Weight gain

What suggestions might some of you make (football players I’m looking at you) for an athlete trying to gain weight, while retaining all of the athletic abilities they have worked so hard on (most importantly skill and speed/agility)?

Have a nice day,
Adam Marshall

Number of Rules for Team Sports:

If you’re fast - You can’t be caught
If you can’t be caught - You can’t be hit
If you can’t be hit - You can’t be injured by another
If you not injured you can win
Every extra lb of ‘useless’ muscle carried must be moved.
For every extra lb of muscle - You must be stronger to move it.
Every extra lb of ‘useless’ muscle makes you slower.
If you’re slower - You can be caught
If you can be caught - You can be hit
If you can be hit - You can be injured
If you’re injured you can’t win

no, you aren’t too harsh or cynical.
people like visible results!

A larger volume of strength work is what one should do in order to gain muscle mass, this is my opinion - comments?

Marshall,

Proper training program.

Eat - preferrabley good, clean, wholesome food, and lots of it.

Make sure they take in enough protein.

No junk food and empty calories.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_2.htm

Some people, are not fans of JB’s work, but, it is a place to start.

Whilst at his website, have a look around, alot of good info there (in my opinion).

From a personal point of view, the 3 meals which are inportant on puting on weight (in no particular order)

During and post-workout drink
2nd post workout meal
breakfast

Let’s go deeper in to proper training program.

What is a good maintenance load of speed and agility work?

What is a good strategy for hypertrophy functional to athletics?

Originally posted by marshall
What is a good strategy for hypertrophy functional to athletics?

This might be a little simplistic but …
For a team sport there are 2 requirements:

1. To be strong (… to move yourself, ride tackles, absorb forces, blows, run etc)

2. To be of a ‘certain’ weight so that you are not knocked over easily. The M in the equation F = M x A

Functional STRENGTH is the MOST important, if you’re strong enough you’re generally good enough.

M is not near as important as Strength, in most sports.

In my opinion - this goes against most periodistion theories - the hypertrophy phase is incredibly over-rated …

You will build some mass with ANY Strength program

Comments?

The training aspect would not be my forte, especially for football.

However, Louie Simmons does a good job in selling their Westside Barbell Method of Periodization for football players.

Develops the correct motor qualities and targets the desired muscle groups.

Only my opinion.

:clap: Good post 23!

I tend to agree. Unless there are structural deficiencies, train to get strong and improve your strength : weight ratio. Your mass will take care of itself.

This next point might be pushing it a little too - but anyway here goes …

I suspect some/many personl strength and conditioning coaches train their athletes in the off-season to arrive back to training looking great, with bigger muscles, lower BF%'s ripped abs etc.
The athlete looks great, the trainer gets the credit and more $$.

If the athlete gets injured as a result of an imbalance etc, the player has to take the blame, but rarely is the PT looked at.

Am I too harsh and cynical?

Rules for Beach:
If you have extra muscle you can look good on the beach

No23,

In response to the your post about injuries and blame, I couldn’t agree more. for example, we had a discussion about how big and strong a certain athlete (WR)looks, on this board. This athlete is trained by a man who doesn’t like to do speed training year round. Well, that athlete was shelved with a knee injury last season. turns out one of this “Guru’s” (his term, not mine) baseball players was constantly dealing with hamstring and back problems. On his website, this guru says he only does six weeks MAX of trunk rotational work per year. Maybe instability in the trunk is contributing to lack of integrity in the lower body. I don’t know, I am still a long way from knowledgable. It just seems that the emphasis is on form, rather then function with these athletes, just the opposite of Mr. Francis’ philosophy.