risk of injury

working out dehydrated and then furthering it by not drinking water during your workout is probably one of the more dangerous things you can do not drug related. If you are in an area where it is hot, you may as well totally nix that idea.

I would say your best bet is to get up early, eat something small, and then both during and after your workout, consume fluids and nutrients. As others have said, doing the workout at night while you are thirsty and hungry is not going to be a productive workout and you likely will not derive much benefit. Also, if you are unused to working out early in the morning, make sure you spend a little more time on your warm up as the body will not be as prepared to do work as it would later in the day when you would normally be more fully awake. You will also have to try to figure out how much volume/intensity you can handle during ramadan and adjust your workouts accordingly. Oh yeah, and good luck! Not eating/drinking during the daytime? thats some pretty tough stuff IMO. lol

you need to consume atleast 1 gallon of water during the time period you can probably 2 gallons. its really not that difficult just get a gallon jug from walmart or you grocery store and fill it up and keep it by your side sipping through the time where you can eat and drink. 2 gallons would probably do the trick as long as you break your fast after your workout.

well i do get up in the morning and eat and drink (oats, eggs, yogurt and water)… so its not like i won’t have any water prior to my workout. Can’t really do any working at this time b/c my gym ois closed, and its way too early (ie 5:30 am).

So would it be better to workout earlier in the day (ie when i am less hungry or dehyrated) or later (ie right before breaking fast)… doing it after breaking isn’t really an option unless i want to sprint in the dark lol. Obviously i’ll make my sessions less intesne, but it comes down to which is more important: the pw meal or working out with less hunger/thirst. By the way its Canada, so it’s not hot now adays.

For all intensive purposes you are not having water prior to your workout. No water for hours and then working with no water during the workout and then no water even immediately after? Even if you do it the other way where you eat immediately after, your workout is probably going to be crap.

So would it be better to workout earlier in the day (ie when i am less hungry or dehyrated) or later (ie right before breaking fast)… doing it after breaking isn’t really an option unless i want to sprint in the dark lol. Obviously i’ll make my sessions less intesne, but it comes down to which is more important: the pw meal or working out with less hunger/thirst. By the way its Canada, so it’s not hot now adays.

If you are going to workout without water and not drink water after, you are putting yourself at an unreasonable health risk IMO. Maybe some other people will disagree, but that is one of the ways people DIE when working out, besides not making any significant progress. The food is one thing, but the water is an entirely different and much more serious issue.

Yeah, I have heard AT LEAST once of a football player or some athlete dieing of heat exhaustion or something related to dehydration (and they wern’t fasting I believe).

ok so if you were in my position what would you do?

It sounds like the better option would be to workout right before breaking the fast… but eitherway my workouts would probably suck…

try what i said…makes sense to me anyway.

I would never be in your situation, so I cannot say what I would do.