What classes to take in school to become a good S & C coach

I’m a 1st year Kinesiology student wondering what elective classes would be helpful in supplementing my required kines. classes. My career goal is to become a strength and conditioning coach catering mostly to the team sport athlete (hockey, football, soccer players etc.)

I’m aware that science classes are the way to go, but I’m just wondering which sciences and which specific focus within that science are best. I’m also aware that most of you wouldn’t be able to recommend a specific class since you’re probably not associated with my university. That’s not what I’m looking for, I’m just looking for some general suggestions. Should I try to get into some biochemistry classes? What about physics? cell biology? etc.

Your basic Anatomy, Physiology, Nutrition, Sports Psychology, Introduction to Athletic Training for starters… Of course some of these classes may have pre-requisities, for example physiology may require chemistry, anatomy may require biology, etc…

Those should set you off with a good base then you can delve into specifics geared towards your emphasis.

Biomechanics would be great too. Another thing to consider is a class or two on statistics or experimental design. (A real stats class with good mathematical rigor, not the “this is a mean, this is the standard deviation” stats class). Being able to wade through the current research requires this knowledge.

Quikz
Here’s my two cents:
Yes, the classes are important,but they’re not everything. (Hell, I was pre-law, but that’s a different post)
More importantly, in my opinion, is- do you play a sport? If so, great. If not, or if you do and have time, you need to get involved one way or another with your Strength & Conditioning department NOW. Volunteer your time. Beg to do this if necessary. Being around how a program is run is critical, not to mention the contacts you could make. (A portion of this business is WHO you know, not what you know)
If you can’t, for whatever reason, do it at your school, find one nearby where you can…
If none of these are an option, and you don’t play a sport, find a way to be a team “manager”. Pick a sport that you like, and volunteer your time there. You need to get your foot in the door somewhere!
Good luck

Thanks for the input guys.

devils, I’ll definately look into getting involved with a team in some way or another.

However, I don’t think my school has an actual strength and conditioning department. I study in Canada and have a feeling that we don’t spend as much money on sports and training as american schools. The athletes work out in the same gym, albeit a very nice one, as the students. There is also rarely ever a strength and conditioning coach present to supervise the athletes, this is obvious due to the terrible form I see athletes weight training with.

I think how it works here is my school’s athletic department brings in local trainers who put together programs for the teams, show the players how do them once or twice and then leave them to their own devices.

If my assumption here is true, and I’m very positive it is, then I’ll definately have to look elsewhere for experience.