Weight of bats

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/342309.html

The article says that heavy bats are ruining young players. The weights of a full size bat range from about 2 Lbs 6 Oz to a maximum ( called heavy) of 3 Lbs. Thats a few Ounces in weight difference.

Sure the weaker guys may need lighter bats to help their efficiency, but is this not relative to how strong the player is? The ‘scientific study’ conducted by coaches and his conclusion that everyone should use a light bat has no real basis as the man in question is not a sports scientist and there is no data to back up what he says. Most of these conclusions seem to be based on arbitrary observations.

comments?

I have always been told that the weight of the bat is always better to be low whether you are stronger or not. The bat speed is the most essential part of getting power. I mean if you can swing a 30 oz. bat at 98 and a 33 oz bat at 95, then by all means im sure the heavy bat is better. But the problem with the heavier bats is that often times I’ve realized that it tends to lengthen the swing and also causes big problems when it comes to the back shoulder/hands dropping in the swing.

This is a Cricket article and not a baseball article. Bat weight in Cricket is different than baseball, it is much heavier. The game is also much different as you play shots more than you try to drive the ball, so a heavier bat would be easier to use in that instance.

As for baseball Mass x Velocity is the optimal goal. You want to use the heaviest bat you can get through the strike zone in time.

As for mechanical issues, they are mechanical issues. A good swing does not change much in action from bat weight other than velocity. It does however, hinder the learning of a good swing with young developing athletes.