Whats wrong?

So my son has always been a mid to low 22 sec 200m guy, all through high school, even posted a 21.9 summer before 10th grade, hand timed at a track camp at UT. This year, his senior year in High School, his best time so far is 23.3. He looks the same, has even taken off a little muscle bulk, he’s very muscular, a track coach told him to lose a little of that upper body bulk. Strange thing is, he raced a kid last week that ran at state last year in the low 22s and beat him, they both posted 23.3 range runs. Why are the times slower? He hasn’t lost any strength with the weight loss, he was really hoping to post a high 21 in an actual meet this year, he’s not even close to that.

What has the training been like this year versus last year?

Did you consider it might just be a bad day on the track considering another low 22 kid also ran a 23? What were the conditions- temp, wind, etc?

In previous years what was his time progression, eg. 22.8, 22.9, 22.6, 22.4, 22.5, 22.2? What has this years been? What about times in other races like the 100m or 400m?

It’s been a little windy at both meets he’s been in, but not that bad. His training, we thought has been the best he’s ever had. He actually went to Austin and got some really good coaching on an AAU team for the indoor season. He did this because he attends a very small school where track is an afterthought, coached by a football coach. Last year he thought he was gonna win a State Title in the 200, but pulled a hamstring at the Regional meet. He learned more about stretching and training in the last few months than in all his previous years combined. He ran in the 4x200 at the LSU classic and Houston university on a pretty slow team, but ran very well, making up quite a bit of ground on his opponents. Nobody got his split time.

Maybe we’re overreacting, it just seems like going under 22 is a very long way off from 23.3. He has set that goal for himself, he’s been told that’s what it takes to get serious looks from colleges to run track.

Hows the fitness levels compared to previous years?

He only runs the 200m, 4x200, and 4x100. He ran about 49 400m in practice. I’ve never really kept track of all his times in the past, didn’t realize he had such a passion for track, he also plays football and baseball. In past years he only talked about track during track season, this year, it’s been his top priority all year.

Again, in my estimation he’s in his best condition ever. He had never worked as hard as he did with the AAU track team in Austin. Granted, that did only last about two months, but he’s kept up with it on his own since then.

If he can run 49s for the 400 than his overall fitness is not a issue. Maybe early season rust. I wouldn’t panic. I have regularly seen guys drop from 21.3 to 20.7s within a season. In 2005/7 I went 23.2 to 22.61 within 4 weeks.

By the sound of things once he adds some speed his times should drop.

Well, that makes it sound better. I’ll be sure to have him read this thread when he gets home. I think that 23 number just messed with his head, and mine. I thought he was really moving, apparently he felt like he was running pretty good too, 'cause you should of seen his face when he saw that 23.3, total shock and dissapointment.

Its important to keep positive in track even when you post some poor times. Because eventually the performances will come. However if your get down on yourself thats when things usually go downhill.