Weight Training the day after a game...

has anyone heard of, or used weight training the day after a game as part of the recovery process?

yes, lighter weights and higher reps - bb style. i usually like to take have a rest day after comp day.

At the college level, we most certainly do!

We usually play on Sat & Wed, and we’ll lift on Mondays and Thursdays…

Yes and with no problems. It depends on the impacts if the body has been hit, eg corked thigh. But then you can do alternate gym exercises.

The training organisation of impact team sports have always interested me in regards to what they do for strength or power in season. I have always maintained for my guys that the real games don’t start til the finals so all reasonable training is good training til you work toward the peak for that time.

I am using this, this week to see how the guys feel as we have a short turnaround between games so we stayed with upperbody weights only.

Yesterday/Sunday - day game in 26 celcius temp, after game hot/cold baths, protein drinks bars and decent meal.
Monday - walking touch football before weights for a warm up then swim in the ocean after weights.
Tues - off
Wed - am light speed session/ skills
Thurs - am skills
Friday night game

we had a good win yesterday so spirits are up if we win this week and we top the table nearing the halfway mark.

The recovery and further fitness development is fairly individual so it must be hard to coordinate each individual with the whole team…

Which team are you with?

Here is another possible option. Two lift sessions vs one.

Sun - lift after the game (if home game)
Mon - Tempo / recovery
Tue - off
Wed - am skills - speed / Lift
Thur - am tempo / skills
Fri - night game

Depends on levels of fatigue, but sure higher reps - a great way to get a hit in

Hi Nap

remember i work with a pro team and i have made huge inroads already by getting the staff to drop the endless 400’s and 1500’s from previous years, so trying to get gym in twice a week will be HUGE.lol

generally on a short week i would just drop the weights completely as in season i am happy to go with 1 session, almost every week now we play in very hot conditions, on hard picthes and the speed of the games are very fast.

will be interesting to see how they are this morning for the first session back, we have used a 24 minute step down ems program for recovery this year which worked great just have to get my club to buy the system :eek:

I am not a fan of post comp weight sessions, why would you want to shorten muscle length further? However if the weight activities used target alternate muscle groups then this problem may be averted.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is this?

Here are some of the reasons:
1- Athletes have limited time (very efficient way to utilize their time)
2- Athletes are already warm
3- Athletes will only lift with what they have left
4- Utilization of the same and complementary energy stores
5- Allows for a proper regenerative program the following day (in my opinion a much smarter choise than lifting the next day and tapping into the same energy pools! before the athlete has been regenerated?)

As you stated the game is a tightning (of muscles) activity and so is lifting they compliment one another and can be followed by a light post 12-15 min tempo activity to loosen the muscles before athletes depart.

If an athlete is too fatigued to lift, then post tempo activity.

Ian

here is what our ems recovery the day after a game was.

its an Active Recovery program of a duration of twenty minutes. The session is initiated with stimulation at very low frequencies, from 9 to 1 Hz which decrease progressively and automatically every two minutes. The session finishes at a very low frequency of 1 Hz. The reason for this type of progression is as follows: a very specific type of activity is imposed on muscle fibers which allows them not only to recover more efficiently from a streneous activity but also it considerably decreases muscular spasms. Parallel to this decreasing of frequency, there is an automatic increment in the amplitude of the impulses in order to progressively recruit more muscle fibers.

9 to 1Hz it’s a really great range for recovery.

I have used it too, and still use it sometime.

rogue

keen to hear how you / your guys felt using the EMS for recovery…

Thanks Nanny69