What tape for taping for pain

i’m looking into getting some tape to place around my knee while I rehab it.

what dimensions should the tapes be? should both the underlying tape and tape over it be the same?

thx

Mate pay someone who knows to show you,

look into keniso tape.

Sounds like he is about to expirement on himself.

haha yeah you could put it that way. I can’t pay for anyone here. how many are there in the uk who could anyway, a handful with the national sports teams?

i should really… try everything else first and look around for someone. i don’t expect to find anyone but you never know

Footballers do it all the time, so do ballet dancers and basketball players.

Stop looking outside the square and look in the corners.

Most personal trainers should be able to
Physios
Dr’s - esp sports Dr’s

Your better off learning how to do it right the 1st time - correctly taped joints work a treat

The standard of physios and doctors when it comes to sports injuries around here is truly pitiful (understandably), unless you have a lot of money, or play sport internationally. I’ve yet to see good treatment for myself or anyone I know.

I see that looking around that it is not straightforward. If I can find someone I will.

I reasoned that if the difference in pain is noticeable immediately, it is worth trying myself as it should be easy to tell if you have done it right. I see there is a book on taping techniques, but would still look around for someone to show me soon.

Another reason is I’d actually like to train in sports therapy, but not right now.

What is it that you are looking to tape up? Is this for your self to learn how to tape or are you injured?

Some anterior knee pain. I am sorting out the patella tracking which is helping, but I would like to still do some exercises and minimise any irritation leading to further inflammation. I am looking to get some knee sleeves today for a start…

OK I got a sports therapy text from the library today and I see its quite complicated. I train where Linford’s group trains sometimes so I can find someone through there maybe.

Using e-stim for strength on my quads cleared that up for me. Also doing hamstring exercises using a full range of motion helped too. Again, look into Kenisio tape- easy cheap and it works. Look into traumeel gel. The stuff works wonders…

Would you say that e-stim is better than doing remedial exercises. I already know the progression from surgery on my other knee before (not training related).

Or are both together even better?

I have a lot of loosening of the IT band and lower legs to do as well.

It depends if you need stim for your quad cuz your calf is pulled then sure its better that way. BTW I pulled a calf just before indoors and had to train allan wells style (pull ups sit ups dips) at home all winter and stim as well. I got back to the track in may and started doing track work again. After it was all said and done I PR’d

I kinda do over kill when Im injured. Meaning I try everything reasonable all together before I go to the doctor. Usually a waste of a co-pay since all they do is send you to some young eager beaver phsysical therapist or tell you to rest. I’ve cleared up most injuries myself except for a shoulder surgery…

I’ve had a ton too :slight_smile: (trying to be a 19 yo again…)

The best things I’ve used for injuries are:
Traumeel (got that from CF) I use the gel though.
Keniso tape
Stim
and listening to my body before it starts to break down

Troll through the injury form too. There is a ton of good stuff there.

Good luck

Thanks. As I said I am very familiar with the remedial exercises, but sure could try that other stuff too. Step ups on a low platform (no shoes) have me shaking all over the place, same for tkes on leg extension. My vastus lateralis is huge, and my vastus medialis is tiny and weak.

At the moment I am now purely doing remedial exercises and foam rolling etc until I can do something better (it hurts walking up and down stairs). My ITB is very tender to touch. I’m shopping round all the different kinds of massage therapies out there to see which one is going to work out cheapest and get the job done. The worst part of ITB is so painful I may have to reluctantly try acupuncture and massage at a TCM place.

It feels like it is the upper medial facet of the patella and connected that is inflamed, I hope it is that simple.

P.S I met Alan Wells last year as I worked at the same university. He is quite good at golf, but I am better :D. I can’t remember his middle name but I will say if I remember.

His wife is a terrible trainer, I’ve seen her in action in the weight room.