WEE TIMMY TALKS ABOUT GLASGOW, DWAIN TALKS...ABOUT DWAIN!

Montgomery and Chambers set for fresh showdown

LONDON, June 14 (AFP) - The world’s fastest sprinter,Tim Montgomery, is to go head to head with Britain’sEuropean champion Dwain Chambers for the first timesince the American set the 100m record of 9.78sec inParis last year.
Chambers finished second in that race with a time of9.87sec that equalled Linford Christie’s Europeanrecord. The two have not met since.
Montgomery will also line up against former worldjunior champion Mark Lewis-Francis at an internationalmeeting of the United States, Russia and Britain atGlasgow on June 29.
The American is using the race as part of his build-upto the world championships in Paris in August, where heis aiming to win gold to add to the silver medal he wonbehind Maurice Greene two years ago in Edmonton.
Im looking forward to the match, its always apleasure to run in Britain and to represent my countryagainst world-class opposition,'' Montgomery said. Chambers, who is on the comeback trail after injuryand a split from long-time coach Mike McFarlane, said hewas looking forward to the chance to turn the tables onMontgomery. Tim raised the bar for the 100 metres in Paris lastSeptember, but hell have a tough job to beat me on homesoil this year,’’ Chambers said.
Lewis-Francis, who beat Commonwealth champion KimCollins and Chambers in a race in the Czech city ofOstrava on Wednesday, sounded equally bullish.
``Im confident that I can win for Britain and beatingMontgomery would be a big boost to my preparations forthe world championships.’’

Chambers has a long way to go to run times that are even “in the same ballpark” with last years results. From the IAAF list to date he has only run 10.16(with a 0.0 wind) for the season. I’m not saying he can’t do it but he is going to have to sharpen up rather quickly to beat TM in a few weeks.

What did Dwain run in the early season last year?

Chambers ran his best times (races) later in the season at the big meets; that being European Championships and IAF final.

One will have to wait to the World Champs in Paris before determining whether Chambers has had a bad year.