when is it time to let go?

well the thing is this, between classes, work, training myself and training others i am literally exhausted, i feel at the verge of collapsing.

now, all my athletes are faster than me (well both of them:P), i dont have someone over me to give me any short of proper massage and/or PNF which i perform on my athletes adding to the overall stress.

so, when did you know its time to let go of training your selfs and started focusing solely on others? Moreover how in gods name did you do it?

i love LOVE sprinting, the way it feels, the way it gets you tired. I dread at the day i will have to put my spikes on the shelve. So any advice?

Just do sprints and abs, don’t do training methods that you don’t have time for like weights etc., which might give you more time fro your athletes.

yeah, but i like my body (lol), i also like lifting:p

just reduce ur total training time maybe two full body strength session pc/bsq/bp, and two sprint sessions and if time permit maybe one tempo day, keep training time to 2hrs max per session.

For what it’s worth, epote, I can train for 1 hour or less 4-5 days per week and still run as well as if I train 2 hours per day 6 days per week.

Putting a ton of time into training isn’t always the answer. Ask Shirvington.

yea i couldnt imagine being a decent sprinter without time in the weight room.

depends what you classify as “decent” but there have been plenty of good 'uns who never pumped iron: Allan Wells (1980 100m Oly gold) and Kim Collins (2003 100 WCh gold) claim they had not lifted weights to the time of their most famous win, respectively.

the statement was towards myself. i dont think there is any way i would be a decent sprinter without weights. yea i have heard of a few guys never using weights. but i think Kim might have just been saying that because he couldne get big. i know for a while Jeremy Wariner was lifting his butt off and couldnt add much muscle on.

Well he’s damn powerful. He would have benefitted from the improved power-to-weight ratio and all of that… i think even Ben Johnson only weighed around 78kg in Seoul so his p2w ratio must have been immense

Well i did the oposite. I dropped sprinting and just worked on lifting and abs. I also spent the time learning new skills in other events. For me it was simply a matter of shifting the energy i saved into new things. I found the satisfaction I got back was the same, infact i liked the challenge.

When your love of the sport diminishes to a point where you love doing other things. Other things include but are not limited to; family, wife, kids, friends, other recreational sports.

Myself personally I don’t think I can’t let go as long as I still think I have shot at my dreams.

P.S. Letting go will be one of the hardest things you do! I believe the Russians deconditioned their athletes slowly. What that means in laymens terms is that perhaps you could let go of doing the weights and stick with track, and then eventually let go in time from doing track. On the other hand there’s always a masters division! :slight_smile:

when you can’t break 11?