What Can We Learn from Richard Thompson's Silver?

They are two of the groups, as AC described. I didn’t include the 400m/400mh/etc. workouts–only the ones that were for or included g1, which is what Richard Thompson was in.

Also wonder if intensive tempo actually is by my def.
If Thompson is ready for 20.0
This is from 2006. He was in like 10.5-10.6 shape for the vast majority of that year and I’m not even sure if he broke 21 (the previous year, he ran 10.6w, so that is the kind of shape he was for these fall workouts).

, then the conservative measure of extensive tempo is 20 div by .75 = 26.6 or slower if they are done on the track. Are they??
Is the 400 hard way (8x50) done back and forth?? We did that out to 6x50 or 5x60. This increases accel emphasis and allows a pace faster than possible via a continuous SE run.
The program has obviously been very successful and is worth as close a look as we can get.

If these were from when he was anywhere near his 2008 shape, then you might be right. The thing is, this is from the year where he went from 10.6w to… 10.2low in a single season (within about 2-3 months in the competitive season). Take that for what you will. With that in mind, I have no idea how it could be construed as extensive tempo.

21.0 (if he was even in that shape going into 2006) /.75=28.

Can you give us an example of an intensive tempo workout because every workout I and others tend to think is intensive tempo tends to be either “really fast” extensive tempo or some sort of split up special endurance in your definition, so there must be some misunderstood part of the definition here…

nobody can run fast and do intensive tempo. It’s just not possible.

Is 19.63 for 200m not fast??

X-Man never did intensive tempo. Again intermediate speed doesn’t get guys fast and doesn’t work. Look at him now all the intermediate work ruined his fast twitch.

I’m sure X-man was in that LSU training group along with Richard Thompson. Didn’t X-man PR in the 100 at the trials this year?

Charlie said it’s not intensive tempo mon.

Well he said he had different definitions. I’m sure somewhere on that program, they are running 150s in 17, 18, 19 seconds off say 4 minutes or so. I’m sure Davan can clairfy that a little for me. What would you classify that as?

If he was above 21 it was intensive and later extensive as far as I see it. I remember Gerrard’s idea of intensive tempo- and it was in the 22s in the late stages for guys nowhere near this fast. I felt it led to lesser results in the SE and a lot more injuries- but, hey, that’s just IMO.
As far as extensive tempo goes, you can also do it as back and forth runs (ie 4x50s replacing 200s)

On “400 the hard way” (8X50), what is the pace (in %) and what is the rest?

Just want to echo these questions…

Also- could it be that their sprint work (in pretty high volumes) takes care of the high intensity portion of training while the focus on general strength/remedial work/bodybuilding stuff gives them the needed somatype without the need to “expresses their organism strength through heavy weights”?

To revert back to the way Flash described it in a post he made somewhere a few days ago- have they found a way to raise their specific work capacity such that they can handle all (or “enough”) of their high intensity work in the form of sprints leaving weights to only fill in a role for general fitness/hypertrophy instead of being there to “top off” the CNS work?

^^ That would be a very likely scenario at the elite levels of performance/crazy high CNS ouputs, imo

I have no idea how you could tolerate such volumes in pure speed work, even with lots of therapy, so I’m not sure, mreyon. When you get well over 2000m a week of high intensity (or middle intensity) work, I think it’d be very difficult to recover from.

I would think so too but 10.6 --> 9.8 ain’t failure in my book :wink:

There’s is not enough bandwith on this site for a list of people who did InT and ran fast my friend.

My understanding is at 90+%, possibly closer to 95%. The volume is built very gradually. The operative portion is “hardway” not the distance.

I think he’s being facetious.

I think he is too. Many seem to look at Int Tempo as a logical progression from Ext Temp to Speed/Special Endurance and it has worked for many athletes and many coaches. One thing I have noticed in those that use this approach is that it is not as if they are doing month after month of Int Tempo.

I’m such a literalist :wink:

I’ve seen them run on the Parade Grounds here…nice stretch of grass that’s probably 300 meters across.

Sorry, but he ran 10"27 in 2006…not 10 "6
And 10"47 in 2005.
http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/letter=T/country=TRI/athcode=206487/index.html