What does it mean if I can't keep my upper back straight ?

Where is it said the 1st video is submax? Actually, it is submax, cause its a Start! If he is going Max speed in that, then he has issues!
he is trying as much as he is trying in the Video i have seen from Last wk Which is a far better Form.

And where did i say he is running 100% Quad?? Re-read the post where i say “Im not saying the glutes n hammies are taken completly out of the picture,” In case english is not your 1st language (there are ppl on here where it is not, you are perhaps one of them??) What that means is Hammies and Glutes are working but also with the added extra assistance of Quads.
Now that is a course for disaster with muscle pull around the corner. (OH wait, last season there was a hammie issue)

Now the video from LAST wk (now for you Fogolson, this is not one that is up on this thread, just so you know) shows full Hip Extension, shows really nice hip alignment and as such, his upper back is not curved. Yes his head is down, but not his upper back like the 1st video ON THIS THREAD. It shows what excellent running technique should look like.

He can and does run proper, just not in the 1st video with the rounded back (not talking about the sled pull, that has other issues). The rounded back is due to tightness, starting with HIP alignment which is causing his upper back to round. Neither which is ideal. A front view to see if he is even Rotating would be good too, but we don’t so cant comment, other than to say, i bet it maybe is a lot less than it normally is. Oh yeah, i do agree, if this was his normal technique day in day out, then eventually an injury is in order. Lucky its not :slight_smile:

Hopefully next wk, when he is running a lot less tight, and more free (around the hips and even his back) and he posts up a video,(if he does?) not only will you see better hip drive, the issue of the upper back will be gone! (though the head might be down? but its not an issue)

When there is an over loading of one muscle antagonist shortening of the muscle can occur and inhibition of the antagonist is apparent (reciprocal inhibition)

The problem with this is, and any movement that involves these muscles that are inhibited, will mean a corresponding increase in workload for the synergistic muscles.

For most athletes who follow mainly Anterior dominant programs there is an over load for the hip flexors and an inhibition of the glutes which results in the hamstrings taking even more workload when there is hip extension or antagonistic firing for hip flexion.

This is a simple process to avoid by ensuring that the hip flexor remain adequately flexible and one begins to work on Posterior Strength exercises.

As i said, he looked tight - “Hip Flexers”. He comes from a Quad dominant workout program that has vastly changed the last 6months, however, from time to time, for a little while, even if just slightly, the Anterior muscles will want to do some of the work, causing tightness.

Its nothing to worry about so long as one realizes whats going on, and warms up the required areas that get tight a bit more before sessions like this. Sometimes, spending just a few minutes with a foam roller as part of one’s warm up does Wonders.

I will for sure take more videos from front and side in high speed when it’s sunny… (Tomorrow maybe ? Im doing accels and split 60’s)
I have a related question - should I even mess with squats at all ? Or just stick to posterior chain lifts ?

My quad is enormous ( I mean seriously, it’s “bodybuilder” big ) My hamstring is also quite large, but not as large as my quads. What do you think ?

I am trying not to get confused here, for now I am just thinking "stay loose with therapy, don’t be lazy with the arms "

I would just forget this entire thread ever happened. :smiley:

Bold, your posts amuse me. Please continue.

Silencer, just run like you were before you started overthinking things recently. It just takes a lot of work + time + recovery. No secrets.

bump!!!..

Be a Better athlete and Therapy up, loosen up, Then Run!!

Im glad all they do is Amuse you! Fail to learn from them if you wish, but please, dont Ask me Q’s again if all you want to do is get angry or try to start up arguments. You just make yourself appear arrogant and foolish. And you do a good enough job at that yourself without bringing me into it. I have better things to do. However, others have learned, so not all is lost :slight_smile:

Alright heres another 30m block start from today:
Following that thread I:

1. Made sure I squeezed the glutes hard to create forward motion
  2. tied a longer rope to the tire (oh but that isn’t on that film, soon i’ll upload)
  3. TRIED to watch my head position… What I did this time is I rolled my eyeballs upwards to look a few meters ahead instead of on my hips …

Are we progressing here ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IYeoVM4PZs

tire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXmJQz_TO8

Are these block starts full speed? You need to be more explosive out of the blocks.

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the blocks but it seems that you are falling/running out of the blocks rather than exploding out. First thought was that your stance is spread out too far.

Both feet are too far from the line. Your leg is still folding up to your butt like TWhite and RB mentioned (too high of heel recovery).

mmmm yes there is no limit there, full speed
the blocks are 2 and 2 fingers for front and 3 and 2 fingers for rear…
Closer u say, i’ll see what i can do…

Yea it does look like I run off the blocks … but just for that reason ! I feel like if I take my time to explode and extend, I am losing my frequency and I get left out in the blocks by the rest…
That’s what I feel anyway

Focus more on the push for the initial strides rather than frequency. Drive out of the blocks.

Kinda like what I am doing with the tire there in the 2nd vid ? Low carryover ? kinda like bounding with power, is that it ?
BTW at least is the running itself a bit better ? I’ll take care of the block settings and drive…

Jesus just run. Look at your older videos–they were fine (heel recovery was fine, back was fine, etc.). Go do that and faster and you’ll be good.

Hey Silencer…Firstly keep up the hard work…its starting to pay dividends. Ok…The 30m block start you need to be more explosive out of the blocks and pump the arms more aggressively. The position you’re in at the set position wont allow this. Why? Because the block faces are too steep. As a basic rule the back should be one notch higher than the front. Drop the front to the lowest setting and the back one at one notch. This will help you to have the feet flush on the block pads to start with. Keep things simple. Dont over complicate things. Flick the lead hand and pump the arms. Scramble out of the blocks as my old coach told me. Charlie has always said let the feet do their own thing.

The tire pull your first movement is up then forward. You’re wasting too much time and its an unnecessary movement. Forward,forward,forward. The back leg is too straight so you’ll get no push from that. Deep knee angles will keep the drive lower and propell you forward horizontally better. Again the use of arms is very pedestrian even though its in slow mo. Pump them arms man! Hope this helps.

The running itself looks good in the block start - Feet placement seems good re-away from line, you do have really long legs, agreed about the Angle of the pads that Jason says and agree about “running out of the blocks” instead of Driving out of them. It wont take long to learn to drive the 1st few strides then Into running like you did here. You just have to learn to meld them together.

Tire pull - Look at your feet carefully, either the rope is pulling you sideways or your hips are out? Your Right foot, the sole is facing the camera (slightly) and your Left foot the sole of your foot is facing Away from the camera. This can easily happen when the rope is not dead set in alignment with your spine. Also, your arms, esp your left one, keeps driving even after 20m!

Otherwise, your upper back seems Heaps better as does your hip drive.

Jason, what do you mean by “Deep knee angles” ? Can you explain a little more about what you mean please? Cheers :slight_smile:

Damn, I guess sprinting is a science after reading this thread!!!

When can we start talking about spine engine theory?