westside

45 squats at a fast velocity was done…I am not sure of the load and type.

My parallel “vs” my full squat.

(take no notice if u’ve allready read my thread titled as the above.)

When I do parallel squats I don’t seem to get much progression. The only reason I do parallel squats is becuase the knee does not go above parallel when sprining and becuase Ben Johnson did paralel squats.
However, whenever I’ve done full olympic style squats the proression is allways very aparent and pleasing. This is quite bizzarr and I wonder why. I have long levers and when I do parallel squtas there is some degree of forwards lean, that’s for sure. Yet, when I do full squats (and with a slightly narrower stance) there is not as much forwards lean.
So the full squat seems to help me concentrate more on the leg drive, not just butt and back.
In the full squat the but is much closer behind (and down) towards the ankle than in the parallel squat so the irony for me is that the full squat shortens the lever discrepensies more than the parallel squat.
In the full squat I am also able to dissinhibit the golgi-tendon organ reflex by resting at the bottom of the lift for 3 to 5 seconds before driving upweards. I think this deffinately makes a differance to strength gains. Ofcourse I could “puase” in the parallel squat but it would not be as good disinhibition becuase there would still be a lot of tension/energy supporting the weight.
I recall my best ever squat lift was for “x” amount of weight for 6 reps strict in full squat fashion. This was when I was about 18 or 19 years old. I’m 28 right now. Several months ago I started doing full squats after no training for 3 months. Within 3 sessions I was full squatting (comfortably) for 3 reps what I had parallel squatted for 2 reps several months earlier!! " £ $ % ^ & * ? ( ) ! !
For some reason, I did not carry on with the full squats, (probably my subconscious telling me to stop doing things I can become good at, again).(I’m on to it)
Anyway, anybody else have a similar scenario for preffering one way of doing a lift over another becuase of leverage or similar factors??
…and, what do u guys think I should do?
I need more thigh developement though and I think the parallel squat offers more quad stimulas?
How about I do;

Olympic full squat
front squat or elevated heel squat
glute ham raises.

Please critique;

Id like to see the program. Thanks

I’d do both lifts parallel and full
I’d keep the parallel box squats as a DE exercise and use the full squat/full front squat as ME exercise or supplemental lift, assuming a WSB template is used

Adam,
Please expand upon Joe Ken’s use of the WS template.