Vo2 Max with Sprinters

I was able to get my Vo2 max tested last week
and I would to compare my results with other sprinters who had a similar test done.

Here are my results:

Vo2/kg VCO2 RER
STPD STPD 13.7 METS
ml/kg/m L/min
4.06 L/min 48.1 ml/kg/min

Grade slope:
at 2:00 min 2%

at 4:00 min 4%

at 6:00 min 6%

at 8:00 min 8%

at 10:00 min 10%

Stopped at 11:38 very tired :mad:

Max Heart Rate: 171

Heart Rate Stats:
at 2:00 min 146

at 4:00 min 155

at 5:00 min 159

at 7:45 min 166

at 9:46 min 169

at 10:50 min 171

at 11.15 min 171 pooped out :frowning:

Looking over my results it looks as if I am in great shape for a 100m/200m sprinter.
I feel I am lacking a tremendous amount of strength lower and upper body.
I would like to compare my results w/ others to see if there’s a trend w/ sprinters
as far as the Vo2 max and the standards.

Kenny Mac~~~~

Age 28.
100m - 11.4
200m - 23.0

VO2 max 55mls/kg/min

I’m gonna guess that most sprinters will have a higher maximum heart rate then projected.

Kellyb, don’t assume, measure it!

Kenny Mac, how did you come to this conclusions and relationships between your results and your 100/200 m (predicted) performances?

Also, how are you planning to apply these results? Directly in training? By doing the same test later on and comparing the two?

And lastly, what do you think such results will tell you?

Thanks!

Well thanks for asking because after I read my post I really didn’t make myself clear.

I want to compare results first of all just to see.
But I lack training endurance i.e. I have a hard time running back to back 60’s w/ longer rest or short rest, secondly my 200m times don’t add up to my 100m times. 10.8’s I should be running at least 22.00 in the 200? It’s not that I get fatigue as far as cardio it’s a fast build up of lactic acid :frowning:

The Vo2 test I ant to see how my gases/O2 were acting :smiley:

Kenny Mac~~~~~~

Curiocity is a good thing, but by what you are saying you lack Speed Endurance, not endurance as such and such tests won’t tell you anything about this element.

Anyway, enjoy the experience! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kenny Mac]Well thanks for asking because after I read my post I really didn’t make myself clear.

I want to compare results first of all just to see.
But I lack training endurance i.e. I have a hard time running back to back 60’s w/ longer rest or short rest, secondly my 200m times don’t add up to my 100m times. 10.8’s I should be running at least 22.00 in the 200? It’s not that I get fatigue as far as cardio it’s a fast build up of lactic acid :frowning:

The Vo2 test I ant to see how my gases/O2 were acting :smiley:
(Quote)

Sorry you have gas- but a Vo2max doesn’t tell you anything useful. If you want to know what’s up, check your Special End times. If your 300 SE is good, you’re ok, but if it sucks…

BTW, back to back 60s are tough on the CNS. You might be better to try something longer- like 150+150 or 200+100 (+ = 60 to 90 sec break between runs for two reps with at least 20min between sets)

They should they be run at 95-100% … correct?

that’s right. The specific runs chosen should best reflect your abilities, not your weaknesses. You can then move forward instead of spinning your wheels with work that you just can’t improve on.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by “The specific runs chosen should best reflect your abilities, not your weaknesses” ? Don’t you want to work on distances where your weak that will benefit you?

Sorry if I clearly misunderstood what you said, I just want to be sure I understand. :slight_smile:

no, if youre not built to be a long sprinter, youre not built to be a long sprinter. thus running 300s for SE may help some runners whereas they will be nearly useless for other sprinters. CF mentioned in one of his books that ben felt drained from 300s, and dropping them from the program helped him a lot. though im sure he continued to use 300s with others, especially women sprinters.

Individual data for elite female sprinters:

VO2max (ml/min/kg) / Aerobie (km/h) / Anaerobie (km/h) / Name, 100m, 200m
49.0 / 10.0 / 12.6 / C.RÉGA 11.15, 22.72
54.1 / 11.5 / 13.2 / M-C. CAZIER 11.23, 22.32

Studies were done in France a couple of decades ago with a gourp of elite athletes:

Men’s 100/200
age 21,9
heigth 1,80 m
weight 73,3 kg
VO2max 57,9 ml.min.kg
MHR 197

Men’s 400
age 23,3
heigth 1,816 m
weight 72,4 kg
VO2max 61,4 ml.min.kg
MHR 195,6

Women’s 100/200
age 22,6
heigth 1,70 m
weight 59,3 kg
VO2max 53,4 ml.min.kg
MHR 197,8

Women’s 400
age 23,1
heigth 1,687 m
weight 58,1 kg
VO2max 57,1 ml.min.kg
MHR 198,6

I don’t have their mean 100/200/400 performances though.
A study done by Hervé Stéphan on 12 female 400m runners (52.25-58.24) shows there is no corelation on 400m performance and VO2 max.
However, a high energetic aerobic potential will help to realise a higher volume of speed endurance work. Now, this volume of work is always difficult to translate into a fast 300m trial which is a best indication of your special endurance.

This is a good read
http://www.elitetrack.com/sprintingaerobicpower.pdf
Dan Fichter

VERY INTENSE TRAINING IS TIME EFFICIENT J Appl Physiol VOL 98
JUNE 2005 www.jap.org

My kids love me every fall when I tell them that they never have to jog for me except to warmdown at the end of a day.

The flip side comes when I tell them that their distance running buddy can go out and drink the night before a meet cause the distance runner’s VO2Max isnt impaired by a poor nights sleep, while a Speed and Power kids CNS is…

I’ve been told that VO2Max is 90% genetic and it can be topped off after 6-8 weeks of training. Sound accurate?

I’m of the opinion that it’s another useless measurement that predicts nothing. It’s more about being able to operate at a higher percentage throughout rather than absolute measurement.

Vo2 max is essentially an aerobic measurement. So I can`t see it has too much relevance to a sprinter, certainly over 100/200.

Figures of 70-80 are certainly known amongst top distance runners and X-country skiers.

As you can see from the post by Pierejohn the figures for elite sprinters are nothing special - because they don`t need to be.

Not sure it is a useless measurment that predicts nothing..... It is just one predictor for events where aerobic capacity are paramount.

Why has Lance Armstrong, record Tour de France winner have the highest VO2 max ever recorded then?

Because he trains a lot and has “useful genes” for that purpose? :wink:

Seriously: VO2 max might have a big impact on endurance, but even in endurance sports it does not explain the result fully, some good points from:

http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/hampson.html

How do some elite runners make up for lower levels of VO2 max?

Although all elite runners have VO2 max values well above the population mean, the correlation between VO2 max and performance is not absolute. Derek Clayton only had a VO2 max of 69 ml/kg/min. and Frank Shorter only recorded a value of 71 ml/kg/min., yet both of these runners ran marathon times of under 2:11 and surely outperformed runners with higher values. This variation in VO2 max values among the elite is possible because VO2 max is only one of several factors that determine running performance. These other factors include mental attitude (ability to tolerate pain), running economy (how efficiently one runs), and lactate threshold (fastest pace you can maintain without accumulating large amounts of lactic acid in your blood). A runner with a relatively low VO2 max, but high in these other performance factors, could outperform a runner with a significantly higher VO2 max but with poor running economy and a low lactate threshold. For example, Derek Clayton and Frank Shorter compensated for their lower VO2 max values with their high efficiency and ability to run their marathons at a high percentage of their VO2 max without accumulating too much lactic acid (high lactate threshold).

Factors like the mentioned “running economy” might be mayor factors in long distance running, in sprinting you have a lot of more important factors like strenght etc…
That’s why I’d agree that a certain vo2 max predicts nothing for sprints, although I would not expect a guy with vo2 max 30 to run a sub 21.00 200m either, simply because he could not even survive the load of speed training :wink:

what does racing for days and weeks on end have to do with the sprints?

I didnt say it did. I was just replying to his post that VO2 was a figure that meant nothing.