what do you think about this

Running Speed in Mammals Increases with Muscle n-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Content
Thomas Ruf*, Teresa Valencak, Frieda Tataruch, Walter Arnold

Research Institute of Wildlife Ecology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Austria

Abstract
Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) are important dietary components that mammals cannot synthesize de novo. Beneficial effects of PUFAs, in particular of the n-3 class, for certain aspects of animal and human health (e.g., cardiovascular function) are well known. Several observations suggest, however, that PUFAs may also affect the performance of skeletal muscles in vertebrates. For instance, it has been shown that experimentally n-6 PUFA-enriched diets increase the maximum swimming speed in salmon. Also, we recently found that the proportion of PUFAs in the muscle phospholipids of an extremely fast runner, the brown hare (Lepus europaeus), are very high compared to other mammals. Therefore, we predicted that locomotor performance, namely running speed, should be associated with differences in muscle fatty acid profiles. To test this hypothesis, we determined phospholipid fatty acid profiles in skeletal muscles of 36 mammalian species ranging from shrews to elephants. We found that there is indeed a general positive, surprisingly strong relation between the n-6 PUFAs content in muscle phospholipids and maximum running speed of mammals. This finding suggests that muscle fatty acid composition directly affects a highly fitness-relevant trait, which may be decisive for the ability of animals to escape from predators or catch prey.

This is very interesting. What about the health issues and what do omega 3 acids do to this?

about the healt issue, I know that an elevated O6 to O3 ratio is correlated with inflammation, increased risk (but no very high) of cardiac and cancer problems. It’s very strange that a lot of metabolic patway correlated with speed and strenght in general, are correlated with increased risk of cancer or cardiac problems.

about omega 3, they are the denominator, so more omega 3, less ratio omega 6/o3. I don’t know the molecular pathway, but, at this point, I can imagine that the increased inflatmatory pathway can correlate with increased speed, probably it increased White/red fiber, or the mitocondial genes.

sorry if I can’t explicate very well, but my english is very poor (I’m thinking in go to Canada to learn it :smiley: some medical interchange)